A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Refurbished Raccoon  (Read 1637 times)
Tags for this thread: yard_art , kitsch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iratokid
« on: October 09, 2008 05:42:27 PM »

So. I went to visit my dad in Florida for a month over the summer, and we definitely think alike.  Apparently a few months ago, he had been driving through his neighborhood and saw what looked like a ceramic raccoon on the side of the road that looked like it needed some attention.  So, in the pouring rain, he stops and picks it up and puts it in his car.  When I arrived at his house, I was told it was my job to give him a fresh coat of paint.  Let me tell you, I was SO excited.  So, I go to pick it up to move it somewhere I can paint it....and it's not made of ceramic.  Rather, it's what feels like solid concrete.  It probably weighed 70 pounds.  Anyway.  Here is my dad's newly refurbished yard raccoon.

Here is the finished project:

Here is what he looked like to begin with...

After I evicted all of the spiders living on him and gave him a nice clean coat of white spray paint..

Close up:

And his back side:

So, I started with white spray paint, painted the stump black with plain 'ol acrylic paint (which was a pain in the butt, there were SO many cracks and crevices), then made some cardboard stencils for the flowers and traced them on and painted them with more acrylic paint.  Then I coated the entire thing in about a gazillion coats of triple thick spray on clear coat.  (It is Florida after all, and I wouldn't want him to get ruined by the rain).  So, there's my story, sorry it's so long.  Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 05:47:23 PM by iratokid » THIS ROCKS   Logged
karabananas
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008 05:51:58 PM »

haha that's great.

one man's trash is another man's treasure  Wink

awesome job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You are my sweetest downfall. I loved you first, I loved you first. Beneath the sheets of paper lies my truth.
Brynns Mom
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 07:13:41 PM »

I think you did an AWESOME job!  He looks great and it will give your Dad a smile every time he looks at it.  Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oh my goodbye
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008 07:43:54 PM »

i literally laughed out loud at this! it's so hilarious and (i feel) so floridian! actually, i would want this for myself... and i live in the mountains of north carolina! very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lunique
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008 11:44:30 PM »

I love it!! Love all the happy colors, and he has pretty eyes now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hookster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008 08:12:40 AM »

What a cute raccoon! I'm not into yard animal statue/things, but this is awesome. I'd definitely put that little guy in my garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faboogrl
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008 10:03:49 AM »

I love the colors you chose for the raccoon! This would make a great display piece! Great job on the eyes as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Ikki
How to Draw Hiroshi
How to Draw Hinata Hyuga
Behind The Scenes: IDW Comic-Con Exclusives
How to Draw Frankenstein Doctor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...