A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Talk to me about cones of yarn  (Read 754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Snyderwagon
« on: October 02, 2008 07:18:10 PM »

So I like to crochet sweaters; I look on ebay often for lots of yarn on the cheap b/c we all know that 10-12 skeins of nice, non Red-Heart yarn can get pricey!!

So I see cones of yarn a lot ... is this meant for crochet/knitting? I've assumed it's more for weaving?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lbbshell
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 10:28:50 PM »

Okay, so as far as cones of yarn go, they're a byproduct of the 70's.  They tend to be a thinner more harsh yarn, but pretty much all my favorite sweaters my mommy made for me were made from coned yarn.  It's bulk yarn, its very consistent, and its fairly easy to work with, mostly because it is a product of factory.  I recommend it as far as durable sweaters, it goes a treat for cable needle knitting, but I don't know about crocheting.  Hope that helps 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samistrange
Being surly is my superpower.

Yeah yeah, blah-dey blah blah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 05:25:26 AM »

They're generally meant for weaving, but you can find them in just about any fiber type and use them however you'd like. They're usually a pretty good deal. One word of caution about using a WW cotton...your sweater will stretch like the dickens.

I can't believe I just used the word 'dickens' in a sentence...I'm getting so old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://gaugebeforebeauty.blogster.com/

Of course tattoos hurt...they're applied with needles, not kitten whiskers and bunny tails.
CatieD
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 02:39:53 PM »

Cones are also popular with machine knitters (me Cheesy).  Quality can vary, of course - the cones I buy are 100% wool and absolutely wonderful to work with.

The upside - you won't have many ends to weave in when you finish.

The downside - it's rather difficult to take a cone with you if you want to knit or crochet while you're out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
Cabin Fever
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008 12:46:48 PM »

I ordered some cones last year for an afghan I was going to crochet, like you said, it is a whole lot cheaper.  I was leary at first, but I would do it again. Plus I got a freebie of yarn that I fell in love with!  Same draw back, it is bulky and won't fit in your goodie bag when traveling. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftwhiz
Absent-Minded Perfectionist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008 03:02:01 PM »

I have a 1 lb. cone of white cotton yarn by Peaches & Creme. 
The quality doesn't seem any different than my other 100% cotton yarns.
I use it interchangeably with Sugar 'n Cream yarn. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas, so little time!
Snyderwagon
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008 07:10:33 PM »

Cool, thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aehathor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008 09:14:44 AM »

I have purchased approximately 120 pounds of yarns on cones and it was so cost-worthy. My husband built me a unit where the yarn is wound into balls and I can control the tension. I bought all different types of yarn - thick, thin, chenille, mohair, cotton, etc., and I really enjoy it.

This past weekend I wound up some worsted weight yarn and some alpaca and chenille to make a Halloween costume for my daughter.

I feel that in the end it is a cost effective way to purchase yarns if you are going to use a heck of a lot, or resell it. I also realize that I am lucky my husband is handy enough to build me a stand where I can do things like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt; don't.
marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008 05:17:51 PM »

I have purchased approximately 120 pounds of yarns on cones and it was so cost-worthy. My husband built me a unit where the yarn is wound into balls and I can control the tension. I bought all different types of yarn - thick, thin, chenille, mohair, cotton, etc., and I really enjoy it.

This past weekend I wound up some worsted weight yarn and some alpaca and chenille to make a Halloween costume for my daughter.

I feel that in the end it is a cost effective way to purchase yarns if you are going to use a heck of a lot, or resell it. I also realize that I am lucky my husband is handy enough to build me a stand where I can do things like that!

do you mind posting a picture of this machine/stand your husband built? you've got my interest, i just cant picture it lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Will swap for Dinosaurs*
aehathor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008 10:21:24 AM »

Okey-dokey! Here is the stand my hubby made for me. On it at the moment is 1250 wpi chenille. It is not the prettiest thing, but it works great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/aehathor/conestand.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt; don't.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Kool Aid Lip Stain
Tips From Celebs On Aging Gracefully
How To Highlight And Contour With Creams And Powders
Best Of Oily Skin And Summer Hair Trends
How To Break Up With Someone - Sexy Times With Gurl
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...