A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Really easy mens' hat with earflaps pattern?/Pom Pom/Hat Knitting question!!  (Read 550 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DeathToFuzzyYarn
« on: October 07, 2008 09:39:56 AM »

Okay. A new friend of mine has asked if I can knit him a hat. He wants a beanie hat and if it's possible, with earflaps and a pom pom. I'm looking for a really easy pattern for a hat like this, since I've never really knitted a hat before. I have a set of four DPNs and a pair of 16" circular needles. I have several questions...

a. How do I go about attatching a pom pom? Are you supposed to make them yourself? Is it hard to?

b. Are earflaps easy to knit onto the hat? Would it look weird if I crocheted them on?

c. He wants a little pink in the hat [he's not a feminine guy or anything, he just likes pink and wants a bit of it in the hat] I don't know how to go about incorporating it-- bar stripes? Maybe pink in the pom pom? I've done regular fat stripes that alternate with the main color of the hat, but not bar stripes. I don't know how to do intarsia or Fair Isle Sad and I don't want to risk it on the project.

I'm just wicked nervous that I'll end up with a really crap looking, knobly hat with uneven earflaps and a pom-pom that is clearly stitched on and wobbling. I want to knit something nice. Thanks if you take the time to read this and answer all my ~burning questions~. Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008 01:44:23 PM »

I have never made a hat before.  However, I have made pompoms and they're so stupidly easy to do, you shouldn't worry.  If you're concerned about it looking floppy, I've seen them before where a crocheted chain connects it to the hat, and that looks neat, IMHO.  Second, I think the style hat you're looking for is called a toque--check Knitty, and knittingpatterncent ral.com for some nifty patterns.  And as for the earflaps, in knitting I've learned that barring mistakes, following the pattern (even if I don't understand why I'm doing what I'm doing) usually ends up in the FO I'm after, so I'd say start with a pattern that's got earflaps, and do 'em as the pattern advises.

Oh, and I'd put the pink in the pompom--what color is the rest of the hat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Nuno930
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008 06:16:36 PM »

The best way I have seen to attach ear flaps is the make each one separate keeping the last row on each ear flap live.  Then you can just knit them on when you CO the rest of your stitches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Depth of Field Preview Button
How to Take a Good Photo in a Swimsuit
How to Use a Reflector to Add Fill Light
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
Multiple Exposures in Macro Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...