A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: black and plaid dress with bustle skirt~ NOW WITH TUTE [img heavy]  (Read 23654 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lauralyn
« on: October 05, 2008 02:22:11 AM »

here's my latest creation! i really wanted a dress with a lolita-esque skirt on it, so i made this dress.
the top of the bodice is from a pattern but the waist band and skirt are my own creation :3
tutorial is below Cheesy

http://laura-andrews.com/craftster/plaidbustle1.jpg

http://laura-andrews.com/craftster/plaidbustle2.jpg

http://laura-andrews.com/craftster/plaidbustle3.jpg

http://laura-andrews.com/craftster/plaidbustle4.jpg

~~~~~~~
TUTORIAL
~~~~~~~

For the bodice of this dress I used Simplicity 2951 and then created my own waist band by tracing the bottom lines of the bodice pattern and extending it down 2 1/2 inches. I also modified the pattern so that there is a side zipper in order to accommodate the skirt (aka: sewed the back seam together and then ripped out the side seam..)

Anyways~ now onto the skirt..

The measurements I'm giving are for the skirt in the pictures below (not above).
I started out by figuring out the dimensions. For this skirt, I wanted the length to be 25" and the waist to be 30" around.

From there, you can figure out how much you want to gather the skirt. I decided to do 2x the waist measurement. The front waist measurement was 15", so the front panel is 30". The ruffle on the front panel is 2x that which = 60".
The back of the skirt increases in increments of 15". The top layer is 30", the second is 45", and the bottom is 60".

Here are the pieces you need for this skirt:

Cut out the front bodice piece. In my case the measurements were 16.5" long x 30" wide.

Cut out the ruffles. I figured out how many inches of ruffles I would need from my drawings. It ended up being 195". So then I divided that by the width of the fabric which was 45 and I ended up cutting 5 strips of fabric for the ruffles and sewing them together to get one long piece.

Then I cut the long pieces into the lengths I needed. (This keeps the seams from lining up and becoming noticeable.. and saves fabric!)

Take the long bottom ruffle rectangle and baste it with the machine twice in order to gather it. Gather and pin to the bottom of front panel. Sew together.

Press open seams [just reminding you Smiley]

Set that piece aside and start on the back of the skirt. You will need to trapezoid shaped pieces to go under the ruffles. I kind of picked an arbitrary size based on the waistband size (looking back, I would have made it bigger at the bottom edge).

Take the top back ruffle piece and gather it. Attach to the top of trapezoid piece (fashion side facing up on both). Pin and sew together.

Gather the middle back ruffle rectangle. Attach to the bottom of the trapezoid piece (fashion sides together this time).

(note: this pic is upside down from the last one)

Then sandwich the gathered ruffle with the other trapezoid piece.

Pin it really carefully and sew. You can baste the first two pieces together first if you need to before adding the third layer.

So then you end up with this:

Time to attach the last ruffle piece. Gather, pin and sew to the bottom of the second trapezoid piece.

(note: another upside down image)

After the back of the skirt is assembled, hem the top two ruffles. Leave the bottom ruffles to be hemmed once the skirt is sewn together.

And then you have this:

Carefully pin the side seams together. Sew the left side seam all the way. Sew the right side seam from the bottom to the top of the second ruffle (leaving 6-8inches for a zipper).

The next step is to gather the front of skirt. I suggest sewing the basting stitch like this:
The tail ends are hanging out on the side where the zipper will be.

Then gather the skirt, and pin it onto the waistband of your dress and sew together. Put in the zipper and youre done!

So this is my first time writing one of these, so if anything doesn't make sense please let me know and I will try to clarify. I'm hoping to do more tutes in the future and I want to get better at making them.

Oh and here is the finished skirt from the tutorial [I put an elastic waistband in it, so it's different from the tutorial... but then I ended up ripping it apart and putting a zipper in it after I took these pics Sad ]

EDIT: new pics on page two
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013 01:11:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lavendeer.com

"Do you believe in something beautiful? Then get up and be it.." - Ted Leo
cheap chardonnay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 03:43:22 AM »

That's so cute! I love the back of the skirt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threehang
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 04:32:44 AM »

that's ADORABLE, I LOVE the ruffles and all the detail of the dress, amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Boo_its_Brittany
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 07:20:53 AM »

Awwww!
So cute.
I love it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See something you like? Check out my shop!
www.facebook.com/FrillsandChills (Don't forget to "like" Cheesy!)
www.etsy.com/shop/FrillsandChills
*custom orders welcome!*
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008 08:20:35 AM »

Very cute.  I'm glad bustles are coming back in.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for AU Craftsters who can help with artsy-craftsy museum research.  Please PM me! 

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
FaceItWereAddicted
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008 09:15:18 AM »

DEFINITE for the patternn! excellent work! i love the back!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pandaemonium
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008 12:32:08 PM »

awesome ... anything made with plaid is awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theaterbabie
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008 12:31:42 PM »

if you still have time to make a tute i would love one, also what pattern did you use for the top?  and what fabrics did you use... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brittany: Come in here
Me: I'm Busy
Brittany: Every time you scream my name I come
Jessica: That's what she said!
gopoundsand
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008 02:19:44 PM »

i absolutely love plaid! that looks soo freaking cute on you  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauralyn
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008 04:36:26 PM »

if you still have time to make a tute i would love one, also what pattern did you use for the top?  and what fabrics did you use... 

The tutorial is up Cheesy
The pattern is simplicity 2951. And the fabric for the top is just a plain soft black cotton lined with a random calico cotton I had lying around. The plaid is from the $1 bin at Walmart (I got like 10 yards of it about a year ago.. lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lavendeer.com

"Do you believe in something beautiful? Then get up and be it.." - Ted Leo
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 15/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 11/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 12/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 13/26
How to Crochet a Baby Cap Part 8/13
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...