A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you sew curves? Hem them I mean.  (Read 1031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kateina_x
« on: October 06, 2008 09:55:44 AM »

I know this sounds really odd, but I get how to hem a straight edge, but when it's a curve, doesn't the fabric fold a bit, like theres too much? Do you get what I mean?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpicyChicaLisaAnn

love, life & craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008 12:29:33 PM »

if I understand, you're trying to sew a hem on a curve... so you'll probably need to snip the fabric that'll be fold under to allow that fabric to curve, maybe you have a pic of what you're working on for more help..?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BT
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008 02:43:32 PM »

You'll also want to make a very small hem. The deeper the hem, the more problems you'll have with the fabric bunching. Another trick is to finish the edge of the hem with a serger, but set the differential feed higher so that some of the fabric is eased into the stitching. This will make the hem "automatically" curve up somewhat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deftann

These things just happen.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008 02:32:04 AM »

Here is an excellent tutorial:

http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1125
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lil_abi
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008 09:29:35 AM »

You will absolutely have more fabric.  Think of the hem as a part of a circle, and you're folding the outer part in; outer arc > inner arc.  Therefore, extra fabric.

Tips:
1) Make teeny hems -- I second this wholeheartedly.  The closer the outer and inner arcs are together, the more similar the amount of fabric will be.

2) stay stitch before you hem.  This will make the folding/ironing part easier.  Use the stitching line as a fold-line.

3) Start at various points in the hem, e.g., at seams.  That way you'll be tucking in the extra at spaced-out intervals.  If you start at one point and continue all the way around, it'll be twisted, lumpy and you'll have a huge chunk of extra fabric at the end. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
naggie_maggie
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008 09:30:23 PM »

another option (works better on smaller circumferences) is to use a facing instead of a hem.

along the lines of lil_abi's #3 tip:
I like to pin  a larger curved hem in quarters then take each section and pin it in the middle, then in between the existing pins, and so on, then the excess can be pinned as little tucks.
I also think it makes it easier to run through a machine if you pin all the tucks so that the fold is facing in the direction you're stitching, if that makes sense. that way you're not getting hung up in the foot as you sew over the tuck.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008 01:40:30 AM »

I agree with maggie.  PIN PIN PIN!  Then you can figure out all those wiley folds before sewing them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008 02:11:12 PM »

If you're talking about a skirt or tablecloth or similar, my solution (because I absolutely hate hemming curved seams) is to use bias trim to hem. Voila, no excess fabric to fold under! You can do it to match exactly (make it out of the same fabric), or do it in a contrasting color/pattern. You could probably use cording or rick rac or lace too, but those aren't really my style. I did it on this skirt, of which I only have really crappy photos:

(If you can't tell, it's Simplicity 4494, which looks like this: http://flickr.com/photos/kls987/2457301242/, which has a lot of curves around the bottom edge.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naggie_maggie
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008 04:32:00 PM »

If you're talking about a skirt or tablecloth or similar, my solution (because I absolutely hate hemming curved seams) is to use bias trim to hem. Voila, no excess fabric to fold under!

Oh yes, bias rocks for finishing curved edges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheesamaburger
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008 07:40:13 AM »

I just use the largest stitch on my machine as a basting stitch, and leave long threads at the end.  Then, I gather the fabric in a little bit, then roll the hem and adjust it.  Pin the heck out of it.  Comes out perfect. 

I usually make a very large hem when I do this, because it is usually for a cloak and I need the extra fabric weight to keep the ends of the cloak down.  This method still works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Best New Beauty Products for March
Make Your Own All-Natural Physical Sunscreen
Cover Your Pimples Like a Supermodel
How to Fix Dry Brittle Nails
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...