A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first princess-cut dress: Simplicity 3527-pic heavy  (Read 7778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticchrys
« on: October 08, 2008 04:55:45 AM »

I grew up wearing dresses almost all the time.  I've really missed being able to find long dresses with comfy wide skirts in the store.  All that you can still buy in many stores seems to be sundresses and evening gowns.  Nothing for everyday wear or winter/fall wear.  This looked like one of the simplest princess cut dresses out there, so I gave it a whirl. 
This is the pattern:  http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=18410

One thing I would do differently is to use stretchier fabric.  I used a blend that is woven to look like linen, but that does not wrinkle. I couldn't resist it, but it does not stretch much, and so getting out of the dress is awkward(no zipper or anything to give you slack for getting out of the sleeves).

It has a nice full skirt, so you do not have to sit like a lady:

I added trim around the edge of the neckline to hide the slight unevenness of my stitching there.  I may add more to the sleeves later.

I would say that the sizing was way off on this.  According to my measurements and the chart, it said the 22 might be too tight on me... when I normally wear a 14 off the rack.  So I cut out 22, and had to take it up a great deal.  It's still a bit too large in the sides and I have to keep the sash tied quite tightly at all times.  I really think the 16-18 would have been more spot-on.  What is with these pattern makers and their sizing charts?  I find this very frustrating as someone relatively new to sewing from a purchased pattern.
Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 04:56:14 AM by celticchrys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008 05:15:56 AM »

Looks cute and comfy, I hate trying to adjust my patterns to store sizing. Next time use a tape measure to take your bust measurement. If it isnt a fitted dress thats all you need to know when finding a size to fit. I fit between two sizes so I always up one size but if its a dress I add to the smaller size when cutting out.

Great Job!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellenmarie
I should save that, I might need it soon!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 05:18:58 AM »

You did a great job! I love the color! It looks wonderfully comfortable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cookiepockets
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 05:27:03 AM »

I've had that problem before too, I finally learned by trial and error.  Usually and 18 will fit me when I cut out the patterns as I normally wear a 14.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amarok
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 06:26:17 AM »

hey that looks great on you! you did well. Smiley and you're lucky enough to be one of those people on whom empire-waist fits... i'm not, and that bugs me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008 07:02:35 AM »

I like this very much!  Have you considered adding a zipper so it's easier to get in and out of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008 09:29:34 AM »

What is with these pattern makers and their sizing charts?  I find this very frustrating as someone relatively new to sewing from a purchased pattern.

Pretty! And congratulations on a really clever job.

There's NO relationship between sewing sizes and RTW. Yes, it's frustrating... But consider that it's easier to take in a big size than it is to let out a small one.

Also, anyone with curves has to mess with the fit of patterns. Look for the ones with different cup sizes -- they're less fiddly.

And now you have experience with one (very pretty) dress pattern -- make it again in different fabrics, using what you've learned from the first one. You can change the neckline, sleeves, etc.

Also, patterns without zippers are usually drafted very big.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
celticchrys
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008 12:30:30 PM »

Cealy:  thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
celticchrys
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008 12:31:37 PM »

I like this very much!  Have you considered adding a zipper so it's easier to get in and out of?

I've been pondering this, but slightly intimidated by it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
celticchrys
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008 12:34:24 PM »

Also, anyone with curves has to mess with the fit of patterns. Look for the ones with different cup sizes -- they're less fiddly.

And now you have experience with one (very pretty) dress pattern -- make it again in different fabrics, using what you've learned from the first one. You can change the neckline, sleeves, etc.

Also, patterns without zippers are usually drafted very big.

I'm definitely doomed to deal with the curves.  I thought I'd go mad at first, fitting sleeves into curved armholes, and dealing with all the other curved seams, but it was educational, and the curved patterns fit the curved body better. 

Ah, good to know about the zippers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate with Ornaments
How to Personalize Napkins for the Holidays
How to Build a Holiday Centerpiece
What Happened To Handmade?
DIY Gift Idea: How to Make Holiday Snack Packs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...