A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting at work  (Read 1579 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Voolenvine
Voolenvine

Creature of Habknit.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008 05:30:24 AM »

Cinderelly -- that reminds me of my HS Science teacher. He used to knit between classes and some of the students were really curious about it and wanted to learn... finally he came up with the idea for a after-school knitting club! It was pretty awesome  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pointy Sticks, Twine, Wine, & Everything Fine!

http://www.Voolenvine.com
http://twitter.com/Voolenvine
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008 10:11:31 AM »

That's awesome Voolenvine!!

My co-workers usually express a little bit of admiration that I can take a string and use only sticks to turn it into something so fantastic.  I made a hat for one of them, and now all the rest of them want one!

I can remember my social teacher in grade twelve getting really upset with me for knitting one day.  We were in the library doing research and I had an encyclopedia open, and I was just casually reading from it, but I was knitting while I was reading and he wouldn't believe me that I could knit without looking!  We never got along very well anyways.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Voolenvine
Voolenvine

Creature of Habknit.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008 01:40:39 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that maybe people who get mad at us knitters for knitting on the job are secretly jealous and wish they knew how to knit too!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pointy Sticks, Twine, Wine, & Everything Fine!

http://www.Voolenvine.com
http://twitter.com/Voolenvine
socksnut
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008 01:47:24 PM »

I wish someone would make a new job category just for us knitters. Also pay us to do it. Wouldn't that would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008 08:02:30 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that maybe people who get mad at us knitters for knitting on the job are secretly jealous and wish they knew how to knit too!  Wink

I'm going to have to agree!!  It couldn't be anything else...  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008 01:45:42 PM »

As a career student (I'm now in my 4th yr of grad school), I have had nothing but on campus desk jobs. I always wished I could bring my knitting to work. I was always allowed to surf the net or do homework at will, and so much of the day is just that. As a busy student, when you run out of "portable homework" it's annoying to feel like you're just wasting time surfing the net-the worst is when you actually run out of things to google......yeah, it can happen, trust me. BUUUUT.......I think I understand why they would say no--not that I agree with it. I was always allowed to read, surf the net, etc, but not play games on the computer. I think they equate knitting with gaming in a sense of you getting paid for your own downtime enjoyment. At least if you're reading its education-related but if you're doing something "fun" it might look like goofing off. Again, I DO NOT agree. I would have been much more zen in life if I could craft at work, but I never got the nerve up to try. I was afraid that if I looked like I was having too much fun or there's not enough to do then I'd end up convincing them that I'm not needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luvdisny

It's a dog's life ...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008 07:17:32 AM »

I work 2p - 10p at a not so busy toll road.  (We are an alernative route and not the only way to go as oppposed to a bridge.)  I usually knit in the booth after the dinner rush.  I know how slow we are by how much knitting I get done.  I used to just crochet squares for Warm up America during work hours.  Easy project that I could put down in a hurry, but now I am up to hats and more challenging scarfs and such.  I've even worked on baby sweaters while on the job.

Infact, I just got 2 commmisions to make some hats and scarfs for some co-workers, which will probably get done on the job also. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When life kicks you, let it kick you forward.   Kay Yow, NC State Women's Basketball Coach on her battle w/ Breast Cancer
FloofyNinja
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008 06:44:26 PM »

I have it worked out so I only work the busy days at work Grin But since I'm a busboy, I prolly wouldn't be allowed to knit either way. MAYBE if I was a hostess but i'd have to keep it under the podium.

I knit at school all the time, though. I pay better attention when my hands are busy, and my teacher doesn't mind if I pay attention and do my written work, first. I get so much knitting work done at school, too. I never have the same amount of motivation at home as I do at school. I knit so much my back started to hurt. :>

I'm trying to get a slow job for weekdays, something easy for me to do for extra hourly money, so I'm definitly going to see if I can bring my knitting with me :>

Do you all knit with the knitting right out? I knit with most of the project and my yarn in a bag so it doesn't get away from me, and so I can put it away quickly if I need to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancechica
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008 09:47:05 PM »

I have it out, but my yarn is in a bag and I always stash it as soon as someone comes in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kllama713
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008 10:00:53 PM »

I knit at school all the time, though. I pay better attention when my hands are busy, and my teacher doesn't mind if I pay attention and do my written work, first. I get so much knitting work done at school, too. I never have the same amount of motivation at home as I do at school. I knit so much my back started to hurt. :>

Exactly, my teachers prefer my being actually awake and busy knitting in class, than sleeping on my homework (which I find is a constant temptation).
I get odd looks from my classmates, but when I finish a project they all want to hold it and look, lol they're like children!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sunset Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Sports Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Product Photography
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...