A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leafy Leaf Plant Planter  (Read 2359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilsarah
« on: October 08, 2008 09:49:13 PM »

This started off as a small project. I just wanted to decorate a terra cotta pot a little bit and give away one of a few of these spider plants I seem to have blooming everywhere...

But...well...my life isn't ever that simple now is it.

Armed with my shoebox of polymer clay, a weekend at home without the inlaws, a few leaf tutorials in my brain (I can dig them up if anyone would like) (here's the one I followed the most, but I looked at a bunch a while ago and then just did it, so my technique was probably a mishmash of everything...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86w8CRBQUdA) and a really big razor blade that would later cut me a good one, I get to work making some leaf canes.

Apparently I didn't upload any of my progress shot...so right onto the action shots, aye?

In that last one the glaze was still gooping up the crevises a little bit...but it's gone now.

It took two canes made like the one shown above. That cane was probably the size of the palm of my hand wide...and maybe an inch or two long when I started. Next time I will make a little more, as I almost ran out at the end and had to really place my leaves carefully. In the very near future I want to make one with fall color leaves, and possibly one that looks a little more like feathers.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 10:47:51 PM by evilsarah - Reason: added tute video » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rynimari
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 10:06:47 PM »

awesome!

much more patience than I could ever have!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY: http://lolomari.etsy.com/
BLOG: http://lolomari.wordpress.com/
WIST: http://wists.com/lolomari/
Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody. Not no how.
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 10:21:44 PM »

I really like it!  Makes me want to bust out the poly-clay again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
GeekToys
Crafty Geek

I like to make stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 10:30:36 PM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! what an awesome idea! You did a wonderful job on it and it is beautiful! I'm sorry about your injury. I had one myself last week.

EXTREME CRAFTING!!!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsarah
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 10:40:22 PM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! what an awesome idea! You did a wonderful job on it and it is beautiful! I'm sorry about your injury. I had one myself last week.

EXTREME CRAFTING!!!!!!

My boyfriend works on his computer like right next to my crafting area. I was trying to put the cover back on my clay blade, when the cover slipped and I ran my thumb down the whole thing. It didn't hurt so much as surprise me and piss me off because I knew what a pain the rest of the night would be as I didn't put a band aid on it and just crammed more clay into the cut.

Anyway, I made that like "I just cut myself" sucking in hiss noise, and ran out of the room to wash my finger because it started bleeding with a quickness.

"Sarah, did you just cut yourself with a big ass razor blade again" He shouted after me. Thats right, again, I had cut myself with an acutal razorblade a few weeks ago...thats what made me break down and buy the actual "clay blade."

"It's not really a razor blade" is all I could say. It was pretty funny.

What's crafting without a few cool scars?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

M Fox
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008 11:28:19 PM »

Me Likey, Me Likey!    Shocked Grin
I feel very intimidated by polymer clay, so I haven't tried anything yet.  Thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008 12:49:18 AM »

This is so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008 06:14:39 AM »

Great application!  I am always amazed a canes, but I never really like the projects they become.  This is wonderful, though!  Very original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nullo
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008 07:31:34 AM »

Leafy Pot = Really Cool. I want to peel it like an artichoke.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PorgeCreations
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008 08:33:49 AM »

Oooo i love the pot thing at the bottom! I absolutely love the effect of canes, but i can never get them to look right Sad I'll keep on trying though!
Great work!

x~PORGE~x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Only people who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible***

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PORGEcreations <3

http://porgecreations.deviantart.com/ <<< Open for commissions <3
evilsarah
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008 09:30:22 AM »

Oooo i love the pot thing at the bottom! I absolutely love the effect of canes, but i can never get them to look right Sad I'll keep on trying though!
Great work!

x~PORGE~x

I had the same thing when I started. Two tips:

1) The freezer is your friend. I would shape the leaf cane kind of how I wanted it, then freeze it for a while. Like at least 15 minutes probaby. I was working on a few projects at once so I was rotating the freezer time. This keeps the canes the shape you want them and makes the cuts a billion times cleaner.

Oh I lied...3 tips

2) Use a sharp thin blade...the kind that cuts through thumbs twice, like the clay blades sold by the clay or for the longest time I was using a razorblade I baked a clay like handle onto.

3) TAKE YOUR TIME. You have no idea how hard this is for me, but I'm learning that if you have just a little patients stuff looks a lot better...especially canes.

I think also the bigger you work the easier it gets as far as detail goes.

On this one I used both fimo and sculpey (yellow fimo, sculpey everything else) and I would most likely not recommend it unless you realize things will be wonky. My skinner blend was always lop-sided because the green would squish out so much more than the  yellow (fimo is much harder than sculpey...a good and bad thing huh?)

