A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments  (Read 1727 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pmtvoice
« on: October 08, 2008 07:25:08 AM »

This recipe went around at my work last Christmas for making homemade ornaments. My boss spent a few evenings with her kids doing this and then giving them as Christmas gifts to close friends and family members. We posted the recipe on our website. http://www.printmyribbon.com/1131/articles/Salt-Dough-Ornaments.html or get it below...

Salt Dough Ornament
Ingredients:

4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cups hot water from tap
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (optional)

In a large bowl, mix together the salt and flour. While mixing, gradually add the water and continue to mix until dough becomes elastic. (If you would like to add the optional vegetable oil, do so at this point.) Add more flour if your mixture is too sticky and add more water if the dough is crumbling and not holding together. Knead the dough by hand until it is smooth and elastic.

On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about thickness. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters and place on a cookie sheet. Use a toothpick to form a hole at the top of each ornament big enough to thread a ribbon through. Bake at 200 degrees until ornaments are no longer soft and doughy. If the dough begins to darken before cooking is complete, cover the cookie sheet with aluminum foil.

To add color to ornaments, either paint them after they have baked and cooled or mix food coloring into the water before adding it to the dry ingredients. Ornaments can also be decorated with glitter glue after they have been painted. Seal ornaments on all sides with a clear varnish or polyurethane spray.

After ornaments dry, attach them to gift packages with personalized holiday ribbon. Unused dough can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for about two to three days.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008 03:00:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at http://pmtvoice.com
Design your own personalized ribbon at http://www.printmyribbon.com or custom labels at http://www.printmything.com
crochetedkitten
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008 08:49:05 PM »

My sisters and I used to do this as children and I completely forgot until I read this post.  Thank you for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life Is Short, Crochet Naked!
dancedupapillon
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008 09:16:00 PM »

We have a bunch of salt dough ornaments on our tree from when I was a kid.  What a great idea to use them as gift tags!  I'll be making some this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fluke Sashimi With a Japanese Pear Cocktail
How to Make Delicious and Healthy Spring Rolls Right at Home
Easy, Healthy Lettuce Wrap Recipe
How to Make Diane Ladd’s Southern Japanese Tofu Dish
Give Shrimp Pad Thai a Soba Noodle Twist the Haylie Duff Way
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...