A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quad Skate Bowling Bag with transfer design  (Read 2923 times)
Tags for this thread: roller_derby  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 05, 2008 09:32:45 PM »

So, I wanted to make a classy bag for a classy dame who just happened to be my swap partner in the Roller Derby Style swap.

I wanted to try something a leeeetle different this time, so I drafted myself up a bowling bag design.

Honestly, I feel I went all out on this, and whilst it was hard to let it go, I'm overjoyed that I can point to it and say "Lookit what I made!!"

It's made of heavy white/cream curtain fabric. I think it's curtain fabric - it's got a thin thin plastic-ish backing. I use it a lot for bags, because the fabric doesn't really get wrinkly, it's very hard wearing, won't fray and I can do a lot to it. The inside is lined with black cotton, but there's no photo of that... it wouldn't even begin to photograph well.

Here's the image on the front - it's just a bit of clipart blown up to ridiculous size, and then transferred to the fabric using turpentine. Using turps makes it a very... quick process, but one I felt I didn't have a lot of control over. I honestly just hoped for the best and rubbed. The turpentine stink took a few days to go away - but it did.

Here's the view from the top. There's a zip, there's topstitching, and there's firm handles. The handles are each made from two lengths of craft tubing encased in a fabric tube, and then the ends are sewn down onto the bag. Oh, the sewing on of the handles hurt so much.

The tubing was randomly and heavily machine stitched to the white fabric. Then I cut out little squares of black fabric, and fused them to some VERY heavy (like, it's really stiff. Card sort of stiff) interfacing. Fold the raw edges under, and then with one square on the inside, another square on the outside I stitched them over the ends of the handles. By hand - and that's what hurt because at the top of each diamond I had to push the needle through the plastic tubing

I love a macro shot! Though this one just serves to remind me that I need to mess around with my machine's tension settings and practice my topstitching a bit more. For the moment, I'll just apologise for the stitching along the zip by saying that.... I don't actually own a zipper foot. Not at all. It got lost somewhere a long time ago, and I need to try and source another.

Enjoy!! I'd love it if you let me know if you've wisted it or something.

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 10:06:39 PM »

Super rad! I like the image you chose. Thumbs up!

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 10:17:20 PM »

Wow - Awesome bag - well done!

The handle attachment is particularly fine!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 11:38:44 PM »

i'm so jealous of your swap partner!  and your skills!  this looks great! Grin
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008 02:31:46 AM »

this is so cool! it looks so well made!
how did you transfer that image again?

just printed it out and laid it on top of the fabric soaked in turp?

ps: discover thimbles. i dont have one either, but i here they're practical Smiley

etsy: stuff i make 

I have 2 vintage dirndl skirts (floral) for oktoberfest  (US sizes 6-ish and 8-10) I would love to swap! anybody interested?
Kitten Wrangler

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008 05:27:33 PM »

Thanks guys!!!

I am familiar with thimbles - though I tend to prefer a small scrap of leather that I wrap around fingers, or wad for pushing - it lets my finger retain a leetle more control.

And the image transfer.

You need to use a photocopier - or something that prints with toner instead of ink. I then had a rag I dipped into the mineral turpentine, I lay the printout image side down on the fabric and started dampening the back of the paper with the turpentine. It soaks through immediately, so it was hard to see where I'd already rubbed the image onto the fabric and where I hadn't yet.

But, essentially, once there's turps all over the paper, you start rubbing and pressing the image onto the fabric. Then let it dry, maybe wash it a little as well, and your image should be there permanently.

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008 08:55:47 PM »

This bag is amazing.  Don't apologize for a thing, I think it looks GREAT!!!!  I am not into roller derby but I would LOVE to get a bag like this.

How did your swap partner like it?Huh

Kitten Wrangler

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008 09:37:54 PM »

I believe she loves it!

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008 08:15:49 AM »

wow, this turned out great.  i love it.  totally jealous of your partner.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008 08:25:50 AM »

Very cool!!!  Your hand stitching looks great, I dont see any red spots so I guess thats good Tongue!!!  I am just wondering, is there a reason that you hand stitched those on instead of machining them on?

Please become a fan of cindygert on my Face Book page.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Do If Thread Is Caught in Your Sewing Machine
The History of Hand Blown Glass
How to Make Better Flower Arrangements
How to Make Chalk on the Fly
How to Keep Buttons on
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...