A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cut slashed rib effect shirt?  (Read 1342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2008 09:21:13 PM »

how does one do this? tut please??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funtobewith
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 09:32:02 PM »

There's a book out there... tranforming your T or some such title, with literally 100s of ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008 09:37:07 PM »

i have that book, infact i did the project perfectly, and i loved it...what i realy wants it something like this

THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 09:37:35 PM »

So easy. I don't know how to explain it better than looking at the picture.

Mark a strip down the center. don't cut all the way to the top or bottom. Then cut out sections from there, wide or narrow as you want. Now you have a bunch of little fingers from the sides of the tee shirt facing toward the back of the tee shirt. Attach them. Throw a couple stiches in there. A finer single knit tee shirt will work best for this so that it curls onto itself like that. You want something that will stretch out a bit.

Here's the world's worst and quickest (like 2 mins) paint drawing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 09:39:10 PM »

That second top has got a braiding type thing going on.. Like lacing shoes.. the strips are going back and forth across the back if you look at the way they're twisting. Just stare at it long enough and you'll get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008 10:56:10 PM »

Here you go....something like this?

Obviously you need a tighter fitting t shirt but the process is the same.  I'll try to explain, but if you need to I can do a quick tut.

Cut 1/2 inch wide strips down the shirt.  If you wanted it the same as in the picture, you would start with the back neckline.  I used a rotary cutter, quilting ruler and mat to make measuring and cutting easier.  Use an even number of strips.

Here's the weaving bit.  I will number the strips to hopefully make it easier:

Take strip 2 and take it under then over strip 1.  Use your fingers to move the 'vertical strip' that will form to where you want it.

Then take strip 3 and take it under then over strip 2.  Again, use your fingers to move the 'vertical strip'.

Repeat until all strips are used.

Repeat this process again from the top to give you the second vertical 'strip'.  Then you need to secure the final strip to the base of the shirt.  You can see where this is in the second picture where I have simply pinned it.

If this is as clear as mud, I'll try and do a quick tut so you can see the process.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008 05:25:23 AM »

I'm amazed...these look sooo cool!

Question: could you slash the back selectively?

You know, leaving a horizontal bar of un-slashed T-shirt, so that those of us who aren't very comfortable going out in public unsupported by back-strapped undergarments could also have a really pretty shirt?

I like my t-shirts a little looser than the current fashion...but to have an airy, pretty-backed looser t-shirt would really be cool.

Those of you who've done this before: could it be done, and would it just look stupid unless it was pulled fairly tight across the back?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
bezoona
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008 11:40:16 AM »

Oh wow that is really well done! Awesome job on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 12:45:30 PM »

Question: could you slash the back selectively?

You know, leaving a horizontal bar of un-slashed T-shirt, so that those of us who aren't very comfortable going out in public unsupported by back-strapped undergarments could also have a really pretty shirt?

I like my t-shirts a little looser than the current fashion...but to have an airy, pretty-backed looser t-shirt would really be cool.

Those of you who've done this before: could it be done, and would it just look stupid unless it was pulled fairly tight across the back?

Thanks!

I guess you could start at the neckline and finish just above your bra strap.  With the bottom section that looks a little sloppy, you could sew that bottom section of the t shirt to the bottom bar of the weaving design so that will take up the slack of the bottom section of the shirt.

The shirt that I've done is my 7yo with my 9yo modelling (boys too!!!  They were kinda impressed when I put it on my 9yo).  The t shirt is fairly loose so it would give you a bit of an idea of what it would look like not so tight fitting.  Just keep in mind that the design pulls the shirt in slightly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008 02:54:35 PM »

Queenofdiy...thanks .  I appreciate your explanation, but see maybe it's a design best left for the svelte! I guess maybe if I learn to do this it will need to be for my petite daughter or friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Do megapixels really matter on digital cameras?
How to Photograph Running Water
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...