A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fairly easy fair isle woohoo my first sweater!  (Read 4049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gollygeeitsamy
« on: October 02, 2008 03:16:00 PM »

Okay so the moment I got Stitch N Bitch Nation I knew I HAD to make the Fairly Easy Fair Isle.
And it was cold enough to today to wear it out. I got LOTS LOTS LOTS of compliments and my friend even told my professor that I knitted it and I had to stand up and show the whole class (that was a bit embarrassing).
I used worsted weight yarn but doubled the strands to meet the gauge.
Yarn Used: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Espresso - around 8-10 skeins (i bought 10)
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Olive
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Dusty Green
Bernat Satin Banana (LOVE THIS its so soft)
So I'm on a college students budget so I opted for just regular yarn and I didn't like any of the bulky yarn at Micheal's so I just went with the worsted weight. I think it came out fairly well.  This took me about 4 weeks on and off knitting. I had a few problems with the sleeves but I definitely learned a lot.
What I learned:
1-YES I can knit a sweater
2-Yes I can knit in fair isle
3-My binding off needs to be looser
4-I need to work on seaming
On to the pictures!!
(sorry my mirror is dirty)

haha my sweater matches my shower curtain.
and I think I'm going to change those buttons.
What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
claireasaurus
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 03:32:52 PM »

oooooh I need to make this!
I think wooden buttons would be cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ignitetheairwaves
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008 03:40:09 PM »

Oh my gosh!
Okay this is kind of strange, but I just logged on to craftster and I saw your picture in the newest project section thing. So I clicked on it, and I realized I recognized you and your sweater (which is awesome by the way) I'm pretty sure you're in my Family Development class at AppState?
hah
This is crazy!
But I really love your sweater, I'm working on my first sweater right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The butter on my roll and the sugar in my soul

http://www.etsy.com/shop/1andtwenty
http://1andtwenty.blogspot.com/
Elle the crafter teen
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 05:11:42 PM »

I've been thinking about making this sweater as my first sweater!  Did you like to make it? Was it easy? How fast did you knit it? *sorry. very curious*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know me! I'm that musical loving, Wicked obsessed, knitting, aspiring crafter girl with that weird user name!
gollygeeitsamy
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 07:56:00 AM »

Oh my gosh!
Okay this is kind of strange, but I just logged on to craftster and I saw your picture in the newest project section thing. So I clicked on it, and I realized I recognized you and your sweater (which is awesome by the way) I'm pretty sure you're in my Family Development class at AppState?
hah
This is crazy!
But I really love your sweater, I'm working on my first sweater right now!
well if you are in ms. carpenters tues/thurs class at 12:30 then we definitely are in the same class. i even knitted some of this sweater in that class. its a small world, haha!! woohoo for first sweaters and appstate!!
I've been thinking about making this sweater as my first sweater!  Did you like to make it? Was it easy? How fast did you knit it? *sorry. very curious*
this would be a great sweater as a first sweater. i had a really great time making it since i fell in love with it. i had an easy time making it and i knitted it for about 3-4 weeks with on and off knitting, its a pretty quick knit. definitely do this project you'll love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnieBowser
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008 04:25:09 PM »

I really like the colour combo you used!
Fairly Easy Fairisle was the first sweater I knit, too, & I found it to be pretty fun.
I think yours turned out better than mine, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allnaturalpam
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008 08:01:14 AM »

Okay so the moment I got Stitch N Bitch Nation I knew I HAD to make the Fairly Easy Fair Isle.
And it was cold enough to today to wear it out. I got LOTS LOTS LOTS of compliments and my friend even told my professor that I knitted it and I had to stand up and show the whole class (that was a bit embarrassing).
I used worsted weight yarn but doubled the strands to meet the gauge.
Yarn Used: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Espresso - around 8-10 skeins (i bought 10)
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Olive
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Dusty Green
Bernat Satin Banana (LOVE THIS its so soft)
So I'm on a college students budget so I opted for just regular yarn and I didn't like any of the bulky yarn at Micheal's so I just went with the worsted weight. I think it came out fairly well.  This took me about 4 weeks on and off knitting. I had a few problems with the sleeves but I definitely learned a lot.
What I learned:
1-YES I can knit a sweater
2-Yes I can knit in fair isle
3-My binding off needs to be looser
4-I need to work on seaming
On to the pictures!!
(sorry my mirror is dirty)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/loola/10-2-08019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/loola/10-2-08009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/loola/10-2-08018.jpg
haha my sweater matches my shower curtain.
and I think I'm going to change those buttons.
What do you think?

very pretty! i'm still debating which sweater to start with as a first, but I may try this one. love it!
~pam
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008 08:08:47 AM by kategirl - Reason: Please remove the [img] tag when quoting pictures. Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

coreisten
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008 10:11:26 PM »

it's so cute! I need to make this, but I can't find any yarn I like! I may follow your lead and just double up on worsted weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creeps bleach

Scanned straight from the yearbook

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008 05:58:04 AM »

Totally cute!

The bit of green in the sweater brings out your pretty green eyes

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fleur De Lis
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009 02:00:53 PM »

Wow! I really love this in these colours too - good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Summ3r
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009 09:20:21 AM »

its cute and you did a great job for this to be your first sweater.... maybe you should redo the buttons...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting makes my world go round...

SuMm3R
lemarsupial
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009 08:32:52 AM »

[Oh my gosh!
hah
This is crazy!
But I really love your sweater, I'm working on my first sweater right now!]

no way no way no way!!!!! I know i'm in kinda late on this thread, but i was definitely just surfing around looking for knitting blogs, found craftster, and happened upon yours. I'm at appstate too! and while i have yet to begin a sweater (yikes!) i knit wool socks for  afghans4Afghans, and I'm in the knitting club. Are either of you two in it? and that's darn crazy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Leaves Part 1/6
How to Crochet Borders Around a Corner
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 9/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 8/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 6/13
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...