A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super deal or wast of money?  (Read 852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phildude
« on: October 06, 2008 09:47:37 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310089544639

That is a link to a spinning wheel on ebay that im considering buying since is close by and looks like i might beable to get it for just 5 the catch is I dont think its all there and since nether I or the owner know anything as yet about spinning wheels I was desperately hoping some wonderfull craftster on here could have a look and tell me if anything is missing (which i recon it is) and also if said missing stuff would be relatively easy and inexpencive to replace i dont mid spending the equivalent of $3 on a spinning wheel thats missing bits if I can pick up or make the missing bits relatively cheaply.
Please lety me know so I dont wast my money you wonderfull helpfull people   Kiss

Oh and another quicky er you can spin any thickness of yarn on any spinning wheel right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darncat
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008 10:41:15 AM »

Other than the drive and brake band, doesn't look like anything else is missing.
For that price I would buy it!!
You might have to look really hard to find extra bobbins, or if you have an handy person around they might be able to make you some.

Quote from: Phildude
link=topic=272274.msg3075396#msg3075396 date=1223311657

Oh and another quicky er you can spin any thickness of yarn on any spinning wheel right?

Well it depends on the orifice size , that one looks like you can spin fine to bulky, you might have problems spinning super bulky or novelty yarns. But as you're new it will take a while before you will make those and if you decide to make any, you can buy a new flier to repace the old one. Who knows by then you could be totally hooked and start a collection of wheels.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008 10:47:24 AM by darncat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008 10:53:57 AM »

Well, without being able to see it in person, it looks like the main thing missing is the drive band, which is simple to replace.  The brake band might also be missing, hard to tell.  The fact that the flyer and the bobbin are present is excellent.  You should probably ask the seller if there are any other bobbins available, though it sounds like there aren't.  This isn't a deal-breaker, but it will mean that if you ever want to ply singles into a two-ply yarn, you'll have to wind the singles yarn off the bobbin before plying.  You can also look into possibly having some extra bobbins custom made for the wheel, as it looks older and might have been handmade to begin with.  It's good that the seller mentions that the wheel turns freely...this is something that is definitely important!  

The thickness of yarn you are able to spin depends mainly on the size of the oriface, which is the hole that the yarn goes through before winding on the bobbin.  The yarn has to be able to get through that hole.  Ratios of the wheel also tell you how easy it is to spin thin or bulky yarn.  Looking at that wheel, I'd say that it's probably an antique flax wheel, judging by the relatively small orifice, so it was most likely made to spin fine yarn.  Most antique wheels were built for this function.  Sometimes it's a little difficult for beginning spinners to start with this kind of wheel, but it was regularly done in the past...you can do it too!  Wink

It looks like a lovely and sturdy wheel.  I think 5 is actually more like $10, but it's still a steal!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Phildude
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008 03:29:11 PM »

yes ytour right i did my conversion the wrong way round 5 is about $8-$10 silly me thanx alot for the advice but iv had the most unberlievable luck today a wonderfull lady from freecycle dropeed off 6 pillow cases of fleece and when I mentioned about the spinning wheel sher said she has one I can have for free with all the parts in her loft along with another 30 pillow cases of fleece and a knitting machine I realy cant believe it !!
I'll definatly buy this wheel on ebay though if the other falls through for some reason.
Thanx alot guys carftser ROCKS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008 08:23:23 AM »

What what WHAT???

Oh my gosh, that is totally insane.  What fantastic luck!!  I seriously can't believe that lady is giving-GIVING-you 36 pillowcases of fleece, a spinning wheel + equipment, and a knitting machine.  INCREDIBLE!!

Good for you and have a blast!!!  Lots of resources on this forum on learning to spin.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Phildude
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008 08:44:06 AM »

I know its totaly insane isnt it I even got an email today saying she has some alpaca fleece fopr me that suposed to be realy nice stuff isnt it.
I am the luckyest beginner spinner in the world!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008 09:43:26 PM »

I am completely jello  ( jealous Wink  ) of you....   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David McCullough Reveals His Best Quality
The Monster Princess Book Trailer
Katie Kitamura Talks About The Longshot
Catherine Hickland Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
D.J. MacHale Talks About the Morpheus Road Trilogy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...