A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make a fabric banner for your next fair! (Tutorial)  (Read 51286 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , felt , fleece , craftster , banner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2008 04:50:19 PM »

Ok, so you may know that Craftster was at Renegade Chicago!  Since I'm the resident Chicagoan, I was in charge of getting things ready.  One thing we definitely needed was a great banner.  Leah showed me a banner she'd made for her store Magpie by using fabric.

I lovvved the idea!

I went to Jo-ann and got colors/fabrics that I thought would be suitable.  I got a combination of fleece and felt, but really I just went for whatever color I liked best and didn't really have a preference for one or the other.  I got:
3 1/3 yards (about 10 feet) of white felt for the background of the banner
1.5 yards of black fleece*
1.5 yards of teal felt*
1/4 yard of baby blue felt

The rest of the fabric came from my stash
a tiny scrap of leopard print fabric
2 sheets of beige felt
1 sheet of dark brown felt
a scrap of gray felt

*The black and teal where both way more than I needed!

But I needed a template... So I got high res copies of the Craftster logo and of the striped shirt girl and had my boyfriend blow up the images in photoshop.  I'm assuming this is easy.... I don't do Photoshop.. Cheesy  He made the file 9 feet by 2 feet.  (This ended up being a little bit too large, so I'd suggest making the height a little smaller!)

I took the file to Kinko's and $13 later I got this!  Color was unnecessary as this was just a template so I got black and white.

(I was over eager and didn't get a shot before I started cutting it out. Cheesy)

As you can see, I started with the logo (because it was the easiest!) and just cut out the general shape to get at it, then cut it down to the edges. (I took out the inner white bits after this pic.)

Since the logo itself is only two colors and the outer portion of black in continuous, I was able to lay this down on my black fleece and trace it.  As you can see I did it backwards, although I think that's more force of habit than necessity, since fleece is basically the same on either side.  Of course, if you're using a printed fabric it would matter which way was up.

After tracing

The finished product from this step (needs to be ironed! yeesh.)

My oversight committee

Ok, now that I had the black portion out I could cut out the gray portion of my printed logo.  As you can see there are some letters missing.  Both t's and r's are exactly the same, so I just saved myself some time.

Then I traced them onto my blue felt.  Again, since there's no real nap I just put them down however they best fit.

Checkin' out my handiwork

Then, I layed out the black piece and pinned all of the corresponding blue pieces to the top, trying my best to keep the same sort of shadow as the original logo.  Then, I tacked them all down with fabric glue and then sewed them all into place.  I HIGHLY recommend doing the extra step of gluing!  It was definitely worth it!

Icky close-up but you can see how close I tried to be to the edge.  I didn't want my stitches to take away from the design, I wanted them to blend in as much as possible.

After this, I decided to go back and start working on striped shirt girl.  Mostly because the idea of placing the logo before the girl was even done was just ridiculous to me, partly because I do the easiest thing first. Cheesy  That being said, this girl was NOT easy!  I took days trying to figure out how exactly I was going to pull this off.  I only had one template for this girl, but tons of different pieces!  What I ended up doing was taking a regular sheet of paper, putting it over the original template and tracing the exact bit I wanted to work on.  The girl is actually still completely intact!

This is my first in progress shot of her.  As you can see, I'd already done the stripes of the shirt, the general shape of her face, arms, and book (which I kind of messed up on.  Lips sealed)  You may be able to see that some of the stripes are attached to each other in my version but not in the template. I did this to keep the shape until I was ready to glue it down.  I cut them out right before I did that.

(notice my swank pin cushion from Modus Operandi?)

I always imagined this girl as a blonde, but for the life of me I could not find a suitable blonde fabric in my stash.  So dark brown it was.  You can see I also made glasses out of some leopard print fabric and since I couldn't think of a better way to do it (embroidering would've been risky) I just traced her features directly onto the felt.  I actually ended up re-tracing them with a darker pen later and ruined the first face!

I wanted her to have pupils and irises but I didn't want the fabric to stick up to far.  My solution was to cut out her entire eye space, then put the smaller pieces underneath her entire face.  This obviously only worked because I had a white background!  You can also see her fancy eyebrows and scissors in this pic.

I sewed on the shirt but only around the sleeves for definition.  I felt like if I did that all over it would've been too much.  I also added small stripes with just a straight stitch

I gave more definition to the book/paper by using a zig-zag stitch.  I also emphasized her digits with a pen.

Her hair was too much of a helmet, so I cut out tiny misshapen triangles t make her hair seem more like hair.  I also used a lighter color colored pencil to add "highlights" Cheesy

Ok, now that the logo and the girl are done, I try my first shot at laying out the pieces.  As you can see, something's not quite right.  The blue bar of "table" just doesn't translate well.

I had a stroke of genius.  I really don't know why I thought to do this, but I'm glad I did! I had to glue down the girl in separate pieces, being careful of which went down first. Some at opposite ends having to go down at the same time...  Cheesy  I wanted to tack down the logo and the circles with glue, but I ran out!  No one would probably notice but the logo itself is a little wavy in some places and this is partially why.  Hence my previous recommendation!

Finally! Here it is in action!

So yea, it took a LONG time, but really it was so worth it.  We'll be able to use it ostensibly forever and it's a great representation of the logo if I do say so myself!   Smiley

So that's my wordy little sort of tutorial. If anyone has any question, please ask away!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010 02:35:49 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008 04:57:01 PM »

Awesome banner, and a great tutorial! Who is the hottie working at your booth?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008 05:13:52 PM »

Awwwwesomeness!!  I think my favorite part about the entire banner is her glasses. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.[/center]
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008 05:19:17 PM »

Awesome banner, and a great tutorial! Who is the hottie working at your booth?  Tongue

Cheesy She's a fox!

Great tute! You make the project look so approachable and easy!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008 06:02:55 PM »

So awesome and I'm not just saying that cause she looks like me with glasses Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008 06:49:53 PM »

Love it!! *bows down to the felt queen!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
CowgirlArtist
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008 08:32:07 AM »

What a beautiful Banner! Grin

I made one last year for my very first show on a budget!
I went to Home Depot and bought a Painters canvas drop cloth for $9 dollars..
Its huge! like shower curtain size. Then I painted my business name on it and a
western design.. I dont know how many customers have wanted me to make
them one too.. Its really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008 06:04:34 PM »

I love this banner so much!  You have so much patience!

Feeeeeeelix! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008 07:39:15 PM »

That Felix is a tough taskmaster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008 05:58:41 PM »

damn, what an awesome banner! i'm super impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bruce Weber Demystifies Racy Abercrombie Shoots
Bruce Weber On Why He Axed Cindy Crawford From A Shoot
Bruce Weber On Working With Kate Moss
International Festival of Fashion and Photography of Hyères - Photo Prize
Photographer Creates Amazing Shots of Babies Underwater
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...