A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pfaff 2023 problem, thread keeps getting tangled.  (Read 4689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nmrfxxr
« on: October 05, 2008 11:29:10 AM »

the machine started doing this yesterday completely out of the blue, it's never done this before. it's a fairly new machine so I thought just threading it again would take care of this like with my old brother machine. alas, it didn't. I have NO IDEA what to do. it does the first two or three stitches as normal until there's some noise from the bobbin and the machine refuses to sew further. pulling the fabric off the machine reveals why - there's a huge mess of tangled thread on the underside. the upper thread apparently breaks for some reason while sewing and it's causing this, but I have no idea about what to do. I am on a pretty tight deadline here with an outfit I have barely started, so this really didn't happen at a good time! if anyone has any suggestions on what to do besides "thread it again to ensure it's threaded correctly Cheesy" or "clean the bobbin case", as I've done them both countless times, I'd be happy to hear. this was a fairly common problem with my old machine, but it always got solved with re-threading the whole thing and/or cleaning the bobbin case. now I've tried to solve it for HOURS with no luck and I have no clue about what I should do.
pics of the mess included just because.

SIX threads coming out of the machine. why are you doing this to me, dear machine?

this is how the underside looks like. pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steelygaze
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 11:40:37 AM »

My sewing machine does the same thing when the bobbin isnt properly wound or maybe not loaded.  Seems the threads get tangled and makes a HUGE mess.  You might try reloading the bobbin and be careful of the way that you put it in.  Also make sure that the thread coming from the bobbin is not twisted or coming off it in a weird way.  Good luck and hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steelygaze...Not all those who wander are lost
nmrfxxr
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 11:44:09 AM »

I've tried that, too, the bobbin is in correctly and all. the first few stitches are normal, but then this happens and when I open the bobbin case I can clearly see that the bobbin has "jumped" off a bit, as it's definitely not in correctly anymore. I wish I knew why. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty119
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 11:44:51 AM »

My stupid machine is doing this to me too. I have googled, googled, and googled the problem. The best I can come up with in the tension of the thread.... nothing to do with the bobbin itself. I don't know if I am supposed to adjust the tension up or down though... that's what I can't figure out. I think I'll try both...

good luck to ya!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008 11:52:31 AM »

Did you change the needle yesterday? a backwards needle or one that is not inserted completely can cause this as well.  It could also be that you have some lint build up under the plate of the machine that is catching the thread. Also check the bobbin carrier and make sure it doesn't have any knicks on the surface edge.   I would check these few things, make adjustments as necessary and then try threading it again.

I hope you work it out, I know how frustrating this can be!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Here Comes Trouble
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008 01:11:24 PM »

What sort of bobbin is it?  If it has a bobbin casing, you might try changing the tension of the bobbin casing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008 01:13:33 PM »

I've tried that, too, the bobbin is in correctly and all. the first few stitches are normal, but then this happens and when I open the bobbin case I can clearly see that the bobbin has "jumped" off a bit, as it's definitely not in correctly anymore. I wish I knew why. Angry

Does your machine use plastic bobbins?  When I first got my Viking I had this problem a few times, till I realised that the problem was overwinding the bobbin.  The machine would stop winding automatically when the bobbin was full, but it seemed to overfill it a little bit and the bobbin got kind of pushed out of shape very slightly which meant it stuck very slightly out of the bobbin case and wouldn't click properly into the bobbin race.  It made a terrible mess but it took me a while to figure out what was causing it.  Now I stop winding a couple of seconds before I know the machine will cut off, and I've never had the same problem since. 

The only other thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned (for the OP) is that maybe the bobbin is in the wrong way round?  In all three of my machines, the bobbin needs to go in so the thread pulls off anticlockwise, and it creates a mess like in your photo if you put it in the wrong way round.  But I'm sure you've checked that already.  Are you absolutely sure there isn't a wee bit of thread/lint stuck in there somewhere?  Have you taken the bobbin race apart?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nmrfxxr
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008 01:59:10 PM »

wow, thanks for so many replies! Shocked I've now tried and checked pretty much everything at least twice. I even changed the bobbin to another to see if it was somehow because of that, but no luck. there seems to be some thread still stuck in the bobbin race, but it's impossible to get out even with pincers, and it doesn't seem to be what's causing this (I don't know how to explain it, but I looked at what is happening in the bobbin race when sewing and the part with the stuck thread doesn't SEEM to have anything to do with this). I'm sure it's because of SOMETHING in the bobbin race but i don't know how to take it apart and the manual is useless in what it comes to that... maybe I'm not supposed to take it apart myself, hahah.
and yeah, the bobbin is definitely in anti-clockwise. I would have headslapped myself to death if this was because of something like that Cheesy

uhh. I am getting so frustrated already. I don't wanna take this to repair over something that doesn't seem like a big issue, I just need to figure out what it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldy
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008 03:32:20 PM »

Every thing I can find puts it down to the thread not going through the tension disk.
Apparently you should always thread your machine with the presser foot in the up position. This opens the disk thus making sure it is located properly.   hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krafty119
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008 05:31:45 PM »

Well, I just got done cleaning the machine... I was thinking, oooo my machine is giong to love me now!! and guess what?!?!!? It doesn't... still sticking. First two stiches - okay - beyond that - jumbled mess.

I went to Joanns and all the lady would say is - bring it in for repair...

I know it's something simple... but what?!? AUGH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Graphic Tee
How to Choose Retro Clothes
Show Off Your Curves With Confidence!
Using Color to Appear Thinner
An Accessory to Make You Look Thinner
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...