A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempt at modge podged pendant things (Non blurry photos!)  (Read 1865 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RENTHead_351
« on: October 11, 2008 05:12:07 PM »

So, while I was out today among other crafty things I picked up some modge podge to try making pendants with pictures on it. Modge podge is offically my favoritest thing of the week! It dries so fast and works sooo well! I'm impressed. Anyway, on to my pictures!

Front, a howling (were)wolf...

Back

I've recently been introduced to the musical "Notre Dame De Paris". I love it, to put it mildly. So, there's the church.

The back is the title of a song. It means 'It's the time of Cathedrals (Can't spell it in english Tongue) With the window from the church.

Front...

Back.

Front (It's Hansel and Gretel, hehe)

Back

Anyway these pictures are sooo much better. I thank tigerita for teaching me a bit about my camera Smiley
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008 06:52:50 AM by RENTHead_351 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerita
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008 10:33:01 PM »

I especially like the wolf howling at the moon one!

Little things like that can be hard to photograph.  A few things you can try are 1) either using the "macro" mode (the icon looks like a tulip) or standing further back and zooming in.  The slight blurriness is because you're closer to the pendant than your camera's minimum focusing distance.  and 2) if your camera allows you to adjust the white balance, set it to tungsten for indoor shots like this -- that should get rid of the yellowish tint.

Great job on the pendants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RENTHead_351
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008 03:48:11 AM »

Hehe, the wolf one is my favorite too. I'm wearing it right now, as a matter of fact  Smiley
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help. I'll have to try that out later.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008 04:00:06 AM by RENTHead_351 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thatsneat
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008 11:46:34 AM »

Wow, Great idea! So you just modpodged the images onto the polymer? Did you bake the polymer first? Do you seal over the modpodge with something else once it's dried? Good work! I'm also luvin the first pendant! Very neat!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008 11:47:38 AM by thatsneat - Reason: bad spelin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
RENTHead_351
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008 01:00:54 PM »

Yup, what I did was cut out the image I wanted to use and cut out the shape I wanted the pendant to be in clay. Then I baked the clay and modge podged the picture on, if that makes sense Tongue I think the pictures would burn in the oven... That's always a fun game to play, 'Will this burn if I put it in the oven???' Tongue
And no, there's nothing else over the modge podge. I guess you could put a glaze or something over it, but modge podge works as a sealer glaze thing by itself.
Thanks for the comment! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wvclaylady
I love Art Dolls!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008 09:52:03 PM »

Those are all so neat!  It hadn't occurred to me to do something like that.  Mod Podge reminds me of the decoupage my mom used to do when I was little!  I haven't used it on clay, because I wasn't sure if it would dry properly.  You know, some things stay sticky.

I have been wanting to try something similar, but by transferring the images on raw clay.  I plan on following a tutorial I found on PCC.  It's called Dotty's Picture Perfect Color Photo Transfers.  http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/pcc/featured/mcmillanlesson.html

It uses t-shirt iron on paper, which is a little expensive, so I'm still trying to figure out how to make the best use of each sheet, before I jump into a project.  I would think you'd almost have to fill the sheet with images when you go to print, or you'd be wasting a lot of paper.  Hmmmmm.... Huh

Sorry for blabbering.... I don't get out much.  LOL

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Shannon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most important things in life aren't things.
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008 11:17:44 AM »

Mod Podge reminds me of the decoupage my mom used to do when I was little!  I haven't used it on clay, because I wasn't sure if it would dry properly.  You know, some things stay sticky.

wvclaylady, the only things that have to be watched out for (which react with the clay) are petroleum-solvent based finishes/paints/etc. (those that clean up with paint thinner) and any spray finishes that may contain those solvents only in their propellants).  
Water-based ones (or alcohol-based ones) are fine, and white glues (decoupage mediums like ModPodge, etc.) are definitely water-based.

It uses t-shirt iron on paper, which is a little expensive, so I'm still trying to figure out how to make the best use of each sheet, before I jump into a project.  I would think you'd almost have to fill the sheet with images when you go to print, or you'd be wasting a lot of paper.  Hmmmmm.... Huh

You can find some tips on using transfer papers wisely in various ways on the Transfers page at my site, if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
(...click on the Summary category at the top of the list, then scroll way down to the section under it called Don't Waste Paper or Ink)
...and Dotty's lesson is covered under the Transfer Papers section, if you're interested

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008 11:20:10 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
GeekToys
Crafty Geek

I like to make stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008 11:24:38 AM »

I'm loving the Phantom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RENTHead_351
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008 12:20:59 PM »

Thanks much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress for the Office During the Summer
5 Best Pea Coats for Winter
How to Know What to Wear Underneath Your Graduation Gown
Dress For the Success You Deserve
Celebrity Stylist Brad Goreski Shares His Holiday Fashion Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...