A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,585
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiny bathroom in desperate need of help, pic included  (Read 1108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Claris Hiver
« on: October 09, 2008 07:23:43 AM »

I'm renting a place that has a bathroom not much bigger than a closet. I have a 5 tier corner shelf and found an étagère to put over the toilet for more places to put stuff, but it's still pretty cramped. Not really room to put anything like a laundry hamper. There's hardly room for the trashcan and nowhere to put the roll of TP.
Here are some older photos of the room, before putting in the étagère, but the problem of space remains the same.

Any suggestions on how to help it out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008 08:39:04 AM »

Our main bathroom is about that size too and we've made it work for us -- a family of 6. It is very cramped, I know what you mean! We have jars on the counter that hold things like combs and brushes and I have a stacking-container tupperware thing that holds stuff like q-tips, cottonballs, kids earrings, and other odds and ends.  In the shower stall we have a shampoo/soap/conditioner dispenser that hangs on the wall (I realize we own our place and you are renting but you could ask the landlord if you could install something like that b/c it is such a space saver). Also you can get all sorts of over-the-door things too that are very helpful.  How about shelves on the walls? Or even those containers that "suction cup" to the mirror can hold alot too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 08:47:36 AM »

Hmm... seems like you're having the same problem I am.  I think we may also need a similar solution....  How about something really fascinating as your shower curtain.  It's the first thing you see when you'd walk in, so it will dominate the feel of the room, and it can be a large space to express yourself individually.  Then adding a few accessories in a similar style.  I noticed in some of your other posts you were looking to do a goth bedroom.  You could do a plain red shower curtain, picked up at Target for about $15, then layer over dark lace, maybe gathered up in swags like an old fashioned theatre curtain.  Find an old intricately framed mirror, and paint it, or if you already have a plain mirror, you could find some sort of old baroque-esque frame at a thrift shop, and repaint/antique it further.  Maybe a silver candlestick on the sink, and a set of apothecary style jars to hold your toothbrush/paste, combs, q-tips, etc.  

Then again you might hate the idea of a goth bathroom...  What kind of a feel do you want in there?  

I'm meanwhile having the same problem with my miniscule bathroom.  It's a bit longer, but narrower than yours.  The lineolium isn't too bad, but the sink and cabinet beneath it is about half the width of yours, and that fake oak color of the late 80-s/early 90's.  The walls are painted white, but painted over years of other paint, and weird wall finishes, including fake tile.  

Dirt has settled into the corners, making it feel dingy although I keep it very clean.  Plus the only shower curtain I have is deep red, while the towels are a warm medium tan, and the floor is cream tiles, with a small center motif of sage, deeper teal-sage, light beige, and the same medium brown as my towels.  And there's a window placed at the end of the room, partially into the shower, so the blinds hang into it too.  There's not enough space to store a package of TP, but I have squeezed in a trash can.  

And since it was clearly done in the late 80's, they hung those horrible wooden soap dish and toothbrush holders beside the sink, the kind that match those wooden towel racks (which they also put in, directly over the toilet, in a space that should definitly either have storage, or a framed picture there).  I'm not placing my toothbrush in that dirty holder for anything!  I ended up putting my soap dispenser on the toothbrush "platform", and I hang a hand towel over the soap dish "platform", so that I have room for a cup for toothbrushes and a canister for q-tips on the sink.    

My landlord said they MAY let me paint, partially.  (The shower walls are that weird pebbled plastic that reach up to the ceiling.)  I'm thinking that what I really need to do is to make some sort of interesting semi-dominat shower curtain, since it would take up such a huge space, as almost an art piece.  I'm a quilter, amongst other things, and I like doing celtic knotwork quilts, so I was thinking of going and picking up some sage green poly and making myself a long shower curtain, appliqued with a large knot motif.  Then doing a second smaller valance for the window in the same motif.  I was going to go over to Home Depot or Lowes and see if I could get that peel and stick faux stained glass to cover the window, instead of letting the blinds hang into my shower.  I just have to find a kind that's removeable again...  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
gebah

this is a test....lol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008 09:43:43 AM »

what style & colors are you thinking of?....my first suggestion is sewing pockets on a shower curtain for "storage"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 06:35:58 AM by gebah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AbbyRose
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008 09:49:01 AM »

Can you put a toilet paper dispenser on the side of the cabinet?

