A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The love child of Mr. Peabody and Hello Kitty  (Read 1570 times)
Tags for this thread: hello_kitty , diaper_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sdhrt
« on: October 08, 2008 09:47:49 PM »

Hello,
  So you know the diaper bag dilemma.. Do you make one, do you buy one, do you use the freebie from the formula company?  I had been given one, but it was massive and uncomfortable.  I did go through the process of trying to make a messenger style bag with 'Hello Kitty' fabric, but it wasn't very useful (this was before I knew about craftster).  In the end the giveaway I got in the hospital was the perfect size and not all 'babyish.'  But it was too boring, so I had to add a Mr. Peabody patch.  Mr. Peabody served me well for almost three years, but then he started to show his age, cracking vinyl etc. etc.  I thought I would just get another freebie, but they changed the bags on me! So what do you do?  You make a new one!

This is what you start with...

I love that Hello Kitty has a tan.

Then you completely rip apart both bags (except for the pockets on the hello kitty one).  Use the pieces from Mr Peabody to cut out new pieces from HK.  You totally reuse the straps, zippers, batting, pockets (but mostly because I had already used my leftover HK for other projects and couldn't cut out new pockets  Wink), and even the plastic 'piping' to give it shape. And you end up with this.

Which of course took way longer than expected.  While most of the construction was straightforward, the pockets, not so easy.  I actually ended up basically hand-sewing in the final pocket (the last part of the whole thing), which as you can imagine completely ate my fingers.  And thank goodness you can not see my topstitching. But its now done, YAY!  Alas, Mr. Peabody was left behind, but not to worry, I'm sure he will adorn something else one day.  Comments?  Tips on sewing in tight spaces with a normal machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 10:46:21 PM »

Nice work!
I think I'm going to steal your idea. My boyfriend's sister is having a baby early next year, and I decided to put together a baby care package, but I was stuck on ideas! I have an old diaper bag that I was using to hold all my knitting in, but the vinyl is so old that it's cracked to death. It's always been such a comfy size, I'm definitely going to cut it up and make a pattern from it!

And assumably, congratulations on your baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 01:16:28 AM »

I admire your transformation. Also, I made a handbag from the same Hello Kitty fabric.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008 01:21:39 AM by green r my tear$ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
becc
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008 06:17:07 AM »

so nice and very smart of you! I have an ugly vinyl diaper bag that is so useful and perfectly sized but SOOOOO unattractive...have been wanting to make one but am a huge chicken about zippers. I think you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008 11:21:22 AM »

Hey, great job!!  I have a few of those formula company bags around here that are full of crayons and kid toys. I might have to reclaim them for myself!   Smiley   Great work!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdhrt
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008 04:24:21 PM »

...have been wanting to make one but am a huge chicken about zippers.

Go for it.  The zippers aren't as scary in this sort of project because they aren't 'set-in' like you would do on a piece of clothing, so they are mostly much easier.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susanna Clark Talks About A House in Fez
Jimmy Gownley Talks About Amelia Rules
Andrew Griffiths Talks About Me Myth
Carin Rubenstein Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Philippa Gregory Talks About The Role of Magic
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...