A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Something Warm and Cozy  (Read 6688 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amybarnett
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008 08:06:20 AM »

Wow....lots of harsh words and opinions in here...hope you have taken them all with a grain of salt. 

Stuff like this...

UGH! The "fitting" of the sleeves looks horrible. The once nice sleeves are now all over the place in how good they look. You should have left it how it was.

...is really kinda RUDE  Angry  And should have been worded a bit better not to come across as snotty and bossy....YOU are NOT the one that made this garment, and you TELLING someone, instead of SUGGESTING never goes over well.  Maybe offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, with HELPFUL ideas for improvement instead next time...more bees with honey, not vinegar...

I agree with you TheSapphireMoon. I am often wary of posting on a topic where people are making insensitive comments but I could not resist.

I feel that the top that you made is lovely and you should wear it and be proud. And I am not just saying that to combat the meanies. I would wear it! It takes alot of work to make ANY garment and I think your choice of fabric looks quite cozy. Brown and blue is a nice color combo. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maybesomeday
shop my auctions:

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008 08:48:20 AM »

I like it much better with the sleeves taken in. I think the fabric you used may have been to heavy for the pattern. Did the pattern come with a list of suggested fabrics?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcm
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008 09:34:33 AM »

Yes, drapier fabric work better with looser clothes, in general.  But I think this is cute, and warm is always a plus.

But that's not the main problem.  I'd wear the top and ditch the boyfriend.  Who needs someone that rude in their life?  Not to mention that interfering, we're not even talking about something you're going to wear to meet his parents the first time, where OK his advice might be worth considering, if what you want is to make a statement about how submissive you are.  But this is something you're going to wear out with -your- friends, right?  If he can't cough up a compliment (even 'you're so creative darling, it looks so interesting'), the least he ought to do is shut up.

Trying to control what you wear, and denigrating your looks, is one of the early signs of a potentially abusive relationship.  I don't know how long you've been with this jerk, but think carefully about other patterns of put-downs and see whether it's time to run off screaming..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jlelliott
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008 10:22:21 AM »

I think it  was really cute to start with, the fabric is really beautiful.

And I have to say in response to the post above, her boyfriend telling her that he doesn't like it is in no way abusive. I would be happy if my husband would honestly tell me when he didn't like something. I mean, why do you even ask if you want to be lied to? However his opinion is just that, and you should feel free to ignore him when he's wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OhHappyDay
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008 12:35:13 PM »

I think it  was really cute to start with, the fabric is really beautiful.

And I have to say in response to the post above, her boyfriend telling her that he doesn't like it is in no way abusive. I would be happy if my husband would honestly tell me when he didn't like something. I mean, why do you even ask if you want to be lied to? However his opinion is just that, and you should feel free to ignore him when he's wrong.

Agreed. Just because he doesn't like the top doesn't mean he doesn't adore his girlfriend. I make fun of my husbands favorite falnnel shirt and I love him! He hates my "granny bag" but I just laugh and tell him when he learns to make one that he likes, maybe then I'll replace it (maybe Cool)!

I hope the OP took the comments as constructive criticism because when you ask thousands of strangers what they think...well, surely someone will rub either the OP or the readers the wrong way. It's the nature of the internet....so I hope she just takes what she wants from the responses and leaves the rest Wink.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nevaehyeknom
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008 01:24:56 PM »

I like it and would wear it.  Guys are weird when it comes to clothes and find a lot of random stuff embarrassing.  My older brother was ALWAYS getting on my case for my clothes, but I liked them and everyone else liked them.  Smiley  Rock that shawl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paper_mate
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008 02:15:26 PM »

I see it working really well as an evening piece with a simple black dress. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008 02:34:30 PM »

I think it looks very cute with the dress!

And putting on my work hat for a second, keep it nice, respectful, and on-topic, please! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyRain
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008 02:36:07 PM »

I really like it the original way-I think it looks Euro chic. But it still looks good with the pinned sleeves too. I think it would look awesome with a cream colored top and wide legged pants.
Wear it and be proud! Have fun at the concert!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homeschooling mama of 4 kidlets.

Mamahood is not for wimps!
Mondster
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008 02:44:42 PM »

Presentation, presentation, presentation.  1st of all, you have to rule out the BF.  Lordy, if I listened to my hubby all the time - I'd be in stilettos and mini skirts 24-7 (not that he ever changes the t-shirt & jeans look, never seems to go outta style).  Most boys, at least the ones that like girls have like no sense of style - sorry guys, I love you, but it's kinda true. 
Ok, back to presentation.  Ok, so, your pix don't do the jacket justice.  I would SO pull that baby off with a slim tank or T (cream or orange-y) and a nice pair of wide leg capris, with probably boots and a big chunky necklace or something.  That would look classy, elegant and hot all at the same time.  I'd wear it to work (and get mongo compliments) or out for a drink.
Aside from all that, as a piece in & of itself, it is beautiful - it is unique, fun, creative and perfectly yours.  Well done artist!  Keep up the good work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frank Lloyd Wright or An Igloo? Sexy Homes on Airbnb
Granite Vs. Laminate: Sustainability Below the Surface
Gardens of the Atomic Age: Landscaping Eichler Homes
Visitability: Smart Design Tips For Accessible Kitchens
Taking the Long View: How Not to Ruin the Eames House
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...