A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First project?  (Read 482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2008 05:01:50 PM »

I've been browsing the crocheting threads for months and months and I've finally decided to teach myself how to crochet! I'm using a few books and the internet to start out with.
I was just wondering what everyone's first project was and what I should attempt. I'd really like to make a scarf for the winter, but I'm not really sure if I should follow a specific pattern or just pretty much practice my stitching and crochet up a big rectangle that I may call a scarf so I can get used to the movements and everything. Any links or tips would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
DragonessD
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 05:34:00 PM »

My first project (or so speaks my mother) was a dress for my Barbie doll. I took the book I'd talked mom into buying, snitched some yarn and one of her hooks, and holed up in my room for the weekend to make the dress.

I was seven, so I guess that's not terribly surprising. Mom and dad both worked, and well ... with three kids in the house ... there wasn't much time for making Barbie clothes.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008 09:03:56 AM »

my first crochet project was an amigurumi cupcake.   Grin  chocolate with pink frosting and I added beaded sprinkles.   Grin  I love cupcakes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume.......
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008 04:57:17 AM »

My first crocheted project was a blanket to top a queen sized bed.  It was done in simple stripes and double crochets... Mind you at the time I was in the military and was working on it during my night shifts.  It worked out great - every time I finished a row it was time for me to get up, go outside, look at the sky, go back inside and report my weather observation... I was the only one in the office on those shifts so I had A LOT of time to work on it!

I would say pick a project that says either beginner or easy and go for it no matter what it is. 
Everyone's first project will be different depending on what they are in to....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008 11:39:33 AM »

My first project was a little less extraordinary than the ones here.  I crocheted a pot holder.  A simple square that alternated colors on every other row (three shades of blue).  It looked ridiculous, but I was very proud.  It started out small (because I made my beginning chain way too small) and by the time I was finished, it looked like a funnel or something--it just kept getting bigger and bigger.  I found out later that I was just doing my double crochets into the chain three of every new row.

So my main advice is, don't worry if whatever you decide to make looks horrible or completely strange.  It will get better.  The best advice I can give you is to just keep practicing those stitches to get a consistent gauge because in later projects, this is one of the most important things to worry about.  After you feel comfortable with the stitches, then start on your first project, and keep it simple.  Don't get discouraged--after a while, your work will get better and you will refine your crocheting skills.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.com
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Measure the Temperature of a Holiday Turkey
Carving a Holiday Turkey
Learn how to Plate a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Make Tzatziki Sauce for a Romantic Dinner
Learn how to Make Lamb Chops for a Romantic Dinner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...