A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Romance Pink Baby Dress (IMG HVY)  (Read 1213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2008 02:39:48 AM »

My Nephew's baby girl was born on 25th September 2008 (not 25th October 2008 - Oh dear it was late) weighing 5lb 10oz.  We're seeing the baby tomorrow.  I'm taking the other dress (dusky pink paisley jumper) I posted on here last month and this new one as a present.

It is made from a cut off in my scraps.  The fabric was New Romance.  It is a dusky pink lilly of the valley flower inside teardrop pattern on a beige back ground.  It is mid weight cotton.  I didn't match the pattern very well on the dress as it slants a bit.  I thought I did when cutting, but it hasn't quite worked out.  I didn't want to unpick all my overlocking, so I've left it as a quirk.  Better try next time.  As I'll say to them it was just something I thought I'd try and if they don't like it she doesn't have to wear it.  It didn't cost me anything.

The dress is my own design.  I think it'll fit a 2 to 4 month old.  As it is bigger than newborn clothes, but smaller than the 6 month other dress I made.  I've put a zip in the back for ease of dressing and added ricrac to spice it up because it look quite borring before it.  The dress has a pleated rear to allow for nappies on little baby bottoms.  Ideally it is meant to be worn over a thick long sleeve tshirt/roll neck, vest and tights.

It's the first time I've put a zipper in and it wasn't that hard.  It was my first time with ricrac.  It is tiny half usual size ric rac which was extremely fiddly.

Here's the pictures.  the dress still needs pressing and I have to take out the tack stiching on the ric rac now that is is sewn it, but it gives you a good idea.

comments more than welcome.  It was made in a rush, so it isn't my best effort.  The pics were taken last night on my phone, sorry for awful quality.

The baby is absolutely wonderful.  Her mum loved both dresses, but action shots were impossible.  Being 5lb 8oz now as she's only 4 days old she was too little for the dresses I've made.  she's so small that even the prem baby stuff is too big.  Very cute though and a good looking baby.  OK I am biased, but she is cute.  I had to have 2 cuddles and my husband got a bit worried.   Grin
Her mum has asked me to make more which is a good sign!  Looking back at the photo's of this dress they aren't very flattering.  I should take them in daylight and not against my horrid undecorated walls.  But hey you liove and learn.  I'm just glad her mum liked them.  I got to pass on a few spare toys too which means a little less clutter in our house!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008 02:59:56 AM by blossom1044 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
Munora
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 08:35:09 AM »

I think it's precious. I love the ricrac. I think you have the  birthday wrong in your post. Maybe you meant September.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
deeredone2
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 08:53:35 AM »

That is a precious little dress. I think the date is wrong too. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
devotedabbler
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 06:27:29 PM »

Like the ric rac loops. Have not seen that before, I may try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May our efforts reflect our values.
May the variety in life bring us joy.
May we seek to inspire not compete.
May we have happy hearts.
blossom1044
I want to make things - I want to get better! I must have patience with myself!

I'm a mum 1st, craftster 2nd & I hate working FT!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008 08:00:45 AM »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.  I've edited the birth date.  daft woman!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love
T
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing for Pregnancy in 5 Easy Steps
Middle Men by Jim Gavin
Daniel Wallace Talks About His Novel The Kings and Queens of Roam
The King Years by Taylor Branch
The 10 Second Rule Makes Following Jesus Easy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...