A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I plan to survive this winter - visibility quarter sheet and breast plate  (Read 5257 times)
Tags for this thread: horse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imrahil
« on: October 02, 2008 01:30:30 PM »

Swedish winters are long and dark, so I made some safety stuff for my horse.
I bought a bunch of cheap reflective vests and cut them up. Much cheaper than buying the reflective tape from the fabric store, and it saved me a lot of hemming and stripe adding.

I wanted a quarter sheet that fit my western saddle, because most are too narrow in the front to fit the back of my saddle, and have the straps in the wrong places. I killed three vests to make it so it cost me about 90 SEK (about 15 US dollars) instead of 300 for a store bought sheet. It was a lot of fun to make! If anyone's interested I'll make a tutorial for you. The only things I bought for it except for the vests were two d-rings and some white thread. The vest fabric was so easy to work with! No fraying, and just a little bit stretchy.

It attaches to the saddle with ties, mostly because I was too cheap to buy real straps. It has a tail piece to make sure it's visible from behind. I still need to decide how to attach it to the fenders though.. now I just wrap it around them a couple of times, but I think the final version will include the velcro from the vests. I put my horse's name on one side and added the diagonal stripes after I put the sheet together. I also added an extra stripe on the tail piece.

Smokie modelling. Lights on!

Lights off! Visibility is no longer an issue Grin

Store bought reflective neckbands/breast plates hardly ever fit western saddles, but OhHappyDay sent me a breast plate she wasn't using, which was perfect for me. I cut up another vest and sewed two tubes which I slipped onto the breast plate. This was such a simple thing to do! And easy to remove if I want to use the breast plate without the reflectives. I'm thinking of adding either snaps or velcro to the ends of the tubes so they will stay on better when hanging in the tack room.

Lights on!

Lights off! I didn't make the leg bands, but I plan to make some soon because those yellow ones aren't too good.

We're now visible from behind, from the front and from both sides!

Comments/questions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 02:09:26 PM »

awesome, great way to ride safely at night!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
MightyMouse
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 02:03:37 AM »

wow, I have to make one of those too! great idea! (and hooray for horse-crafts Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OhHappyDay
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 08:09:02 AM »

That turned out EXCEPTIONALLY well. I am not only impressed, but blown away! I think legs bands (and how about a reflective ear net?) would make you a walking caution sign and people will see and very likely slow waaaaay down to see what in the world a glowing "Smokie" is. LOL.

I also love that it's caution yellow for day. Horse/auto accidents happen all too often and you can't be too safe. Oh, and then those moose hunters! Shocked

And who would have thought that the breast plate that has had no job in my tack room in Indiana for 5 years, would be reconned and working wonders in Sweden? I just think it's pretty cool Cool.

And chilly days are here so the lovely neck warmer you sent me is waiting by the door Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imrahil
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008 08:36:59 AM »

Yeah, let's not forget about the sight challenged moose hunters!

I think I'm too much of a chicken to ride around town with a glowing ear net Wink, but I'll definitely make some bridle pieces, and some for his halter in case he breaks out of his pen in the dark. I think I'll try making some wider leg bands than the ones he has now, maybe with two reflective strips on each. That caution fabric is so easy to work with that I'm coming up with all sorts of safety stuff to make, both for the horse and other uses.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

imrahil
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008 12:54:39 AM »

Yesterday I made some bridle and halter pieces.

Bridle:

You can see how the top one on the cheekpiece looks much neater than the other ones. That's because it's fleece lined. If I make any more of these they'll all be lined with fleece. I made five pieces, one for the browband and two for each cheekpiece. I like how the buckle shows between the two reflective pieces, but for a bridle with smaller buckles I think I'd make longer pieces and only use one on each side.

Halter:
Sorry about the blurry picture.
The crown piece I just slipped on, but the rest had to be hand stitched because I didn't want to mess around with velcro. I suppose I'll just hand wash the entire halter if needed. I used a cheap fleece blanket and some leftovers from the sheet project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OhHappyDay
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008 05:23:19 AM »

Now that is and excellent idea. I'm going to steal your inspiration and make some day-glo stuff for the pony harness. We won't drive at night but having caution yellow for the road will only make us more safe.
Happy, Safe Trails to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imrahil
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008 07:50:16 AM »

That sounds like a great idea! People and horses aren't half as visible as they think on a rainy morning along the road. I keep imagining your pony wearing a yellow sheet with a reflective jolly roger on it Grin Not sure why!
I tried making a leg band, but it turned out way too small ('m glad I only made one to start with) but I'm working on it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

very_vizsla
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008 04:32:02 PM »

*very* awesome quarter sheet!! i'm really amazed at how well it glows in the dark!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to wear a boring dog collar - Custom made handbeaded dog collars & martingale collars
dragonflyinlove
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008 05:11:29 PM »

Great work!

I always just wear a vest and some leg bands on the horse but its been pretty foggy lately and this is just what I need!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The worth of a rider is not measured by the times they fall but by the times they get back on.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a New Blank Document in InDesign CS3
How to Create a New Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a New Document From a Template in Illustrator CS3
How to Create a New Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Create a New Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...