A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Pies (first attempt with clay)  (Read 1841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IllusionsOfNormal

Some pursue happiness, others CREATE it!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 02, 2008 07:36:18 PM »

Here are my very first attempts at crafting with polymer clay.  I am actually quite proud of how they turned out, but PLEASE if you have any ideas or suggestions, fire away!  I am always open for ways to make my crafting better.

I will admit that I can be a little OCD, evidenced by me knowing that there are 76 blueberries in this pie.

And...

There are 64 cherries in this pie, underneath the lattice top that I carefully wove to cover the tiny cherry goodness.

My DH came in just before I stuck them in the oven & he looked at me with wide eyes & said, "You mean those are real pies that you have to bake & everything?!?!"
He's not usually so blonde...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

my wists:  www.wists.com/IllusionsOfNormal
CloudxxSeph
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 08:11:32 PM »

are those bottlecap pie tins?!?!?! Cheesy
they're really cute <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HardLuckGal
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008 08:23:53 PM »

those are freaking adorable! i love that you used a bottle cap for the tin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 09:05:54 PM »

those are freaking adorable! i love that you used a bottle cap for the tin.

I was about to say the same thing. It took me a while to figure it out though... at first was jealous of your pie pan and about to ask where you got it. Smiley

The best advice I've ever gotten about making foods is to use a lot of transluscent.  Makes it looked more cooked. 

Also you can use non-oil based pastels to brush on hints of color, like for a browned crust or something.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ledleeaf
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 11:43:08 PM »

so tiny and adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GeekToys
Crafty Geek

I like to make stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008 03:38:05 AM »

What an awesome idea with the caps! Very nice work, they are really adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IllusionsOfNormal

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008 04:38:37 AM »

The best advice I've ever gotten about making foods is to use a lot of transluscent.  Makes it looked more cooked. 

Also you can use non-oil based pastels to brush on hints of color, like for a browned crust or something.  

Thanks for the pointers!  I got a block of transluscent, but I haven't played with it enough to figure out what it's really supposed to do for me.  I was going to attempt to make some simple canes this weekend to play with color & now I guess I'll try a few simple objects mixing with different porportions of transluscent too. 

I was too happy with the outcome to risk screwing it up with paint.  Now that I have the "firsts" out of the way, I will definitely take a few more risks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IllusionsOfNormal

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008 04:41:34 AM »

What an awesome idea with the caps!

I wish I could take the credit, but I saw someone else post on Craftster awhile back who had used bottlecap pie pans.  I knew back then that a pie in a bottlecap would be my first project when I finally got around to buying clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008 11:25:41 AM »

Very nice little pies!!  (and being OC when doing polymer clay can be a very Good thing!).

translucent clay . . .I haven't played with it enough to figure out what it's really supposed to do for me. 

Well, translucent clays (and clays mixed with translucent) can do various things. 

They can add a bit of visual depth and complexity to opaque clays so that they look less "cartoony" for skin/etc (sculpted or caned).
They give a more life-like "organic" quality to other natural materials made as fauxs with polymer clay (stone, wood, rock, jade, ivory, etc, etc).
They're also the clay of choice when using "inclusions" (herbs, spices, pigments, glitters, etc.) so that those things will actually show up down "into" the clay, not just a little bit on the very surface.

Some clay colors and brands already have some amount of translucent in them though, from regular colors one might not expect like a yellow or dark blue, to mica-containing clays like gold/silver/copper/Pearl/etc, as well as SuperSculpey and even glow-in-the-dark clays, etc. 

Translucents (alone or lightly tinted) can also do special effects like "floating canes." A floating cane is made from translucent sections and more-opaque sections.  When the cane is sliced very thin and those slices are applied and rolled into/onto other clay, the translucent parts will "disappear" after baking and leave the opaque parts visible so they appear to float over the background clay underneath.
And translucents are often used when making stacks of clay colors for the "mokume gane" technique.

Very thin sheets of translucent clay can also be used as a "sealers" over various things, though that isn't done as often as it was before liquid polymer clay became available.

Btw, using a gloss sealer over baked translucent clays, or or sanding then buffing them to a sheen or gloss, is usually done to bring out even more depth than just leaving translucents with their natural matte baked surface --they "polish" up very well!

If you want to read a lot more about translucent clays and using them, check out this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/translucents-glow.htm
...And there's a bit more about using translucents in this previous Craftster post:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=234791

I was too happy with the outcome to risk screwing it up with paint.

If you wanted to use an acrylic paint to "antique" or "highlight" your crust areas, you could just audition the effect by putting it on the way you want, then rinsing all the paint off before it dries if you don't like it (acrylics will even come off a little longer than that, if you use a brush).
If you'd used artists' oil paint, you'd have to use an oil paint solvent to get those off but oil paints take a long time to dry and won't soak in much till they do so.
(more on highlighting and antiquing as well as paints used with clay, on this page, if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/paints.htm
...click on Antiquing and/or on Acrylics or Oils)

Also, you might want to check out other ways of "browning" polymer clay crusts (and breads) too to make them look more dimensional/realistic on the Miniatures page of my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/miniatures.htm
(...look under the category Breads since that's where "browned" effects mostly are, and under Pies
... and there's also info on making runny fruit stuff there as well if you want to add that to a pie, under Frostings, Icings, Jellies, etc.)
There's more on polymer pies on this page too:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/houses_structures_gingerbread.htm
(...click on Cookies, Pies, Cakes...)

HTH, and have fun!!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008 08:32:35 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
rynimari
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008 01:54:09 PM »

so cute!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY: http://lolomari.etsy.com/
BLOG: http://lolomari.wordpress.com/
WIST: http://wists.com/lolomari/
Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody. Not no how.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whitney Holcombe on Writing About Her Weight Loss
Elizabeth Winthrop: What Are You Reading?
CoolAger of the Year Awards
Adam Goldman: What Are You Reading?
Lisa Unger: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...