A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warm Weather Suggestions?  (Read 3711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PrincessPeach

No, I'm not really a princess.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2004 11:09:37 AM »

Both my boyfriend and I live in warm weather states. (He lives in Hawaii, so there's not many days where it's ever below 70 and I live in California where as long as the sun is out, it's pretty warm)  I like knitting, but I don't like knitting things that I'll only wear a few times one season because it's too warm. Does anyone have any suggestions for some warm weather projects I can do?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sorry, but your princess is in another castle!
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004 12:15:22 PM »

what if you did stuff that was more lace-y instead of tightly knit? a few things that spring to mind are a wrap/skirt to go over you bathing suit on your way to the beach, a lightweight cardigan (it's always windy when you live near the ocean!), and a mesh bag to carry stuff to the beach. (i have a pattern for a crochet bag, but not a knit one. i'll email it to you if you like.)

can you tell i love the beach?! (i live in florida.  Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
PrincessPeach

No, I'm not really a princess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004 12:16:30 PM »

Thanks, I'd love the pattern for a crochet bag!  I think I can crochet a bit faster than I knit anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sorry, but your princess is in another castle!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004 12:28:49 PM »

At the goodwill the other day, I saw both crochet and knit patterns for light-weight sweaters.  They were those typical 80's style furry, light sweaters that you can just picture some blond with short, triangular, permed hair and pearl-pink lipstick wearing with pleated slacks.  But I hear the 80's are back.  (Way to make me feel old.  I did the 80's when they came around the first time...)  Anyway, they seemed like fairly simple patterns and I bet you could really make them funky.  Kick up the color a notch and play with the types of yarn, etc.

Also, a sleeveless sweater (I suppose you could call that a sweater-vest, eh?) would be nice.  Make it out of a really light-weight yarn, even a crochet thread, and do filet crochet for a nice open effect.  Wear it over a tank top.

Or, what about socks, slippers or sock-slippers?  Surely you wear slippers?

And what about this:
http://crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat120.html
That's right!  Make yourself a bikini!!

Then there are the hats.

Here are some vintage patterns that all look warm-weather appropriate:
http://www.geocities.com/fasharch3/patterns.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004 02:25:31 PM »

princess, your email address is hidden in your profile. if you want me to send you the pattern, you can send me your address at kabili@hotmail.com if you are worried about posting it on here on a public board.

also, another suggestion is to look around at www.knitty.com - they have an archive of their old issues, and the summer one has some interesting projects. (i had a chuckle when i saw the "grass" skirt.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
meexie
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004 11:44:22 AM »

I've been pondering the same thing (am living in the subtropics).  I've been making lots of cozies (mobile phone, tp roll, iPod, sewing case - it's starting to get a little silly, really), and bags.  I've also been building up a stash of cotton yarns and flax yarn, good for making hats and wraps and suchlike.  Silk would be fabulous as well!  Artfibers in San Francisco (www.artfibers.com) carries some luscious silk yarns (Siam, Chai, Gypsy) as well as ribbon yarns and a couple of cotton yarns.  www.elann.com has a bunch of cotton yarns right now too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 04:46:27 PM »

Last summer I knit myself two sleeveless tank-top-style sweaters using cotton yarn.  They turned out great and were lots of fun to make!   I had enough yarn leftover from one of them to knit a miniskirt, but I got distracted and forgot to finish it.  Heh, thanks for reminding me...

*goes off to find forgotten project*

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
grrl13
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004 06:30:01 AM »

I'm starting to think about warm weather knitting too, spring approaches and i'll missing my nifty hats and chunky scarves.  I'm thinking of making a tube style top, with ribbon straps the tie in bows on the shoulders. Or a lightweight knit halter style tops, beach bags, lacy poncho (thin yarn on huge needles).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004 08:56:10 AM »

I wear a lot of sleeveless knit "shell" and tank tops. Even in worsted weight, they're not too warm because they don't have sleeves and are still wearable in the "business casual" work environment. There are two cute patterns in S'nB that I'm planning on trying this spring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
gloriana
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004 10:02:04 PM »

ah yes - this is something I ponder b/c I live in Houston and I love to knit.  I've made a couple of cotton tanks lately - one from the Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits (the "Summer in the City" tank) - and one from the Stitch n' Bitch book ("Little Black Top").  I also am planning on trying some of the tanks/short sleeved sweaters in the Vintage Knits book.  Also, Knitty publishes a spring and summer issue that has some seasonal patterns - and I've also found pretty warm weather patterns in Interweave Knits (their spring issue is out and it's got some lovely tanks and other yummy stuff in it).  and I'm knitting a shrug right now (the "Shimmer" from the current issue of Knitty) - that I'm loving and I'm thinking I might start making several shrugs, since they are minimal and pretty - also good for office environments that are over-air-conditioned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Keang Paneang Gai
How to Cook Egg Bhurjee
How to Prepare a Cucumber Maki
How to Prepare a Sumosan Roll
How to Make the Perfect Potato and Aubergine Bhaji
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...