A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,497
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick 'n dirty vegan snacks?  (Read 3311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

olive_juice
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008 05:21:04 AM »

Hot sauce? I thought I had tried everything under the sun on my popcorn, but i definitely haven't tried that. My favorite is dark chocolate on plain buttered popcorn. mmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008 09:12:20 PM »

Hot sauce? I thought I had tried everything under the sun on my popcorn, but i definitely haven't tried that. My favorite is dark chocolate on plain buttered popcorn. mmm.

It started a long time ago. I love hot sauce on a lot of things, I eat it almost daily. Another hot sauced approved snack nachos! Brown up some vegan taco crumbles, add a can of pinto beans (water stuff from can to), let it bubble for about 5-8 minutes. Serve it over corn chips, add salsa and other fixin's.

The other night I made buckwheat chocolate chip pancakes for a snack. I have a sweet tooth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
JMLinWNY
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008 09:34:50 AM »

Last night I was looking for something to munch didn't know what I wanted.
Ended up with diced celery, shredded carrot & chick peas with Franks Red Hot Sauce & Nutritonal yeast, was surprisingly good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
franzilovescats
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008 07:37:47 AM »

taco soup? that sounds amazing. do you have a recipe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashlinn.k

Scarf-Curse Survivor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008 07:46:40 AM »

toast (mine is gluten free but light rye is really good for this) or crackers with homemade pesto (with rice parmesan -yum!) and fresh tomato slices! mini tomatos work better for crackers and then it's like italian style nachos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008 06:46:09 PM »

taco soup? that sounds amazing. do you have a recipe?

Sort of. I'll see if i can type it up. It's delicious, and is pretty easy. Freezes well, if you like the texture of tofu after it has been frozen (which i adore!).

Oh, and darksidevegan, i saw this and thought of your recipe yesterday: It looks delish too!
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10/two-chickpea-salads.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
franzilovescats
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008 04:19:52 PM »

its cool if its a rough recipe.. thats usually how my soups go too :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008 05:32:48 PM »

Alright. I have some time now, so here goes. Usually it goes like this:
2 cans pinto beans
equivalent of 1 can black beans (i usually cook 'em myself just cause i can)
1  can ro-tel-medium to hot (that very hot stuff isn't lying! i couldn't eat that batch...)
1 can stewed tomatoes-diced
1/2 can tomato paste
1/2 container veggie broth
1 can hominy (you can use plain corn if you'd like, in which case it's about 1 or 2 ears)
block super firm tofu (i freeze mine first-i like the rough texture)-drained
1-2 onions-diced
1 packet taco seasoning (i wouldn't use the taco bell brand-it tastes like their taco sauce which is weird)
and i usually throw in a jalapeno or a tomato from the garden. My mom adds bell peppers, i just don't like them.

first, everything but the tofu, onions and the packet of taco seasoning go into a gumbo pot (or whatever it is everyone else calls it - a big soup pot). BUT be sure to drain the black beans if you are using 'em canned. Everything else can go in juice and all, but the black beans come out with weird black stuff. You can use it, the soup will just be ugly. If you use all dehydrated beans, be sure to add the other half of that container of veggie broth to counteract the missing liquid.

dice tofu into 1" blocks and sautee with the onions in a cast iron skillet. About halfway through cooking add around 1/2-3/4 the taco seasoning packet. Put the rest of the packet in the gumbo pot. You can straight up fry the tofu if you want. I think it tastes a little better that way, but it's pretty heavy on the calories.
If you do fry it, i sometimes "bread" the tofu by tossing it in the taco seasoning mixed with a small amount of breadcrumbs. Kind of fun, but definitely messy.

Once that's done, you just pop it into the pot with everything else and enjoy! It tastes best if you cook it for a couple of hours (my grandma turns it on at about 7 AM and we eat it when she gets back from church at noon), but we never seem to have the patience at my house.

This recipe came from my grandma, and you know southern grandmas know their stuff! I just veganized it which really wasn't hard.

I'll snap a picture next time i defrost a bowl! I have them frozen in individual freezer bags so i can just pop one in a bowl in the microwave or on the stove.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Drs. Rx: Castor Oil for Luscious Lashes
All-Natural At-Home Cosmetics
10 Foods You Need to Be Eating for Healthy Skin
How to Treat Dry Winter Skin
Allure Sample Society January Haul
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...