A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art "glass" lampshade--out of Fruit Roll-ups and gummi candy!  (Read 28139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 03, 2008 04:55:52 AM »

As much fun as I had with the Dollar Store challenge and my crazy conceptual wedding gown, this time I wanted to make something I could actually use. This seemed to eliminate most clothing options (eccentric as my fashions may sometimes be, I didn't see myself getting much wear out of, say, a popcorn-string-fringed flapper dress). But I was looking for a new glass shade for the lamp in the living room. Ever since the old one had been broken some months ago, I had simply draped a scarf over the naked bulb, Bohemian fire-hazard-style.

So I went down to the Fred Meyer, where I bought:
1 jar of Pickles @ $2.00.
3 packages of Fruit Roll-Ups (2 "Blastin Berry Hot Colors" and 1 "Tropical Tie-Dye") @ $2.99 apiece
2 rolls of individually-wrapped "natural" fruit leather (Apricot and Green Apple) from the produce aisle @ $.44 apiece
About 1/3 lb of gummi candies from the Brach's bulk kiosk, $1.20

Total: $13.05

At home, I quickly decanted the pickles into other containers and soaked the label off the jar with hot soapy water. To my delight, I found the jar fit perfectly into the housing of the lamp.

I unrolled the fruit roll-ups (putting them in the freezer for a few minutes first, I found, helps keep them from sticking to themselves and tearing) and sprayed them all over with several coats of clear acrylic spray gloss. (Don't use Mod Podge for this; it just melts into a gooey mess.) I picked out the Orange and Green Apple gummi candies from the Brach's bag and did the same to them. Here they are drying in the sun:

The fruit roll-ups never got quite as stiff as I was expecting--it was more like working with sheets of wax. I used a peacock feather stained-glass pattern I found here http://chantalstainedglass.50megs.com/2peacocksuncatcher.html as a rough guide.

I cut out the pieces with scissors:

Then, using a generous amount of rubber cement, I glued the pieces one by one onto the pickle jar. The technique felt reminiscent of papier-mch. Rubber cement wasn't quite strong enough for the gummi candies though--those I had to reinforce with super glue.

When I was done, I let it dry, then sprayed the whole lampshade with several more coats of the acrylic gloss. Here it is, finally finished:
And a few close-up details:
It's hard to capture in a photo the richness and subtlety of the layered colors with the light shining through.

I'm really happy with how it turned out--so far no one who's come over has guessed that I made it, much less what it's made of. And best of all, my lamp is no longer pitifully naked in the corner.

Thanks for checking out my entry!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 05:04:02 AM by witwhitherwilt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 05:04:29 AM »

That is so cool! I wouldn't have thought of using a glass jar for a lampshade.

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 05:08:16 AM »

That is great!  Great use of imagination!  It is soooo colorful.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 05:10:29 AM »

this is so cute and fancy!  great job it really looks like stained glass!
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 05:13:57 AM »

This is beautiful! Love it!

Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008 05:29:50 AM »

This is fabulous.  What a clever use of foodstuffs.   Grin

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008 05:40:03 AM »

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008 06:00:01 AM »

I had simply draped a scarf over the naked bulb, Bohemian fire-hazard-style.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that.  Just thought you should know.

And I think that your idea is great.  The lampshade came out absolutely gorgeous!  Great job on making something both functional and beautiful.  This is *the* most random question, but I feel it must be asked:  when the jar heats up, do the fruit leathers smell nice?  The only reason I ask is because we used to smear a bit of vanilla extract or perfume on our light bulbs (probably not the safest thing to do, but hey) and when the lights were on, it would scent the room.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 06:54:03 AM »

Wow! So beautifultacular! There was an episode of Daria way back in the day when Jane was going to do something like that but her boyfriend ate all of her gummi bears.
When I saw that I hadn't imagined something this pretty.
The family that raves together, stays together...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008 07:18:03 AM »

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
R. Kayeen Thomas Performs a Rap Song from the Novel Antebellum
R. Kayeen Thomas Reveals His Novel Antebellum
David Gelernter on Mirror Worlds: Space, Time, and the Internet
Actor John Challis Recounts Being Boycie at Althorp Literary Festival
John Lanchester Talks About His Novel "Capital" at Althorp
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...