So, maybe that's tip #4 Fimo make more defined canes I think because it stays in place better...but is harder for the beginner to use because it's a pain in the butt to get workable. I think I'm slowly switching over to it as my colors run out just for that fact.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekToys
Crafty Geek

I like to make stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008 10:12:42 AM »

Awesome tips!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

RamenSupernova
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008 04:56:37 PM »

It would be kind of a pain because you'd have to make a couple different canes rather than one or two big fat ones, but a for an autumn one would be really awesome if the colors of the leaves gradually changed colors from, say, red to orange-y to yellowy-gold as they went up the clay pot.

Also, how did you attach the leaves to the pot? Did they just stick or did you use polymer glue before baking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilsarah
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008 09:30:24 PM »

It would be kind of a pain because you'd have to make a couple different canes rather than one or two big fat ones, but a for an autumn one would be really awesome if the colors of the leaves gradually changed colors from, say, red to orange-y to yellowy-gold as they went up the clay pot.

Also, how did you attach the leaves to the pot? Did they just stick or did you use polymer glue before baking?

This one was two canes, because I didn't realize how much clay I would need. It really should have been probably a little more...

The two or three canes for the Autumn one would actually maybe come in handy kind of because of the freezer rotation I like to have.

I attached the clay from top to bottom. The first row, I started with the leaves (every other one) that curved over the top of the pot lip. Also I kind of squished them in good because they would kind of stick on there own, but they needed a little help of hangin over the edge. Then I stuck the second layer of the top row on (the ones poking up) more so to the first clay than the pot. Again, it kind of stuck to the pot if I squished it in, but I had to be careful. From then on I mostly stuck clay to clay, with occasional squishing into the pot.

Hope that makes sense
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabidesigns
Karina

I Love the Magic World of Polymer Clay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008 04:57:48 AM »

Grin Great Work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008 11:25:56 AM »

Very nice!  Took a lot of work though, I know, but worth it  Grin

RamenSupernova, to attach raw polymer clay to a porous surface like terra cotta (or cardboard, bare wood, etc.), it can help a lot too to paint on a coat of permanent white glue first (or acrylic finish or acrylic paint like I think EvilSarah did).  Let it tack up a little or dry.  That gives tooth for the clay to hold onto while raw, but the glue will also moderate any expansion that might happen between the clay and whatever it's covering.  Liquid clay can also be used though it won't be tacky, particularly if the clay won't have a good mechanical hold on the vase, to act as an adhesive.  Or baked bits of clay can be added to terracotta with a 2-part epoxy glue, E-6000, or liquid clay if rebaked.
There's more info on "covering" terracotta on this page of my site, if you're interested, and things to do if the pot will actually be used to keep the clay from having problems if not painted inside first:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm
(...click on TerraCotta, etc.)

Diane B.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008 11:31:13 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
evilsarah
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008 11:33:45 AM »

Very nice!  Took a lot of work though, I know, but worth it  Grin

it can help a lot too to paint on a coat of permanent white glue first (or acrylic finish or acrylic paint like I think EvilSarah did). 

Diane B.

nope, I just pushed it on kinda hard so it grabbed whatever "tooth" was already there. Like I said, I did that first for the first row every other leaf and used the grip around the edge to hold it in place, then just added on from there onto the clay already there.

Every now and again I could tell the whole thing would kind of come off and warp to one side or the other (like a clay sock around a pot) but I would hook the top leaves over once again, and all would be good...

So...white glue sounds like a good idea for next time Smiley No more clay sock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008 11:57:18 AM »

No more clay sock. . .

Hahaha... got a great mental picture of that!  It's a good thing to do when covering pens too since usually the plastic is so smooth that it's not grippy at all; when rolled, the clay can begin to look like a too-loose condom--not good under any circumstances Cheesy).

(When I saw the green paint on the terracotta pot, I'd just assumed you'd done that first.  Be sure and show us any more you make, or maybe do some cute tiny ones for xmas ornaments or something  Grin)

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
evilsarah
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008 02:06:21 PM »

I was actually just at the craft store and saw some little baby pots and thought of that. But then I was irritated with how expensive all their pots were compaired to like home depot.

Maybe next time I will paint first...because that would kill two birds with one stone for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katy23669
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008 05:45:08 PM »

That is absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Burningrubber
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008 07:19:50 PM »

That is awsome! I love the colors you used. BTW....I realy don't think you should be trying to clog up a cut with clay. LOL. Hope your gettin better Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Different Ways to Grill & Prepare Corn
The Secret to Perfect Buffalo Wings
What Your Chicago-Style Hot Dog is Missing
Gourmet Ham-and-Cheese Grilled Cheese Recipe
How to Make Honey Chipotle Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...