A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New website to sell handmade goods - Shophandmade.com  (Read 17045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010 04:48:22 PM »

Well, I'm moving to Artfire now, mostly because I don't like Amazon Payments that much. I miss PayPal. I'd still recommend 1000Markets, though.

Update: Oops, 1000Markets got bought out by another outfit and it looks like they're into mass-produced stuff now. Oh well, looks like everyone's stuck with Etsy. I'm getting my own website set up again and every other site can go hang!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011 03:33:07 PM by CraftyChef » THIS ROCKS   Logged

localcolorist

Peace Crane, Origami Permanent Ornament

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010 01:31:58 PM »

I dream for a reputable and ethical website entrepreneur to open a site for artists and crafters. All the existing sites are missing one obvious marketing tool, mainstream advertising, in old fashioned magazines., ie  The New Yorker,  that's where the buyers are.  The existing sites all end up being a spinning wheel of sellers selling to sellers.

I just checked out handmade and here I am reading about their front page hi-jinks, I am doing my research. I had great hopes for 1000 Markets. FAIL. They refuse to advertise.

The only reason Etsy is the top place is they started first.
Last month Etsy expanded the treasury feature from 500-900 daily treasuries to 18,000, as of today un-expiring, you can make as many as you want and growing daily is mind boggling folly.  localcolorist on Etsy and 1000Markets
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlllapatra
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011 11:40:39 AM »

I have a store on Shophandmade and have had it for over a year with very little sales. But I just noticed that they are adding a lot of items to Google search and I recently had 2 sales.  My inventory is low there because I have another shop on another site, but I am going to increase my inventory.  I sell handmade barbie doll and Ken doll clothes and designer victorian hats, designer western hats for dolls and I will see if business increases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011 04:55:15 PM »

It's funny to read through my old posts and look at "my handbag thing" in perspective. It's a fond hobby, for sure, and I've dabbled in this and that for sales, but haven't been able to put my finger on quite the right setup for me. I just barely got through the Artfire setup when I realized I hate the tediousness of a typical listing on other people's sites. It just irks me that they're so demanding. No more - for me it's my website, Tumblr, and Facebook. Heh. Let's see if someone resurrects this thread next year so I can see my progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alishabu
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013 10:57:23 AM »

It's been awhile since this post has been commented on...how is everyone feeling about shophandmade.com now?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwistMySister
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013 10:10:40 PM »

I was intrigued to start selling on this or atleast looking at it, until I read that email, very sneaky! I dont want to do business with these people. Especially looking at some replies in this thread, makes it look like they were written by people who are working for shophandmade ......suspicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013 07:06:46 AM »

Wow, since 2011, and I'm still not selling handbags online. Problems: 1) I like to make different bags all the time on the fly with no pattern 2) Fabric hoarding 3) Photo taking tediousness. 4) The MN Dept of Revenue shook me down for money I don't even make. Yes, they can make an assumption - without proof - that you're "really" making x-dollars and you have to pay it! I didn't have time to fight 'em last time because I just started a new job, but since then, it's absolutely NO BIZ VENTURES in MN. Good riddance jerks, I'm moving to Wyoming in 2015.

*thanks for the rant space*

In the end, online selling requires more non-creative work than I have the time or inclination for. I like the creation end of things, and craft shows do the work of bringing people "into your store". I have other biz ventures that do work for me online, but crafts hasn't been one of them. I wanted it to work, but couldn't do the work. And that's what you have to assess with an objective eye, if at all possible, which for me took years to figure out. As an optimist, it took longer. Pessimism has its uses!

If the work could just leap from your brain directly to the internet, life would be so much easier. When are they going to invent that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cate Blanchett Is a Femme Fatale in Red Sequins
The Most Comfortable Flat Boots
5 Different Ways To Wear A Denim Shirt
5 Ways to Layer Winter Clothes Like a Pro
Taylor Swift Wears Crimson in Paris
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...