Also, my mother had a space-saving solution in her bathroom. She got one of those three tier hanging wire baskets and hung it up between the toilet and the cabinet. She puts towels, toilet paper rolls, soaps and such in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
Duika

Si os dan papel pautado, escribid por el otro lado

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 09:56:46 AM »

You can try this laundry hamper http://www.decoesfera.com/2008/08/25-una-bolsa-para-la-ropa-sucia-y-una-corona-expositora-dos-ideas-mas-para-decorar-con-bastidores. It isn´t bulky and is cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eapa
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 02:47:54 PM »

Looks like the bathroom in my studio apartment is just about the same size as yours. Here's how I have it organized:

The apartment came with a "toilet paper stand" thingy, which fits between the bathtub and the toilet.  Something like this (http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/code/300177.do?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-BathroomFixturesandAccessories-_-2008-_-300177&code-macs=MP8WFGL&code=MP8WFGL), but prettier. It's great, because then I don't have to worry about accidentally knocking my tp off the sink or other surface into the toilet, because I'm a klutz.

I try to make the best use of the space under my sink.  I just organized it to make it easier to find everything.  I keep extra TP (and I buy them in the 12-24 pack size), my hair dryer, curling iron, extra soap/shampoo/body wash, and plumbing snake down there.

Can't tell if you have a medicine cabinet or not above the sink.  If you do, I cram it (neatly is best, I've found) full of my makeup, body sprays, extra toothpaste and toothbrushes, and medicines.  If you don't have one, ask the landlord if one can be installed.  Great storage space.

In-use toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and washcloths I keep on the sink counter.  I have a little cup-stand thingy for the toothbrushes (one I keep around for my friend when he stays over), and the soap is in a liquid soap dispenser.  My washcloths I keep neatly folded to the sides, one for my face, one for guests to use to dry their hands.

I don't keep linens in the bathroom, except for my towel-in-use on the one towel bar (ask to get one installed if you don't have one ... though I guess you can hang it on the shower curtain to dry if necessary) and two bathrobes on the back of the door.  Space in my apartment is limited, but I still make room in my closet for my backup towels so I don't have to keep them in the bathroom.

All this use of hidden storage means I don't have to add extra shelving.  I would think that would add to the feeling of crampedness in the bathroom, since it takes away your open spaces.  I would try to keep unnecessary items out of the bathroom, if you can keep them in your closet.  Or even, if you're in a larger apartment with a hallway, having things like extra towels, hamper, etc., in some shelving or a standing cabinet right outside the bathroom door.  Much better than taking up your space inside the closet bathroom.

For decoration, I have some small framed pictures around the sink.  As has been suggested above, a shower curtain is a great space to express yourself -- I currently have a NYC Subway map curtain that I got on my last trip back east.  The floor is pretty much covered by a bath mat I got at Bed Bath & Beyond a while back.  It's pretty colored and makes the room seem less sterile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snake boobs get in the way of slithering.

I blog about my life adventures, and sometimes even the things I make: http://snakeboobs.blogspot.com/
Claris Hiver
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008 06:13:31 AM »

Our main bathroom is about that size too and we've made it work for us -- a family of 6. It is very cramped, I know what you mean! We have jars on the counter that hold things like combs and brushes and I have a stacking-container tupperware thing that holds stuff like q-tips, cottonballs, kids earrings, and other odds and ends.  In the shower stall we have a shampoo/soap/conditioner dispenser that hangs on the wall (I realize we own our place and you are renting but you could ask the landlord if you could install something like that b/c it is such a space saver). Also you can get all sorts of over-the-door things too that are very helpful.  How about shelves on the walls? Or even those containers that "suction cup" to the mirror can hold alot too!
A family of 6? Wow! With just two in my apartment the bathroom feels crowded in the morning when we're trying to brush our teeth. I found a pump of pretty glass pumps (4 of them) and they are now holding the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion on the corner shelf, 1 on the sink for hand soap, which may change to body wash if I end up getting a coordinated set of stuff. The best thing I ever found for makeup storage was a theatrical makeup case from a thrift shop, keeps everything right together, awesome find.

