A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: House of Holland Tees - Harry Potter Style! w/ Tutorial  (Read 11496 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lenalove
« on: October 04, 2008 08:53:27 PM »

So my friends and I saw this great post on Fashionista with Harry Potter House of Holland slogans a couple of years ago, and (being huge crafty nerds) decided to try our hand at it! I just came across this photo, and I thought I'd upload a tutorial!

TUTORIAL

Okay, so I SWEAR I took photos of this process at some point but I must have lost them when my computer crashed. But then again, I also thought I put up a tutorial and obviously I didn't. If/when I do this again I'll upload photos.

Materials:

- American Apparel Men's Short Sleeve Fine Jersey Tee (best to go in and try one on, it should come to about the bottom of your hips)
- Screen Printing Ink or Fabric Paint (I used Speedball, but it came out a little thicker/stiffer than I was hoping for. You might want to do some research about which is best.)
- Sponge Brush
- Freezer Paper (it's like one-sided wax paper)
- Exacto Knife
- Iron
- Computer, Printer
- An appropriate font -- I thought Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed seemed closest

Steps:

1. Measure how wide you need your letters to run (both side-to-side and top-to-bottom) on the shirt.

2. Open up a new file with your editing software of choice. Make the dimensions the measurements you just recorded. Set the font to Franklin Gothic Extra Condensed and the alignment to "justify."

3. From here, fool around with the words in the slogan you picked until you get a look you like. Look at photos of HoH tees for inspiration. Try your best to fill up all of the space you've set up without cutting anything off.

4. When you're done, print it at actual size (mine tend to take 4 sheets of paper) and then cut/tape the papers together so it's like a poster. Tape this down on something you don't mind carving into (i.e. matt board), and then tape a piece of freezer paper (waxy side DOWN) over it.

5. Cut out the letters with an exacto knife. This can take a while, so you might want to put on a movie. : )

6. Lay the shirt flat and place the freezer paper where you want it. Iron it on, making sure that you leave no gaps (especially along the edges of the letters). The paper should adhere to the shirt. If you aren't careful here, your letters will leak (as you can see on my shirt).

7. Now's the fun part: paint in the letters! I used a sponge brush, but a roller would probably get more even application (as you can see, again, mine tended to vary).

8. If you think you can be careful, you may want to peel off the freezer paper before the paint is dry. If your letters have bled anywhere, you'll have time to do a little bit of cleanup.

Sorry for a somewhat inarticulate and pictureless tutorial! Let me know if there's anything you're confused about!!

Also, here are some of the HoH slogans we found / came up with.

Via Fashionista
What's under your cape Severus Snape?
Your wand's too measly for Ginny Weasley
Fancy a smack Sirius Black
I've got wood Luna Lovegood
On all fours Gryffindors
Grab my bum Victor Krum

Via Neighborhoodies
Don't be a stranger Hermione Granger

Ours (not as good, but hey)
Nobody's hotter than Harry Potter
Give into sin Remus Lupin
Don't play coy Draco Malfoy
Fast and rough with Hufflepuff
Don't withdraw Ravenclaw

Mods: let me know if this should be under "Designer Homage"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010 01:03:19 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheap chardonnay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008 03:58:57 AM »

HAHAHA

That is so awesome, I love this idea!  Especially with me being a huge HP nerd and all.
Definitely going to try this one out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamonbun