A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,973
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress to wear to the wedding of inlaws that hate me.. HELP!  (Read 6648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008 12:51:04 PM »

Wow! Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

I was tempted to go hobo-chick... or goth (it IS October  Wink ) but I live next door to these people and we share a driveway.. so I need to do whatever I can to keep some sort of peace.

I love the infinity dresses, but I made one and it seemed to just highlight every roll, arm flab, or bit of back-fat .. no matter how I wrapped it  Sad

The wedding is very much fall-themed and will be in the evening. However we live in a very rural area so I'm not sure that evening wear would work. Besides that, I don't want to be accused of trying to up-stage the bride or anyone. So I figured a more casual pattern with slightly dressier fabric would work? I'm partial to number 2 and number 3.

I just can't thank everyone enough for the help and advice  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008 12:53:15 PM »

Have you considered a 2 piece outfit? I find it easier to keep all my bulges under control with a skirt and top. Good luck - I'm sorry what should be a happy family time is so stressful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
SunflowerSmiles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008 12:57:41 PM »

I love the third one!  since it's fall and all...I think that would be beautiful on you!  good luck with attending the wedding...bummer it has to be so stressful.  but hey! you get to wear a pretty dress somewhere! that's always a great thing to celebrate for me!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008 01:32:08 PM »

I would definitely go with number 3 the biggest picture (Is that a letter C??) and enjoy the free food XD I love cake so that is the best part for me if I don't even know the couple getting married. But maybe that is just me  Roll Eyes good luck with the dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008 01:32:31 PM »

For an evening wedding you should be dressed in dressy clothes. Rich tones would be nice at this time of year.

I think it is impossible to upstage a bride, but I think the etiquette is that guests don't wear white.  I love the patterns you chose!  (In my opinion, any bride who worries about being upstaged is a bit loony.  Roll Eyes )

It's too bad that the bride is a bit of a bridezilla, but you'll feel better if you just go through the motions and wish them well for at least that one day.  Lay low and say nice things, even if other people don't.    Tongue

And I'm with Batgirl.. I keep bulges at bay better when I wear separates.  Those girdle body suits are good too.  The photos people take of family at weddings are on display forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008 01:43:44 PM »

Hey girl!  I too am tall and a little fluffy like yourself so here's my 2 cents.  I own all 3 of those patterns you want to purchase and by far the best one for the wedding is the 3rd one.  The first one is not nice on the arms for us heavier dames, the second one the sis-in-law might accuse you of looking like a hippy (sounds like she has some appearance issues and that dress while very pretty can be a little on the hippy side) and the 3rd sews up beautifully, especially the main view with the 3/4 sleeves.
Good luck choosing, hope the wedding goes well!
Beth
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008 06:20:46 PM »

Hi Wildfyre,
All three dresses are pretty, but speaking as a working costume designer and costume technician, I'd say go with #2, in a classy fabric.  That dress can be "dressed up" or "dressed down", depending on which fabric you choose, and the accessories you wear.  Fabric here is key.  I know someone mentioned it being too hippie, but I think that would only be the case if you choose a retro fabric (either in color or pattern, ie, avacado and rust, or a crinkle cotton like a boho skirt etc).   If you like fabrics with patterns, go with a medium floral/asian style with the shorter sleeve.  (Too much sleeve at the waistline will pool at the waist, hiding your curves instead of accenting them.)  Large patterns, and small patterns are less flattering for the same reason, scale.  They are bad in scale on the body.  Big ones stretch across the curves becoming distorted, and small ones look smaller on a large expanse of fabric. Go with something knit and drapey so that it will flow over the bust and hips and snug in very slightly at the waist.  Also, a dress like this is very forgiving if you either gain or loose some weight, since you can tie it as tight as you like, and it stretches.

Wrap style dresses *CAN* look great on curvy shapes, but they can also look terrible.  It all depends on how that pattern fits your body.  Remember that commercial patterns are built for a woman who is 5'7" and a B cup.  The patterns are then sized up and down off that base.  Sometimes you end up with a pattern that makes up for a full bust by giving you huge shoulders or a really long torso that doesn't translate onto your figure.  This is especially true in shirt dresses.  If you're really good at doing alterations on yourself, and have a dressmakers dummy very close to your size, then this isn't too bad. 

Finally, I'm sorry for the wedding drama.  I hope you manage to enjoy it for your man.  Remember, being impecably dressed is the best revenge there is. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008 09:00:07 AM »

I agree with a lot of the others, I think the third one would look great on you, especially in a rich fall color. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008 09:31:03 AM »

I agree with Jennieingram. I still like #2. When I see #3, I think of spending the whole evening with my tummy sucked in, but #2 looks like you could relax and still have a great waistline. I think it would look fantastic in a rich wine tone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piratebunny
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008 06:09:01 PM »

We just went through a family wedding this summer where the groom's best man was his brother and the bride chose the best man's wife to be her maid of honor "slave" just because. It was so heated that I think it was almost two months after the wedding before we all got together again.

Somehow weddings bring out the worst in people. We all wanted to kill our new sister-in-law by the time the wedding day arrived. And then the wedding went horribly because the bride and groom were so spoiled, basically. They did nothing.

I feel your pain. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's really not right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...