A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dress to wear to the wedding of inlaws that hate me.. HELP!  (Read 5107 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
« on: October 02, 2008 11:40:12 AM »

OK, short version is I'm under a lot of pressure on this because the bride (my soon to be sister in law) hates me. But because my husband and the groom (brothers) are very close, we have to attend the wedding. My hubby was set to be the best man but the bride kicked him out of the wedding over appearances. So we are under a lot of stress to be dressed perfectly now.. even as guests. (I hate all the drama in this family  Lips sealed)

The wedding is in 2 weeks and I've found these patterns.. but I haven't been to a wedding in ages so I have no idea what is appropriate. I want to look my best, and as un-offensive as possible.

Any recommendations on fabric? Or which of the three is best? Both for the occasion and for my body type.

I'm tall and chubby. This is me (ignore the dorky expression)-

These are the patterns I found-

I'm going to JoAnn's to get the supplies Saturday so any help you can offer is greatly appreciated  Grin I'm seriously fashion-challenged so I need the advice  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 08:13:06 PM by Wildfyre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 11:53:50 AM »

I think that all three are beautiful and definitely will flatter your figure. If I had to pick one, it would be the middle one. As far as fabric, I'm clueless. I need help in that area myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008 12:00:32 PM »

its in the fall, so do fall colors, oranges, reds, browns, tans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 12:05:10 PM »

This bride sounds like a total witch...I am so sorry you have to deal with this and I'm even sorrier that your husband can't even be his brother's best man!!! This should be a big red flag to the groom that this kind of behavior will only get worse once the wedding is over...but it's not for me to lecture.

At any rate...

The first pattern is cute, but the sleeveless looks summery and the short sleeved one looks a little dowdy.

The second one is much more "hip" and trendy without being too much of an attention grabber...it's tasteful. I like the design in the middle with the shorter sleeves.

The third one looks a bit summery.

I vote for the second one. Hopefully you have a JoAnn Etc. nearby you...their fabric selection is double...even triple...the selection of smaller JoAnn's. Use the guidelines they give on the back of the pattern envelope for the types of fabric to use and find those fabrics in the apparel section. I bet there are some lovely fall colors out now that would look so great on your skin tone.

Don't let that bridezilla get you down! It may be her day, but she does not get to be a dictator!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Steelygaze
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 12:11:11 PM »

I would suggest either the top or the bottom pattern.  With your figure (similar to mine) I would say that you would look great in a v necked pattern.  I know what you mean about family drama, just make sure whatever pattern you pick is one that you will love so that you can have a good memory from the wedding no matter what! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steelygaze...Not all those who wander are lost
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008 12:19:32 PM »

I would think any of these would be appropriate for a typical daytime wedding. If it is an evening or especially fancy daytime wedding I might go with something dressier. Keep in mind with any of these dresses if you have a bust larger than a C you will probably need to do modifications to the pattern so I recommend making a muslin mock-up before sewing with your good fabric. Try not to sew in a hurry or you will mess up and get frustrated!

I like the kimono dress the best personally. Check the pattern envelope for fabric types.

You might also look at some of the tutes on here. I had more luck sewing a dress from the dragon dress tutorial than from a pattern, because it was based on my measurements. The infinity dress also looks really nice on lots of different figures and is dressy. There was recently a post of whole bridal party wearing it and they all had it tied differently.

Oh and check out this one: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=266961.0

PS I'm sorry you have to deal with Bridezilla and the rest of the inlaws. I don't think I could handle inlaws that were that unpleasant.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 12:23:32 PM by Feast Your Eyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008 12:20:07 PM »

hey hon

I have a figure like yours, tall and plumptious. i made a dress from a burda pattern, but from one of the world of fashion magazines, but basically look for something that is like a wrap dress, as though it were open fronted and pulled to fasten to one side. which gives a v-neck, great for slimming the neck and drawing the eyes down (you can make the neck as low as you want) wrapped/ruched extra fabric across the waist, thus hiding bulges, the skirt will then have a slit in the front, sleeves to elbow length as it'll cover a multitide of sins. A stretch fabric, so the fit will be good. A tip, if you are working with jersey, hand hem the front edges!

do a search for diane von furstenberg wrap dress, thats similar to the style, I didnt make mine with a collar as some of them have, but it is amazingly flattering. I made one for myself in a slightly stretchy satiny fabric and it is the single most flattering thing I own.

another tip IMHO! dont be tempted to wear any support underwear, magic knickers or the like, if you are likely to be cross at the wedding, then you need to be really comfortable so that there is nothing irritating you!!

PS, dont know the weather where you are, but a little shrug or shawl would look good with a dress like that, you could cut down an old sweater or cardigan to make a shrug, bind the edges with fabric

I'd love to see the results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008 12:25:19 PM »

Looking again at the patterns, the third one seems to be the closest to what i am describing.

I am a D cup and found that I didnt have to adjust the pattern because I used a jersey fabric. I love how the infinity dress looks, but I made one and it looked awful on me!

You are very tolerant though, with a bridezilla like that I'd be tempted to go in hobo-chic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aml
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008 12:39:21 PM »

I don't now how good you sew, but I find taffeta or dupiony type fabrics really easy to sew and they look really classy. There are really good polyester versions available nowadays. They are cheap and most people do not notice the difference between those and real silk anymore.
Concerning the pattern I would not recommend the second one. This one needs nice flowing fabric like satin which is really slippery. I did the butterick version of this one using satin... It looks great in the right angle but makes me look pregnant in almost every other angle. Plus it was a pain to sew and I am not able to get my arms up because I fear to rip out the sleeves. This version of the pattern might be better...
Well to com to a point I'd say no1 or 3 with a V-neck mad of a nice taffeta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008 12:49:35 PM »

I have a colleague with a very similar figure to yours and has a dress very similiar to option 3 - it looks SMASHING on her  (with short sleeves). so that one is my pick.

ok - all wedding etiquette aside - I would stay away from bright colors - you seriously need to blend in for this situation. I would suggest a very warm beige tending towards orange with your hair or a deep dark brown.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Ways to Look Slimmer Instantly
How to Wear Sheer This Fall
One Maxi Dress Styled 10 Ways
Digital Dressing Room: Hardwired
United States in Style: New Mexico
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...