A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 307,988
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Irish Barmaid Help?  (Read 1553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

Crafting is in my blood! Just not in my geneology.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2008 01:01:24 PM »

So due to my new found love of Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, and the Tossers, i've decided to make an Irish themed costume.  Ive seen step dancer costumes like this, and barmaid costumes like this, and to me, the only difference seems to be ghillies or no ghillies. So I've decided to go for something kinda like this
http://www.malabar.net/rentalgal/St%20Patricks%20Day/Irish%20Barmaid.jpg
(Jessica Simpson style....my skirt would be longer!)
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/images/jessicasim_caulf_7010682_600.jpg
http://www.renstore.com/Articles/Trimming/Trim-13.jpg
ok, getting the idea?
I'm going to alter the Elizabethan corset pattern(from the pattern generator).  The problem is the shirt under the corset!  Is there any free pattern(coz im too poor to but the one on Burda Style) for this?
or could i take like an old guys collared shirt, chop it, and cinch everything up?
     Am i making any sense at all?  Sorry if I'm not.
Also, for the skirt, full circle, half circle, tiered, cute like the Jessica Simpson one?  I'm going for about knee length.

And also, what shoes?
sorry for the lengthy-ness.  Thanks so much, you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

Proud new owner of a Baby Lock 400!  Any advice for the newbie? PM
apocalypsegrrl
Technological Demi-Goddess

Eat Your Heart Out, Clint

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008 09:38:09 AM »

Try looking for ren faire or pirate- type ruffle shirts- they don't look too different from the pictures you have and you'll be more likely to find a generic free pattern online for those than for anything specifically irish.

As for the skirt, it depends- do you want something a little more traditional (in which I'd say go for a full or half skirt) or something more cute and sexy (then go for Simpson's skirt). I don't know where you live, but if it's likely to be cold on Halloween, you might also want to factor that in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find the hidden in the obvious.
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008 11:25:00 AM »

well, im thinking about a knee length...but style wise IDK.
Im hoping to find some cheap green tights that match the bodice to wear with it and either my black heel boots or my "Catholic school girl shoes"
someone gave me a like to a tute for the shirt, and they had an even better bodice tute!  so its just the skirt and the tights!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(To The Tune of "The Llama Song")Here's a needle, there's a needle, and some yarn between the needles, cast on, knit, purl, always knitting, knitty, knitty, purl.

itsamutiny
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008 01:37:40 AM »

i'm going to be a pirate this year so my costume is similar to yours, just different colors haha. i used a pattern on reddawn.net to make my shirt. the only changes i made were the sleeves were a LOT shorter (theirs are wrist length) and the chemise was a lot shorter (theirs was mid-calf length, and mine's mid-thigh length). the pattern was pretty easy to follow, i thought. for my costume, i made a circle skirt, and also i bought a petticoat from a halloween store. i really strongly suggest you buy/make a petticoat, it really completes the look! my costume wouldn't look half as good without the petticoat.

chemise pattern: http://reddawn.net/costume/chemise.htm
skirt pattern: http://www.whatthecraft.com/tuts/circ.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MinorPunk56
Jailbait Rock n' Roll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008 12:29:23 PM »

Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...