A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Guinness Recipes  (Read 1644 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , soup , stew , ice_cream , beer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2008 06:42:20 PM »

I love to cook with beer and wine, and as my husband is a big fan of Guinness, I find myself adding it to recipes regularly.  I started to wonder what other Guinness based favorites were out there.  This is a favorite autumn/winter recipe that my husband and friends love.  People have even been known to ask for it in the middle of summer, but I think it's best on a cold, wet, grey day. 

It's easy to scale up for a party, or down for a few people, and can easily be made in your crock-pot instead of being put on the stove all day.  This version is enough to feed about 10 people.

Guinness Stew

4-6 bottles Guinness
2-3 lbs. stewing beef
3/4 cup flour
1 large onion, rough chopped.
Cooking oil, olive or vegetable
2-4 cups beef stock
1 small bag of baby carrots
6-8 ribs celery, chopped
4 cans of whole new Potatoes or 2 large potatoes, chopped
fresh chopped thyme and parsley
1-2 tsp minced garlic
Salt and fresh cracked pepper
2 jars of beef gravy or 1 cup instant mash potatoes

Put flour, salt and pepper in a plastic zip bag.  Add the beef cubes a few at a time, and toss to coat.  Transfer the meet to a preheated skillet with a few tablespoons of oil in it set on medium-medium-high heat.  Brown the beef, turning so that all the sides get a nice crust on them.  Move the cooked beef to a large stew pot (or crock-pot), adding the Guinness and beef stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.  Let the beef simmer about 4 hours.  Add the carrots, celery, and onion.  Do not add the potatoes yet! 

Continue stewing, and stirring 2-4 more hours, until beef begins to flake apart and alcohol is evaporated.  (This will take about 8-10 hours on the low setting of your crock-pot.)   Meanwhile, about 2 hours before you wish to serve dinner, place the potatoes in a shallow baking dish sprinkled with olive oil, salt, and cracked pepper.  Roast the potatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until cooked through and they start to get a delicious golden crust on them.  Add roasted potatoes to the stew about 20 minutes before you want to serve it.  If you want the stew to be thicker, add the beef gravy or instant potatoes at the same time, and stir to combine.

Serve with fresh crusty bread or hot rolls, and lots of cold Guinness.

...So, any other great Guinness recipes out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

I will be out of town at a family funeral 7/13-7/16 and may not answer PMs.
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008 06:51:50 PM »

That sounds YUMMY!  I'm printing this one out to try this fall/winter.  Thanks for sharing Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
Kaissa
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008 08:47:49 PM »

mmm that sounds good! I have a recipe for Guinness cheesecake somewhere - I will dig it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinsNneedles
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 02:57:56 PM »

My goodness that sounds good.  Bookmarking this one.

I've got a recipe for steak and Guinness pie somewhere.  I think it's pretty similar to your recipe above, but with a pastry topping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiallin
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008 04:37:42 PM »

Guinness ice cream there are a couple different recipes online. I haven't tried it yet but it sound intriguing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daymoth
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008 07:36:56 PM »

mmm that sounds good! I have a recipe for Guinness cheesecake somewhere - I will dig it out!
I'm dying to see this one! My husband would flip. His birthday is coming up...I'm thinking Guinness Stew with Guinness Cheesecake for dessert... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008 06:57:55 AM »

I almost forgot!  I made Guinness Ice Cream one time, while I was perfecting my Guinness Stew recipe.  (I had an ex-boyfriend who was obsessed, so I made stew, ice cream, and beer bread one night.)  This is Emeril's recipe from Food Network, but it was great, so I thought I'd share.  I've also done Guinness cake, which was what I made my husband for his groom's cake at our wedding.  It was even shaped like a pint...  I'll have to find that recipe too!

*  12 ounces Guinness stout
    * 2 cups heavy cream
    * 2 cups whole milk
    * 3/4 cup granulated sugar
    * 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
    * 6 egg yolks
    * Dark Chocolate-Honey Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

In a large saucepan, simmer the Guinness until reduced by 3/4 in volume, about 8 minutes. Combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the vanilla bean halves. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Remove from refrigerator and add the Guinness reduction, whisking until well blended. Pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daymoth
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008 01:21:16 PM »

This is so awesome! I'm so exited that I have a plan for my hunny's birthday this year!! Guinness theme night here we come...  Grin
 I could totally hug you!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008 11:45:19 AM »

Knowing my ongoing love of Guinness, a friend just sent me this recipe too!  It's from the repressed pastry chef's website, but looks like it originally came from recipe zaar:  http://www.therepressedpastrychef.com/home/2008/10/17/guinness-chocolate-cupcakes.html 

I can't wait to try it.  Since I don't have any time yet this week I haven't made them yet myself, but I thought I'd share it with you all anyways!

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes
adapted from RecipeZaar

Ingredients
4 ounces unsalted butter
10 ounces dark brown sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
6 ounces plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
7 fluid ounces Guinness stout
2 ounces cocoa powder

Method
Prepare 18 muffin tins with paper liners
Preheat oven to 350 F
Cream butter and sugar together
Beat in the eggs
Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a separate bowl and set aside
Stir Guinness into cocoa and set aside
Alternately mix in 1/3 of the dry ingredients and 1/2 of the chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl... starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
Pour batter into prepared cups about 2/3 full
Bake for 18-20 minutes

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
8oz Cream Cheese
3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horeru
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010 10:43:00 AM »

I love drinking and cooking w/Guinness also, so just about anything I can put it in I do.  I made Guinness crock pot pot roast the other day that turned out well and I love Guinness chili!  These are not recipes I got anywhere, I'm just pretty good at throwing together, what I call, "crap in a pot" which is different every time.  I put down approximately what I would us, adjust to taste  Smiley.

Pot Roast:
2 med potatoes
2 med carrots
1 med onion in chunks
2.5-3lb roast
about 1.5 pub cans of Guinness (20oz I think?)
bit of flour
salt
pepper
any herbs you'd like

I put 3/4 of veggies in the bottom of the crock pot and turned it on high while i floured and braised the roast on the stove.  It turned out that the roast I got was an odd shape for my crock so I cut it in half and stacked the pieces then put the rest of the veggies and beer in and left for work.  My boyfriend came home around 5pm and turned the crock to low because the liquids were boiling and we ate around 6.30 when I came home.  I completely forgot to add any seasonings (salt, pepper, herbs) but had planned on it so next time hopefully I'll remember.

Guinness Chili:
1 green bell pepper
about 1lb ground beef
1-2 jalapenos
1 habanero if you like it spicy
1 med onion
1 can red kidney beans
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 14.5oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste to thicken (like 5oz I think)
1 pub can of Guinness
1ts cumin
few shakes of parsley and oregano
1ts curry powder (my secret is I don't use chili powder)
1-2 bay leaves

I chop the onion and mince the garlic and saute with the beef in oil in the pot.  When everything is good and cooked I add everything else (veggies chopped of course).  The tomato paste is just to thicken it so don't add all of it, just as much as you need.  If you don't have any you can let the chili cook down more and that'll thicken it as well.  We usually eat it over rice or fries w/shredded cheddar on top.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything and enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embroider a Towel
How to Embroider Pillows
How to Dry Flowers
How to Give Wood an Antique Look
Learn the Basics Of Ikebana
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...