A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's oversized cardigan, henley/hoodie, shorts from scraps, and "Fogell" vest.  (Read 3938 times)
Tags for this thread: mens_clothing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iggy.boy
« on: October 04, 2008 06:49:39 PM »

Although the items weren't made to compliment each other, it's an outfit nonetheless. In just under 10 hrs.!

It all started when a friend commented on the Utility Vest I made recently (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=271216) and calling it a "Fogell" vest, which is a character from a movie called 'Superbad' (pictured below) So, I begged to differ and made a real vest that resembles a more geeky version.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comiccon/images/2007/07/13/vest_mclovin_2.jpg

I made the vest in no time that I still had the urge to sew another item ... or three.

Scrap shorts made from literally scrap fabrics. I recently did a scrap fabric swap and I received this awesome pleather material that since then, I've yet to use. So since I was in the geeky theme, I decided to use them as patches. It has only one back pocket. Like I said, from scraps. haha

And since I was already going through my fabric stash, I saw this knit fabric with snake skin print on it. I've had it for a while so I decided that I should finally do something with it. First look, I automatically thought of Miami Vice. You know, open-shirt baring chest, white pants, and Topsiders with no socks. So that's what I just did. I did a placket hoodie with 3/4 sleeves. I'm not so sure about the hood anymore, though. Also, I'm thinking of adding eyelets and a string weaving through the placket to add to the cheesiness of the concept.

Then, I found this other fabric that caught my attention because 1) It was black with this weird texture to it. & 2) It was knit that didn't roll at the edges. So, I had to do something. I decided an oversized cardigan would be nice. I've seen them as a starting trend for guys online somewhere, so I jumped on the bandwagon. The garment is asymmetrical and it has a draw string at the bottom.

Lastly, I tried doing one of those newsboy cap from, yet again, scraps from a jacket made out of scraps. If you're wondering why I'm always working with scraps, it's cause I go to this place downtown where they sell remnants per pound. So, instead of paying more money per yard, I'd rather rummage through better finds for hella cheaper! It's two bucks a pound too. Their "remnant's" aren't even that bad. They go from a few inches to a few yards. They even have 60" rolls.

Anyway, I tried doing this jacket the other night, and while I was sewing a collar detail, I snagged the fabric so I had to take it apart. And not owning a seam ripper, I use scissors and I got impatient and frustrated and started tearing the collar out, eventually tearing the whole thing altogether. So I saved the fabric 'cause I knew those newsboy caps were made out of twill.

I started free handing the pattern and with no knowledge of such construction, failed miserably. And since I was already failing, I decided to add those ear flaps.

Wow, this was a hefty post. Thanks for reading, though! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008 06:24:51 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mr.R
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008 07:24:39 PM »

Your work is great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tragiqcandy
I'm your new philosophy

Runs with scissors. In the dark.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008 07:45:06 PM »

Agreed! You definitely have your own awesome sense of style  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008 11:44:08 PM »

Great outfit! I was in the scrap swap and I can't believe the awesomeness that I recieved... It was the best thing that has happened to me (on craftster)! I really love the cardigan and shorts! Great work! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008 06:51:40 PM »

I LOVE the hat!

It is so cool that you work with remenants and still get such cool looking stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iggy.boy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008 08:21:32 PM »

It is so cool that you work with remenants and still get such cool looking stuff.

Hey, thanks! Smiley I find working with remnants much more liberating than a planned yardage. Not only do you get to be more creative, but the challenge itself to fit everything in such a limited amount of fabric is, I don't know, thrilling? I sound weird ... but yeah, it's much more freeing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fromsophia
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008 09:41:52 PM »

Yay for menswear I really want to start making clothes for guys but being a girl it makes things a little difficult I love the shorts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008 04:40:58 PM »

Hey, thanks! Smiley I find working with remnants much more liberating than a planned yardage. Not only do you get to be more creative, but the challenge itself to fit everything in such a limited amount of fabric is, I don't know, thrilling? I sound weird ... but yeah, it's much more freeing.

Not weird. Willing to see what can not be first seen? Yeah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008 04:51:37 PM »

How did I miss this the other day?  I love the shorts!  Yay for scraps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

iggy.boy
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008 05:54:13 PM »

Yay for menswear I really want to start making clothes for guys but being a girl it makes things a little difficult I love the shorts

You should go for it. I personally think that if you can do menswear, you can do any kind of wear. Start by having a guy to make it for? Or just make it for yourself. The good thing about making clothing for the opposite sex is that girls can pass for wearing them and even look cute in it. As for guys, not so much haha

Not weird. Willing to see what can not be first seen? Yeah.

That's a good way to put it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Trigger Review - Part 4 of 4
How to Build DSLR Ring-Flash part 1 of 2
How to Build a DSLR Ring-Flash part 2 of 2
How to Clean your Digital SLR sensor
How to Diffuse the Light From the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...