A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wallace and gromit shaun the sheep fleece plushie-WITH GIANT, PIC-FILLED TUTE!  (Read 13048 times)
Tags for this thread: stuffed_animal , stuffie , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweetbunnabunny
« on: October 02, 2008 11:38:56 PM »

****EDIT:  TUTORIAL NOW AT BOTTOM OF PAGE!!!*****

Hi!

This is the first stuffed animal I've made.  I had black and white fleece, so I decided to make a sheep in the same style as Shaun from Wallace and Gromit.  I didn't have a pattern so I made it up as I went along - it took a LOT of trial and error!  I took pictures of the entire process, so if people are interested I can make a tutorial using all the photos.  Granted, I'm sure there's an easier way of doing this than the amateur way I went about it!  Any comments are welcome and appreciated!  In the pics he's a little linty from thread pieces, etc. clinging to the fleece.

Thanks for looking!

Bunny
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 06:20:51 PM by sweetbunnabunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zanthess
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 11:40:57 PM »

Oooh, that looks totally snorgleable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happipotter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 12:38:35 AM »

Please do share how you made him. He's just too cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lbbshell
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 12:40:56 AM »

Not only is he freaking adorable, but hes definitely true to life. 
p.s., where did you get that fantastic globe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ceda

Living in the land of (nearly) eternal sunshine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 12:45:37 AM »

Awww! He's so cute! You did such an awesome job on him. A tutorial would be great to see! I wouldn't mind having a little Shaun to call my own. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreambelle
Beta Sigma Phi

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008 02:22:59 AM »

I saw the little picture on the front page and said to myself "Hey! That looks like Shaun the Sheep!". He's so adorable! I've never seen Wallace and Gromit and didn't realize Shaun the Sheep was in it. When I'm watching tv (yes, I watch Disney Channel even though I don't have kids) sometimes between shows there is a five minute episode of Shaun the Sheep on.

Now I have the theme song in my head.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetbunnabunny
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008 05:25:39 AM »

This is my first tutorial for my first stuffie, so please bear with me!

You will need:

black thread
white tread
stuffing
black and white fleece cut as follows:

(4) 3" x 6" pieces of black fleece for the legs

(4) 1.75" x 2" oval pieces of black fleece for bottoms of feet

(4) 1.5" x 5" x 3" rainbow shaped pieces of black fleece for feet (refer to pics and explanation below supply list for info on making these)

(2) 5.5" x 6" oval pieces of white fleece for the body

(2) oval pieces of black fleece 4.5" long x 3.75" wide at widest point x 2" at narrowest point (refer to pics, just make an oval that's slightly fatter on the bottom for a cute fat nose) for the head

(2) .75" circlular pieces of white felt for the eyes

(2) 6/16" circular pieces of black felt for the pupils

(5) 3" long x 2" wide at widest x 1" wide at narrowest for ears, (4) in black fleece and (2) in white fleece for the tail (refer to pics, just make your best ear shape, it doesn't have to be exactly my measurements)

To make the pattern for the rainbow shapes:
1. measure a 5" x 2" rectangle on paper, cut it out and fold it in half lengthwise, making a crease
2. unfold and measure 1.5" from either side of the crease, marking either end

3. draw a straight line down from both of your 1.5" markers, now you have a 5" long paper rectangle with a 3" long rectangle drawn in the middle

4. hold your ruler with the end at one of the corners of the 3" rectangle you drew.  rotate the ruler until the 1.5" marker on the ruler lines up with the edge of the paper, then draw a line along this angle.  do this on both sides.  these are the ends of your rainbow shape.

5. draw in the curves between the two ends you just defined, making sure the shape stays 1.5" wide throughout.

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_______________________________________________________________')
Good job cutting! Now let's make a sheep, already!

First we make the legs and feet:

1) Pin a rainbow shaped foot piece to a rectangular leg piece with "right" sides together and sew across

the "right" side should look like this:

2) Pin an oval foot bottom to a rainbow foot piece with right sides together and sew the bottom of the rainbow shaped piece all along the outside of the oval

you should end up with a nice little foot starting to show

3) Pin the open edges of the foot and leg right sides together and sew all the way up the leg

4) Congratulations, you have a leg!  Now turn it right side out, stuff it, sew up the top and set it aside.  Repeat with the other 3 legs.

Next we work the body!

Attach legs to one of the white oval body pieces.

FRONT LEGS:

1) Take one of the white oval body pieces and cut a couple of "X"s for the front legs.  Make sure they are evenly spaced from the middle widthwise, a little bit to one end lenghtwise, and just large enough to fit the legs inside.

