A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red Amphibious Party Dress (of Shame?)  (Read 12679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2008 12:10:44 AM »

Supermarket Sacrilege The Red Amphibious Party Dress (of Shame?)

I had many ideas for this challenge. There was a flappers dress made out of popcorn, a mini dress made from burger rings, a ra ra skirt made out of lettuce, and a mesh shirt made from bottletops and strawberries.
But, I wanted something full on, crazy, something no one thought to do. I dont think I achieved that, but I love the simplicity in the final product, so Im happy. If you would like more pictures (and I have lots!), visit my Facebook (Ive made the photo album public, so anyone should be able to view.) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=36526&l=c14ee&id=620791877
Ta Da! I calls it The Red Amphibious Party Dress. What else could possibly describe this little baby? Nothing! Cheesy What is a dress without a fantastic name?

So, I went to the shop, and bought my materials.

My original plan was a sexy red party dress, with an enormous crazy red patchwork skirt, frogs on the bodice, and bottlecaps for sound effects. I started to shape the dress.

I created the skirt.

The dogs than ate some of my materials, and made the floor in my messy, messy study smell like port wine jelly crystals and paprika. Im sure they had a great time eating all that. Sigh.
I attempted to dye the poplin I had lying around with the Fire Engine Red food dye and the Red Cordial. My hands became very, very red. I was sure it would stick. To be sure, I left them to soak overnight. But alas it washed out . Almost completely. You couldnt even tell Id let them soak in anything. So I rubbed what Paprika I had left into the material strips. Which just created encrusted, slightly yellow material.
I gathered what little creative energy I had left, and made an enormous tube of white poplin that I could than gather onto the bodice as a skirt to place over the orange garbage bags. I figured I could sew the bottle caps onto the skirt to look like polka dots, but to keep within the red theme I painted them red. No biggy. However, I ran out of creative get go. So I threw my hands up in the air, got grumpy, and ignored the project for a week or two.
When I got back to it, which was a day or two before the end date, I was encouraged and inspired by my fellow craftsters, and sewed the skirt onto the bodice. Now, it looked like a dress. A wearable dress. I started to sew the bottle tops on, and it looked bad. Really blah. So I dropped that idea, and just began on the froggy bodice.

A few hours, and very sore fingers later, Id completed the bodice, created the bow, and was all ready to head out for pictures. But I needed just the right place.
The Playground. The next morning, my friend and I headed out down the road to take some fun pictures. The dress decided not to fit me anymore, and it kept threatening to come off and bare my shame. But, the playground is the best place to take pictures!

That last picture is my partner proving the frogs are edible. Smiley

Thus the dress was made out of:
2 Packets of "Frogs Alive" (Jelly Frogs) - used to decorate the bodice
1 bag of Garbage Bags (had 3 large garden sized bags in the pack) - used to add volume to the skirt,the ties were used to create the bow, and some extra bag was used to make the flower.
About 3 or so metres of poplin (not purchased from the supermarket)
So, although my original list was $17.91ish, I only used about $5 or $8 of materials. Smiley

Smiley Hope you like it! I think the most fun I had was taking the pictures. Smiley Don't forget to vote!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008 10:44:54 PM by Rhiannon Sarah - Reason: Added more details » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Bringing the Extraordinary, to the Ordinary -
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 09:15:43 AM »

Grin Very fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
crazyda79
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008 02:47:06 AM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 my list on page 54
119/50 swaps
93/50 friends/family
212/50 total
StyxAndStones
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008 02:53:16 PM »

Highest and best use of gummy frogs and garbage bag crinoline!

DO WANT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a part of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect."--G. Carlin
CamillaDog
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008 06:15:57 AM »

Fantastic. Those frogs just work! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008 05:46:51 PM »

Thankyou! I'm really happy with how it turned out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008 09:55:19 PM »

Your dress is adorable, I love the froggies! btw .. my 5yo is Rhiannon also Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008 10:13:47 PM »

btw .. my 5yo is Rhiannon also Shocked)

Smiley

My step-sister is Rhiannon, I knew a Rhiannon at Primary School, was friends with a Rhiannon at High School, met a Rhiannon at a Hot Dog Stand, and saw a girl wearing a leavers jumper (with Rhiannon on the back) walking down the road near my house.

I swear, they pop up everywhere!

Though, most I know of were named after the Fleetwood Mac song. However, I am Rhiannon Sarah, named after 2 Fleetwood Mac songs!! Cheesy

I think your daughter is very lucky to have been named after such a beautiful song. Unless it was after the Welsh Goddess, in which case I still think she is lucky. It's a beautiful name. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieAnalogue
Analogue girl in a digital world.

Stylist and designer with a subversive streak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008 06:42:53 AM »

This is very pretty and creative.
Being amphibious, you could wear it to, say, a garden tea party, and then head straight to a pool party without a costume change. Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Allie
Stylist and designer, a fashionista with a subversive streak. I believe that fashion should be fun and fortifying, not mean or oppressive.

My blog: www.AnalogueChic.com
My shop: AllieAnalogue.Etsy.com
CafePress: www.CafePress.com/AnalogueChic
Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008 07:53:58 PM »

I did plan to go to the beach, to emphasise the amphibious nature - but it was cold, and my friend only had limited time. And Sweeney Todd was on.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008 12:31:40 PM »

btw .. my 5yo is Rhiannon also Shocked)

Smiley

My step-sister is Rhiannon, I knew a Rhiannon at Primary School, was friends with a Rhiannon at High School, met a Rhiannon at a Hot Dog Stand, and saw a girl wearing a leavers jumper (with Rhiannon on the back) walking down the road near my house.

I swear, they pop up everywhere!

Though, most I know of were named after the Fleetwood Mac song. However, I am Rhiannon Sarah, named after 2 Fleetwood Mac songs!! Cheesy

I think your daughter is very lucky to have been named after such a beautiful song. Unless it was after the Welsh Goddess, in which case I still think she is lucky. It's a beautiful name. Smiley

She was named for the Welsh Goddess Rhiannon, even though I ADORE Stevie Nicks, I didn't realize the song's name was Rhiannon until people started asking if I named her for the song. lol (she thinks she's a goddess too) When I picked her name, I hadn't heard it used very often, but now I find other Rhiannon's often and I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
fromsophia
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008 09:15:45 PM »

that is so cute. I hope you ate the gummy bears head first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anonymouscarrie
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008 08:42:57 PM »

This is too cute!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NicholeH
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008 03:18:58 PM »

Super Creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
How to Easily Switch Your Hair from Day to Night
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s Top 5 Hair Must-Haves
Tia Mowry-Hardrict Reveals Her Hair Challenges
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...