A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Three baby quilts...  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 03, 2008 05:58:01 AM »

Hi to all those on the forum. I've been lurking for a while, but decided I wanted to show you the quilts I had made. I moved to a new town with my husband about a year and a half ago, i was 14 weeks pregnant and very weak from severe morning sickness so to fill in the time while I waited for our new arrival I took up quilting.  It was something that I had always wanted to do, but given that I had only ever briefly used a sewing machine at school (over 10 years ago) I was at a bit of a disadvantage.  Thankfully the wonderful ladies at the local patchwork fabric store took me under their wing and passed on a bit of the skill and expertise.

Here is my first effort - the yellow teddy - It's a simple 9 patch and since we didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl so I kept the first one neutral:

My second quilt was a bit more adventurous and an attempt at applique. You could tell i had lots of time on my hands at this stage because there are lots of extra tiny details like each ladybird has a different number of spots (for learning to count in the future!) and each snail has and eye and pupil - not on the original pattern:

Both these quilts are used as play mats and have been machine washed successfully.  I always wanted to make quilts to be used not to be hidden away in a draw.

My third attempt was a babies lap quilt for car journeys and for the stroller. I'm really happy with this, but I'm  not sure how much use it will get since it turned out much prettier than expected. (apologies for the creases, I just took it to and from a trip back to the UK from Australia)

I have nearly finished my 4th quilt which is a double 9 patch - queen bed size in black and purple. So will post a picture of that once i have finished it.

I hope that you like the quilts.  Your completed projects have certainly given me ideas as to what to tackle next so I hope that mine will similarly inspire.

On a side note, I really want to sew a 'note' on the back of each quilt showing all the quilt details - can anyone show me a good way of doing this. I don't have access to an embroidery machine so thats not really an option.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010 09:37:03 PM by nilmerg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheratzapan
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 06:03:00 AM »

Wow, they must have taken you ages. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 06:32:52 AM »

Oh my gosh, beautiful!
All of them are absolutely lovely..........  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Taramor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 06:46:10 AM »

They are all so beautifully - I don't understand it's your first quilts! I specially loves the second one, such wonderfull colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KyTriplets
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 06:58:49 AM »

Those are just wonderful!
Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008 12:14:52 PM »

very beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecraftytrundler

Even angels sleep sometimes........

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008 12:11:22 PM »

Lovely design & great colours on the bug quilt! As for the pastel quilt, the embroidered panels really are a beautiful feature, and are a great idea for a sampler quilt. Soooooo
pretty. Grin
Have fun quilting  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...