A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: recycled felted sweater purselet with needlefelted designs  (Read 3157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2005 06:35:06 AM »

here's my first felted purse- i felted a thrift store sweater, cut it up and resewed it, knit a handle, and add needlefelted embellishments.  so tiny.  so cheap.  so satisfying. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005 08:21:04 AM »

Yes, but oh sooooo nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mos mom
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005 07:39:27 PM »

What a darling purse, Firefly!  Would you mind letting us in on your sewing technique -- what kind of thread did you use to sew it together -- yarn, embroidery thread, etc.  Also, what pattern did you use for the handle -- do you have anything in the handle to make it stiffer?  What did you use for embellishments?  Did you have a pattern book or just designed it yourself?  Thanks for sharing with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005 05:34:10 AM »

What a darling purse, Firefly!  Would you mind letting us in on your sewing technique -- what kind of thread did you use to sew it together -- yarn, embroidery thread, etc.  Also, what pattern did you use for the handle -- do you have anything in the handle to make it stiffer?  What did you use for embellishments?  Did you have a pattern book or just designed it yourself?  Thanks for sharing with us.

i used the same yarn that i knit the handle with to sew up the sides. no pattern for the handle- basically just several rows of knit stitch...nothing added for stiffness (thought it's wool yarn and knit fairly tightly).  the embellishment is dyed wool that i needlefelted to the bag- no pattern, just my imagination Smiley

thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005 06:14:14 AM »

Beautiful!  It looks like something you'd see in the window of a swanky boutique, but would never dream of being able to afford!

How was sewing the felted sweater?  Did it give your sewing machine any problems?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005 07:44:26 AM »

Beautiful!  It looks like something you'd see in the window of a swanky boutique, but would never dream of being able to afford!

How was sewing the felted sweater?  Did it give your sewing machine any problems?

i hand sewed it (don't know the name of the stitch- you bring the needle through the back and around the edge and through the back again...)

i bought a sewing machine last year, but i still don't know how to thread it!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sscoffin
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005 04:45:00 AM »

Hi,
   I'm new to this group, but am amazed at the expertise!! I have gone off the deep end with buying wool sweaters to felt into purses....the ultimate Bag Lady!!  I have had some awful experiences, but have learned a lot. 
   First, you have to have 100% wool--no nylon or other synthetics. Next, I take the sweater apart, starting with the sleeves.  If I'm lucky, I can find a thread to pull, which gives me yarn to darn with, etc.  Next, I felt the sleeves to get an idea of how the wool will work out.  This gives me felted fabric, oh so exciting, to craft with.  It also lets me know how I should proceed with the rest of the sweater.  I usually sew, then felt. Again, the sleeves tell me how much felting to do, all in my washer.   If the felted sleeves are soft and thin enough, I can sew the fabric with my machine.  I make tube handles from the scraps, pull them thru to the right side, and attach by hand. 
   I am very kind to my machine.  I clean it out of fuzz every so many sewings.  I am also kind to my washer.  I use pillowcases to bag the items; even then the fuzz seeps out.  My husband is just waiting to have to take the washer apart!!  I put in a pair of garden shoes to add to the agitation.
   Thanks for the opportunity to chat.  Would love to hear your responses.
Sarina

THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005 10:32:26 AM »

sscoffin- thanks for the tips!  that's what's so great about these forums is that we can save each other from making the same mistakes.  do you have any photos of your bags to post?  i'd love more inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary Bell
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005 08:38:08 PM »

This is very cool!! It really could come from an expensive boutique like Sewer Rat mentioned...

I am sorry for being dim but is felting like the boiled wool my sister was telling me about?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005 09:35:32 AM »

This is very cool!! It really could come from an expensive boutique like Sewer Rat mentioned...

I am sorry for being dim but is felting like the boiled wool my sister was telling me about?

that's one method- i machine-washed the sweater in hot water and then machine-dried it. the accents were needlefelted  onto the sweater segment.

there's also the soap and water method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Open-Faced Grilled Cheese Sandwich
How to Make a Garlic Chicken BLT
How to Make a Sushi-Inspired California Roll Burger
BBQ Chicken on the Grill Recipe
Flank Steak Recipe With Scallion Salsa
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...