A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 303,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun with Goodwill Sweaters  (Read 5107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 09, 2008 04:46:31 PM »

It's been a long time since I made anything. The sewing machine has actually been under the table for awhile, but I got it back out today and had a pretty good afternoon. 

Here's what I did and how I did it-I really know nothing about what I'm doing, so feel free to set me straight.

I got started making legwarmers, since girlie is refusing to wear pants, and legwarmers are $5 at Target. For less than that, I can get a nice wool sweater at Goodwill and cut it up and have lots of fun. I like to try and find sweaters that people have already washed accidentally, because then I don't feel so bad cutting it up.

Here are the 3 sweaters I started with. The dark one and the pink one were "pre-felted" wool, and the Tommy Hilfiger was all stretched out. It was pretty, but cotton, so I wasn't sure how it would work.

To make leg warmers out of a wool sweater, all you have to do is felt it, and then cut the sleeves off at the arm, straight across. It makes a kind of cropped sleeve sweater when you're done.

I use pinking shears, but I don't think it matters. Usually that's all you need to do. Then pull them on the little legs and you're done.

For the cotton sweater, I had to make the tube a little narrower, so that it would stay up. Just turn it inside out and sew a line along side the seam, then turn it back right side out and try it on. Repeat until it fits, and then cut off your excess.

Then I had the bodies of the sweaters to work with, so I made this little bag first. I think it's fun that you can reach through the neck to grab something small, or lift the flap for big things.

Out of the cotton sweater, after much fiddling, I made this little dress for her. I'm pretty happy with it.  The arm holes were really tough.  I eventually made a sort of binding out of an old t-shirt. 

Thanks for looking!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008 04:54:53 PM »

Very cute!  How did you finish the cut-off top edges so they won't unravel?
Quinndustrious P.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 05:08:01 PM »

woah! who knew you could do so much with 3 sweaters?
great job!

Check out my pinterest boards! http://pinterest.com/quinnp/
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008 05:10:10 PM »

wow! you did good. i'm impressed.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008 05:16:27 PM »

great job I love love the dress!!! I'd love to know how you made it? Was it hard to sew the sweater material? I just got into knits like a week ago so they still scare me!

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.

Happiness will always be a napping skunk...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 05:49:59 PM »

Oh wow, where to start?!  Love the legwarmers, perfect size on her too! 

The dress is adorable....  But I just love the bag!!  Took me a few to figure out what you meant about the flap....ahh but now I see!  How clever, I am still smiling, I think I NEED to make one too!!

Thanks for sharing, you've been quite inspirational!

R.I.P. my sweet little stinker....
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 06:04:18 PM »

The stripes are soo much fun! She looks so cute in them!

May our efforts reflect our values.
May the variety in life bring us joy.
May we seek to inspire not compete.
May we have happy hearts.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008 07:50:04 PM »

JerseyGal:  The wool sweaters get felted in the washing machine, so they don't unravel.  I'm not sure what's going to happen with the cotton ones, I didn't do anything else to the top b/c when I sew them they stretch all out. 

UUMom2Many:  The dress...I laid one of her jumpers on top of the sweater body, and then cut out armholes using the other dress as a guide, and cut a very slight angle along the sides to the bottom of the dress. Then I stitched up the sides.  The armholes were really tough to figure out, eventually I used a bit of t-shirt to make a binding around the edges, which made the arm holes way too big.  Then I put it on her and pinched it shut where it looked OK, and then stitched another angle there.  VERY unscientific.  I'll bet these instructions make NO sense.  Sorry.  Sad
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008 10:20:09 PM »

Great job on all of the projects! I love how you were able to use almost all of the fabric left from the sweaters.  I went into the Goodwill here, and I thought they were kind of expensive, they want $7-9 for shirts, jeans, sweaters and skirts.  I can buy fabric for that amount.  For my recons I use my old clothes, and my mom's old clothes as she spends a ton on clothes all the time.

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008 11:32:31 PM »

Lovely  Grin Grin

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings

She who sews...... ...wins
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
J.A. Jance Explains Her Writing Routine
Standing Still in Central Park
Love Anthony By Lisa Genova
The Death Sculptor by Chris Carter
Under the Dome by Stephen King
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...