A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Art "glass" lampshade--out of Fruit Roll-ups and gummi candy!  (Read 25571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

witwhitherwilt
« on: October 03, 2008 04:55:52 AM »

As much fun as I had with the Dollar Store challenge and my crazy conceptual wedding gown, this time I wanted to make something I could actually use. This seemed to eliminate most clothing options (eccentric as my fashions may sometimes be, I didn't see myself getting much wear out of, say, a popcorn-string-fringed flapper dress). But I was looking for a new glass shade for the lamp in the living room. Ever since the old one had been broken some months ago, I had simply draped a scarf over the naked bulb, Bohemian fire-hazard-style.

So I went down to the Fred Meyer, where I bought:
1 jar of Pickles @ $2.00.
3 packages of Fruit Roll-Ups (2 "Blastin Berry Hot Colors" and 1 "Tropical Tie-Dye") @ $2.99 apiece
2 rolls of individually-wrapped "natural" fruit leather (Apricot and Green Apple) from the produce aisle @ $.44 apiece
About 1/3 lb of gummi candies from the Brach's bulk kiosk, $1.20

Total: $13.05

At home, I quickly decanted the pickles into other containers and soaked the label off the jar with hot soapy water. To my delight, I found the jar fit perfectly into the housing of the lamp.

I unrolled the fruit roll-ups (putting them in the freezer for a few minutes first, I found, helps keep them from sticking to themselves and tearing) and sprayed them all over with several coats of clear acrylic spray gloss. (Don't use Mod Podge for this; it just melts into a gooey mess.) I picked out the Orange and Green Apple gummi candies from the Brach's bag and did the same to them. Here they are drying in the sun:

The fruit roll-ups never got quite as stiff as I was expecting--it was more like working with sheets of wax. I used a peacock feather stained-glass pattern I found here http://chantalstainedglass.50megs.com/2peacocksuncatcher.html as a rough guide.

I cut out the pieces with scissors:

Then, using a generous amount of rubber cement, I glued the pieces one by one onto the pickle jar. The technique felt reminiscent of papier-mch. Rubber cement wasn't quite strong enough for the gummi candies though--those I had to reinforce with super glue.

When I was done, I let it dry, then sprayed the whole lampshade with several more coats of the acrylic gloss. Here it is, finally finished:
And a few close-up details:
It's hard to capture in a photo the richness and subtlety of the layered colors with the light shining through.

I'm really happy with how it turned out--so far no one who's come over has guessed that I made it, much less what it's made of. And best of all, my lamp is no longer pitifully naked in the corner.

Thanks for checking out my entry!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 05:04:02 AM by witwhitherwilt » THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 05:04:29 AM »

That is so cool! I wouldn't have thought of using a glass jar for a lampshade.

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 05:08:16 AM »

That is great!  Great use of imagination!  It is soooo colorful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

turtlelove
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 05:10:29 AM »

this is so cute and fancy!  great job it really looks like stained glass!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 05:13:57 AM »

This is beautiful! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008 05:29:50 AM »

This is fabulous.  What a clever use of foodstuffs.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Len
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008 05:40:03 AM »

beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008 06:00:01 AM »

I had simply draped a scarf over the naked bulb, Bohemian fire-hazard-style.

I literally laughed out loud when I read that.  Just thought you should know.

And I think that your idea is great.  The lampshade came out absolutely gorgeous!  Great job on making something both functional and beautiful.  This is *the* most random question, but I feel it must be asked:  when the jar heats up, do the fruit leathers smell nice?  The only reason I ask is because we used to smear a bit of vanilla extract or perfume on our light bulbs (probably not the safest thing to do, but hey) and when the lights were on, it would scent the room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookelynne
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 06:54:03 AM »

Wow! So beautifultacular! There was an episode of Daria way back in the day when Jane was going to do something like that but her boyfriend ate all of her gummi bears.
When I saw that I hadn't imagined something this pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamlessgem
The family that raves together, stays together...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008 07:18:03 AM »

fantastic
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Crush on Velvet
3 Leather Looks That Are Super-Sleek and Super-Chic
3 Ways to Wear a Camo Shirt
How to Dress for Extreme Heat
3 Creative Outfits for Summer Weddings
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...