A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterick B4669 Corset style top  (Read 8634 times)
Tags for this thread: brocade , butterick_4669  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arcadian green
I wants flies in on dragons!

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 04, 2008 07:41:46 PM »

I meant to post this a long time ago but Iíve been lazy. I made this top last year when I went as a pirate for Halloween. The pattern calls it a corset but I don't really think it's anything like a corset. Anyways....I picked out the pattern, bought the fabric and got started on it all within a week of a Halloween. Not something I would ever do again. Having only 5 evenings to work on a whole costume didnít work out so well. I ran out of time to make boot covers so I had to improvise instead.  Undecided Also I bought the wrong size pattern!!!! Angry  I bought the larger sizes and and I had to use the smallest of the larger sizes. It didn't fit as well as it should have. Guess I'll pay attention to what I'm buying next time!

I chose View D because I liked that all the pieces would lace up together.  I did leave off the pleated peplum because ďPirates donít wear skirt thingyísĒ!!!

It took me forever to pick out fabric. I decided to go with black brocade because I was afraid of buying some bright pretty fabric and messing it up. It has a dragon design in black on the fabric and I lined it in black. I used bright blue ribbons to lace it up because I liked the idea of having some bright color to it.  Smiley

Front

Back

A few days before Halloween I searched the internet trying to figure out what to do about the eyelets. I came to the conclusion that hand sewing the eyelets would be the best idea but I was pretty sure I couldnít hand sew 86 eyelets in two days. I had to finish working on other parts of my costume.  Instead I used a store bought junky eyelet punching thingy.  Sad I donít remember what they are actually called. I went to the leather section of the craft store and bought some eyelets because the ones in that section were a bit sturdier than the ones in the fabric section. I still ended up using both kinds. At the end of the day the eyelets from the leather section of the craft store held up while the flimsy ones I got in the fabric section started falling out. I put the eyelets in the night before Halloween. My hands hurt from punching 86 of those things into the fabric.

I think if I made this pattern again I'd buy the right size and consider doing something different about the eyelets!!  Smiley

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am such a nerd. I wore this to work for Halloween last year and I laced the front two pieces upside down. I kept thinking it looked odd.  Smiley I doubt anyone noticed. The lacing doesn't look pretty right now because I pulled it all out to correct it but didn't feel like making the ribbon look nice.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008 07:46:29 PM by arcadian green - Reason: making my post even more long winded » THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenxxxdee
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008 07:55:50 PM »

I love it!  About the eyelets, the pliers that they sell aren't worth anything but using as a hole punch (a $20 hole punch, what a waste of money!) the best way to apply the eyelets (one piece) is to do them by hand.  Also if you want them to stand up to moderate/high wear or stress from tighter lacing, go to the local hardwear store and get the tightest fitting metal washers you can.  Put these on the back side before "crimping" the eyelets.  this will help prevent the eyelets from popping out.

If you're serious into making a tighter lacing corset, even if just for playing dress up, i would also suggest looking for duct strapping.  It is also at the hardware store.  It is a nickel strip that is about 5/8ths of an inch wide with evenly spaced holes (that are perfect for small eyelets).  This helps stop any pulling, keeping the edges of the corset straight. 

I havent tried using the pliers with the washers, maybe it would work that way too.

Good luck!

Also, may I again say that I love that, super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 03:45:53 AM »

Oh my god that is gorgeous!  What pattern is it?  MUST HAVE!

Seriously though, that is gorgeous, and you made it in only 5 days?  Amazing!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
arcadian green

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 07:14:50 AM »

I love it!  About the eyelets, the pliers that they sell aren't worth anything but using as a hole punch (a $20 hole punch, what a waste of money!) the best way to apply the eyelets (one piece) is to do them by hand.  Also if you want them to stand up to moderate/high wear or stress from tighter lacing, go to the local hardwear store and get the tightest fitting metal washers you can.  Put these on the back side before "crimping" the eyelets.  this will help prevent the eyelets from popping out.

If you're serious into making a tighter lacing corset, even if just for playing dress up, i would also suggest looking for duct strapping.  It is also at the hardware store.  It is a nickel strip that is about 5/8ths of an inch wide with evenly spaced holes (that are perfect for small eyelets).  This helps stop any pulling, keeping the edges of the corset straight. 

Thanks for the info!  Smiley I'll keep that in mind when I do want to make something that laces up tighter.  I have some other patterns  I want to try out so I think I'll defiantly try doing the eyelets different.

Oh my god that is gorgeous!  What pattern is it?  MUST HAVE!

Seriously though, that is gorgeous, and you made it in only 5 days?  Amazing!  Shocked

The pattern is Butterick B4669 .  The pattern was pretty simple to put together and I think I sewed it in a few hours over a two night period.  The only problem I ran into was sewing the lining in. I would have to pull the pattern and out and look at it again but there was a part that confused me for awhile. Something to do with the way I was suppose to sew part of the lining. I think I just ended up doing it my way.  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Uber Domestic
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009 12:59:30 AM »

I used this pattern to make a corset for my friend for Ren Faire last year.  I skipped the boning and made the whole thing out of heavyweight interfacing, which actually worked really well.  I thought the pattern fit well and was easy to put together.  I added ribbon sleeves for extra awesomeness.  I can't post pics yet, because I'm a no0b, but here's a link.
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/118/l_9a472ed204c1a2a03ff098c9bfea4f2f.jpg

THIS ROCKS   Logged

arcadian green

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009 09:09:40 PM »

I used this pattern to make a corset for my friend for Ren Faire last year.  I skipped the boning and made the whole thing out of heavyweight interfacing, which actually worked really well.  I thought the pattern fit well and was easy to put together.  I added ribbon sleeves for extra awesomeness.  I can't post pics yet, because I'm a no0b, but here's a link.

When you say you skipped the boning I'm guessing you mean the piping on the edges? Since there was no boning mentioned in the pattern.... Lips sealed    I think the ribbon sleeves are an intresting addition. I was thinking about making the pattern again but maybe reversable. If I ever get my sewing machine cleaned off!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gibsongirl71
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009 10:41:21 AM »

Wow! What a great job!! I love the blue ribbon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gibsongirl71
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009 01:41:46 PM »

Also you may want to buy a real gromet setter if you are going to do any more of these. I bought mine at corsetmaking.com. The grommet setter kit is about 22.00 and it does come with some grommets. I would buy extra to have on hand. The also sell metal boning which is great. Alls you will need is a smallish hammer and a small block of wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenwhick
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010 12:45:36 AM »

beautiful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Badgermole
Big&Bad

hates wolfbats but loves the sound.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010 05:10:53 PM »

It's very pretty. ^^

How hard do you think the pattern would be for someone who has never used a pattern before? My sister just bought this pattern for some costume, but she's never used one before, and I'm pretty new to them still...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eugene Soulieman on The 80s Hair Trend
DJ Riggs on the Mara Hoffman Spring 2012 Hair Trends at NYFW
See If This Ionic Brush Can Really Smooth Frizzy Hair
Update Your Look With Hair Extensions
How to Get Soft and Shiny Locks with Steam
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...