2)  Push two of the legs into the holes, pushing in from the right side of the fabric so that the corners of the "X" cuts push onto the wrong side of the fabric.  Pin these corners down to the top of the legs and sew the white fabric to the legs on either side.  Make sure the seams up the back of the legs face backward (the side of the white oval the legs are furthest away from).  Set aside.

BACK LEGS
1) Take the other white oval body piece and pin the two remaining legs onto one end of the second white body piece, making sure the legs are spaced equally from the center and the leg seams are placed against the right side of the white fabric.  Sew across.

From the right side, it should look like this:

From the wrong side, it should look like this:

Now we put the body together!

1) Grab your back legs body piece and lay the back legs down across the wrong side of the body piece.  Grab your front legs body piece and lay it wrong side up, with the legs facing toward the shorter end of your body piece (the top of the oval), like this:

2) Put the front legs piece on top of the back legs piece, like this:

3) Leaving the area where all the legs are sticking out untouched (you'll need room to turn him right side out), pin and then sew around the rest of the body, sewing the white pieces together.
One side will look like this:

The other side will look like this:

When you turn it right side out, you should have this:

Turn him back inside out and let's do the tail!

1) cut an x-shaped hole into the sheep's back, where you want the tail to go.
2) sew one of the tail pieces onto one side of this hole, with right sides together

sew the other tail piece onto the other side of the hole the same way
3) Pin the tail pieces right sides together and sew around them

4) Turn him right side out and push the tail right side out, and it should look like this:

5) Stuff the body till he's nice and fluffy and then sew the remaining opening closed.

Now for the head!

1) Sew the whites of the eyes onto one of the head pieces, then the pupils onto the whites

(ignore the ruler in this pic, I changed the size of his eyes later to the measurements given above)

2) Put the two head pieces right sides together, sandwiching the eyes between the two pieces.  Determine where you'll put your ears (you want them pretty much lined up with the eyes.  Cut a couple of notches into the head where you want the ears to be.  This will make the top of the head more separate from the snout.  See the notches in this pic:

Sew around the head, leaving the holes where the ears will be and a hole at the bottom for when you turn the head right side out

3) Attach the ear pieces to the ear holes you left in the head the same way you attached the tail pieces - with right sides together, doing one piece at a time.

4) Same as you did with the tail pieces, sew around the outside of the ear pieces, right sides together.  Turn the head right side out and push the ears through.

ALMOST DONE!

5) Pinch the backs of his ears together to make a little ear fold in the front

Sew a line down the pinch in the back so the fold will stay put

6) Fill the head with stuffing till he reaches desired level of cuteness, then sew up the remaining opening.

7) Hand sew the back of the head onto the body, letting the nose overlap the chest.

YOU'RE DONE!!!  AND YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB!!

Thanks for reading my tutorial, feedback is super welcome!!  I'd love to see pics of your Shauns!

-Bunny

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008 07:33:38 PM by sweetbunnabunny » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetbunnabunny
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008 05:32:57 AM »

Awww! He's so cute! You did such an awesome job on him. A tutorial would be great to see! I wouldn't mind having a little Shaun to call my own. ^_^

Thanks for your comments!  I now have a giant, pic-filled tutorial so I hope you try it and post pics of your Shauns!

Oooh, that looks totally snorgleable.

Haha, thanks!

Not only is he freaking adorable, but hes definitely true to life. 
p.s., where did you get that fantastic globe?

Thank you!  I got the globe at Target when they were having a 75% off sale in their Global Bazaar section last Thanksgiving.  I LOVE Target!

I saw the little picture on the front page and said to myself "Hey! That looks like Shaun the Sheep!". He's so adorable! I've never seen Wallace and Gromit and didn't realize Shaun the Sheep was in it. When I'm watching tv (yes, I watch Disney Channel even though I don't have kids) sometimes between shows there is a five minute episode of Shaun the Sheep on.

Now I have the theme song in my head.

Thanks!  I didn't know Shaun had his own show!

-Bunny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetbunnabunny
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 05:34:25 AM »

Please do share how you made him. He's just too cute

Please do try the tutorial, I'd love to see other people make some Shauns!

-Bunny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goatgoddess
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008 09:28:14 AM »

OMG - how cute and a tute too! very cool!
love your Shaun - too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Just Winging It
Jenette Kahn - First Female Comic Book Executive
A Mother To So Many
Follow Your Passion
Our Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...