A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
571 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Orange pillowcase w/zipper TUTORIAL  (Read 2309 times)
Tags for this thread: pillowcase , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pink tarantula
« on: October 05, 2008 08:48:41 AM »

I'm a beginner at sewing, so anytime I make something it feels so good! I tried to put togheter a tutorial for my first ever pillow case with zipper, probably one of the easier projects if you want to learn how to sew. I wish I'd taken more pictures during the making. Here's the finished pillowcase:

Both the pillow and the fabric were found in the storeskrald (a sort of danish trashroom, present in most buildings, but for stuff that is going to be recycled by 1) thrift stores, or 2) other people who may take it (like me), or 3) burnt to make energy for the city). I bought the zipper in a thrift store, so the whole project costed 2 danish kroner.

You need fabric, a zipper, scissors, pins, paper to trace the measure of your pillow case, a sewing machine OR needle and thread (if you wanna sew by hand). Thats it.

Trace the measure of your pillow case on paper (leave about 1,5 or 2 cm more, according to the thickness of the fabric and how it stretches). Pin the paper on fabric and cut the fabric down to the right measureyou need 2 pieces of fabric (with the same exact size).

Now youre ready to sew the zipper! The zipper should be just a little shorter than the length of the side its gonna be sewn on.

Place one of your fabric cut out RIGHT SIDE UP and place the zipper WRONG SIDE UP at the very top of the piece of fabric, like above. Pin it and sew the top part of the zipper (remember to use the zipper foot if you use the machine). You should do the same for the other piece of fabric - dont panic, its easy, just not very intuitive - like anything related to sewing! Then your zipper is sewn in nicely.

Now open the zipper towards its half and sew together the pieces of fabric on the other 3 sides (the right side, left side and bottom), fabric should be WRONG FACE UP (basically you flip it, then sew it). Reinforce the corners by sewing back and forth on them.

Then through the opening you left with your zipper you can flip the whole thing back, and thats your finished pillow case. Insert pillow!

As you can see from this last pic, the zipper wasnt sewn in with the most precise techniquemmh..I used a fabric that was very thin and very very stretchy - thing I usually try to avoid (Im just a beginner after all). But I couldnt resist the color!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rawNgirlie
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 09:29:52 AM »

i think i might have to try this... i really need some pillows for my couch... and hmm i think i might even do this to a few pillow cases on my bed.     thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gdeeaz
Look at me, Look at me, Driving and I won't stop, And it feels so good to be Alive and on top, My reach is global, My tower secure, My cause is noble, My power is pure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 10:31:38 AM »

i will be doing this for sure. one of my guy friends has been wanting me to  make him a los angeles dodgers pillow so now i think i will do it. good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pink tarantula
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 10:49:45 AM »

Thank you, and good luck with it - it's really a pretty easy project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chickey
Alaskan blend: cold-pressed, almost undrinkable.

Like, y'know, whatever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008 12:53:47 PM »

So cute and super-easy too!  I am going to refashion a bathrobe (yes, you read that correctly) into some pillows today.  Thanks so much for posting this.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not left-handed either." - The Princess Bride
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Five Visual Draws
Doug Jaeger on How Photography Passion Plays Into Creative Career
Nature Photography in Yellowstone Park
Dog Photo Tips
MBUK First Look Photoshoot
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...