A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,852
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New website to sell handmade goods - Shophandmade.com  (Read 16050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lucinda879
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009 03:36:44 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but the navigation doesn't seem very user-friendly for browsing items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To The 9s

I make accessories, often using vintage components

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009 09:41:55 AM »

I have not sold a darn thing on it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SamJ
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009 03:05:43 AM »

i find the email response so funny ...... obviously someone needs to go back to his 'how to send an email' class ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://knitsamknit.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/SamJ

where do i get freezer paper from??? im in the UK so does it have another name??? please help me!!!!
ksew
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009 05:49:53 PM »

pretty funny they didn't remove the forward!!
so has ANYONE had any luck selling their items there??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009 06:53:31 AM »

Oh, that's wicked funny!

These guys have been trolling around Etsy for the past month. I was thinking about signing up, but now I can't trust them. I can't do business with people like that, it's just a taste of things to come.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImagineArt
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009 06:51:08 PM »

I just thought I'd jump in and say that I've had a store there since mid-October, and have had 180+ sales. I sell vintage ephemera and supplies for altered art. There doesn't seem to be tons of that kind of stuff on Shophandmade so I maybe have a little corner on the market.

The sales started slowly, just like they did in my Etsy store, but they are building nicely. I've even had a few repeat buyers, which is always nice.

I haven't had any problems with them, and any time I've had a question, it's been answered quickly. I like the place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shellyfrc
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009 07:09:36 PM »

I tried this site, just set up a store and put a couple of things in it to see what would happen. Store was easy enough to set up and is in fact free. They allow you to make "bids" to be a featured store or product in different categories. It seems that if you don't bid you don't get any ad time. I did not bid and could not even find my products when doing a very specific search. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a help section set up yet, I looked for one because their category set up was a bit confusing. I have not made up my mind on this one yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelly Cuthbertson
www.ornamentboutiqu e.com
rachel_1203
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010 12:21:50 PM »

So I am looking to start selling my handmade t-shirts online. I have been trying to decide if I should sell on ShopHandmade.com, Artfire.com or Etsy.com. These are the 3 I have narrowed it down too.

I was leaning strongly towards ShopHandmade.com because they are free and I think their site is kinda neat. But when I saw their Etsy.com comparison where they state  "ShopHandmade's customers are more affluent than those on Etsy."  and then they show a quantcast chart from 2008 I became a bit suspicious. Why would they still have a 2008 chart showing in 2010? So I decided to take a trip over to quantcast.com. Which actually is a neat little site that lets you see traffic from a variety of sites.

Come to find out Etsy gets millions of traffic monthly with 59% of visitors falling in an income range of $60,000 and above. ( according to http://www.quantcast.com/etsy.com )

Where as Shophandmade.com only gets thousands reaching a max of 58.8K on  2/18/2010 and only 47% of their traffic has an income of $60,000 or above. And for similar sites like theirs they have a higher than norm index of traffic in the less than $30,000 income range. (according to http://www.quantcast.com/shophandmade.com )

So now that I have done research on quantcast.com I don't consider ShopHandmade.com to be a trustworthy site, because they are currently as of today 4/18/2010 displaying inaccurate and misleading information about their competitors. It makes me wonder if they have something more to hide.

I just don't know. I am still undecided but at this rate Etsy.com is looking like the best choice for someone like me who is just starting to branch out online.

If you have or had shops on either or both sites please share your experience. Or if you know of another place please share that too.

Many thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010 04:52:34 AM »

I opened a shop at 1000Markets. It's one thing to have an audience of $60K+, but it's totally another for those people to part with their hard-earned dough, and unless you make things to appeal directly to that audience, it doesn't matter if you have 100% or 3% 60Kers. When I was younger and making between $20-30K - that's plenty of motivation to shop 'til I dropped. So $60K doesn't really impress me much.

What I don't like about Etsy is that they've become a big supply shop (well, and the fees, which are stupid considering they also take money off the top of your sale). Without their supplies vendors, they'd be floundering. I prefer the atmosphere at 1000 simply because you don't have to weed through a pile of suppliers to find an actual handmade thing to buy. Plus they don't distract buyers from the buying with a bunch of "community extras". That's partly why Etsy gets so much traffic. The non-buyers or the sellers just hang out there. They're not actually buying anything.

And with any online mall situation, there are ALWAYS those who are the top sellers. That's because they don't rely on the mall setup to do their marketing for them. Doesn't matter where your online store is, really - the marketeer gets the sales. (Note to self: get up off rear and do some marketing because your bags are piling up downstairs).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010 10:22:24 PM »

They sound pretty shady to me, especially w/that forwarded email. I think I'll stick to Etsy for now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Window Light as a Beauty Light
How to Utilize the Visual Power of Red
How to Understand the Visual Power of Graphic Simplicity
Comparing B&w and Color Versions of Same Image
How to Photograph a Feeling
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...