A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finishing chiffon edges  (Read 8554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gwenavyre
« on: October 04, 2008 02:19:50 PM »

I was wondering what people thought the best way to finish chiffon seams is.  I thought that I would need to get a serger, but after looking online it seems that the double zig-zag might be the way to go.  Any thoughts on either or how you would or do do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prisca712
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008 08:54:21 PM »

Maybe someone else can weigh in with respect to using a zigzag stitch, but for some weird reason I can never get it to look right  Undecided.  I've found that using a French seam gives really nice results.  Basically, you sew the seams WRONG sides together with a 3/8" seam allowance, trim them 1/8", then put the fabric RIGHT sides together and sew 1/4".  Here's a tutorial that breaks it down with pictures: http://stardustshoes.blogspot.com/2007/08/sewing-101-french-seam.html 

The result is a neat seam that totally encloses the raw edges, plus since chiffon's pretty light, it doesn't give tons of bulk.

As for hems, the technique that I've totally fallen in love with is something called a 'knife edge baby hem.'  In a nutshell, it involves taking a teensy fold, stitching as close to the fold as possible, clipping the remainder, folding again, and stitching.  The result is a super neat, super thin hem.  These two links from Pattern Review give some more detail (the second one has pictures - just click the little green camera by 'Web site/URL'):

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=339
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=1590

Hope that helps  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momokins
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008 10:53:57 AM »

My go-to book says narrow French seams. On long vertical seams, sew with a tiny zig zag. It also mentions fusible threading for the hem but I think above mentioned method sounds doable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, you can call me Momo. I'm a spoiled-brat-turned-DIYer and a recovering shopaholic Smiley.

I love OOAK items.
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008 09:42:18 PM »

Depends on where you are putting them:

1. French seams are great as they enclose and cover any seams - they are easy to do and is all straight stitching, so you don't need a serger.

2. Babylock - this is a nice finish to raw edges - it's a very small overlocking and most overlockers/sergers can either do it or be set up to do it.

3. Rolled hem - as it sounds, the hem is folded over and then again (usually very small hems). If you have a rolled hem foot then this is easy peasy.

My number one suggestion however is that you make sure that your machine is set up properly.

If you have the wrong needle, the fabric won't sew properly regardless of what you are doing - use a 9 or 11 (9 is preferable). Use the correct thread and make sure your machine is threaded properly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Cook Grilled Chicken
How to Make Chicken Nuggets
How to Make Organic Burgers
Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Shallot Raspberry Vinaigrette
Cooking With Chloe, Episode 3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...