Can't tell if you have a medicine cabinet or not above the sink.  If you do, I cram it (neatly is best, I've found) full of my makeup, body sprays, extra toothpaste and toothbrushes, and medicines.  If you don't have one, ask the landlord if one can be installed.  Great storage space.

In-use toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and washcloths I keep on the sink counter.  I have a little cup-stand thingy for the toothbrushes (one I keep around for my friend when he stays over), and the soap is in a liquid soap dispenser.  My washcloths I keep neatly folded to the sides, one for my face, one for guests to use to dry their hands.

I don't keep linens in the bathroom, except for my towel-in-use on the one towel bar (ask to get one installed if you don't have one ... though I guess you can hang it on the shower curtain to dry if necessary) and two bathrobes on the back of the door.  Space in my apartment is limited, but I still make room in my closet for my backup towels so I don't have to keep them in the bathroom.

All this use of hidden storage means I don't have to add extra shelving.  I would think that would add to the feeling of crampedness in the bathroom, since it takes away your open spaces.  I would try to keep unnecessary items out of the bathroom, if you can keep them in your closet.  Or even, if you're in a larger apartment with a hallway, having things like extra towels, hamper, etc., in some shelving or a standing cabinet right outside the bathroom door.  Much better than taking up your space inside the closet bathroom.

Sadly we have a plain mirror above the sink and not a medicine cabinet. I could definately stand to better organize the cabinet below the sink. There isn't really anywhere else for us to store the linens at the moment, so those are staying on the étagère.

I noticed in some of your other posts you were looking to do a goth bedroom.  You could do a plain red shower curtain, picked up at Target for about $15, then layer over dark lace, maybe gathered up in swags like an old fashioned theatre curtain.  Find an old intricately framed mirror, and paint it, or if you already have a plain mirror, you could find some sort of old baroque-esque frame at a thrift shop, and repaint/antique it further.  Maybe a silver candlestick on the sink, and a set of apothecary style jars to hold your toothbrush/paste, combs, q-tips, etc.  

Then again you might hate the idea of a goth bathroom...  What kind of a feel do you want in there?  

That would be fabulous, but I doubt I could get my boyfriend to agree to it. We've found a few fancy sets at a store that we both liked, one was this gold and turquoise fleur de lis print which we agreed was very nice but way out of our price range and possibly overwhelming for such a small space, the other really cool one was this lime green and chocolate brown geometric print, very mod look to it. As much as I like the really fancy one, he may be right about it being too much for such a small space. So I guess I'm probably going with the brown and green modern style.

That looks pretty easy, an embroidery hoop holding open a laundry bag. Come to think of it, we've got a brown one that would probably work pretty well if I'm going with the modern theme. There isn't a hook on the door, but I could ask about putting one on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008 06:47:56 PM »

I can't help you with the laundry hamper thing.........but I have an idea for a serviceable shower curtain............ Grin

You could pick a solid color inexpensive shower curtain you like.........the material "outer" type..........(keep a liner for the inside)........I would recommend a bright color.......but that's jus' me......... Roll Eyes

Sew pockets on it........... Wink ..........you could either purchase some coordinating material........or use what's handy the next time you clean out your closet............harvest the pockets off of old clothes..........an' presto..........instant "storage" that you can choose the sizes of..........small pockets for small items...........larger ones out of color coordinated material for larger items..........with both panels on each side...........you'd have tons of room...........you could even make you a rag rug for in front of the tub and sink............. Wink  (Can ya tell I'm a quilter?  LOL!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Word of the Day
Everyday Glam: Makeup Basics
Everyday Glam: Get a Sunkissed Look
Vitamins to Add to Your Beauty Routine
Everyday Glam: Get a Sunkissed Look
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...