A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Laundry Soap!  (Read 29307 times)
Tags for this thread: laundry_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008 07:56:07 AM »

W :)W

Holy hanna this is awesome, thank you so much for sharing

Now one quick question - would I be able to substitute Dr. Bronner's soap for the Fels-Naptha?  I just bought a 32 oz-er on sale last night and I would love to be able to use it for laundry detergent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008 08:11:51 AM »

Now one quick question - would I be able to substitute Dr. Bronner's soap for the Fels-Naptha?  I just bought a 32 oz-er on sale last night and I would love to be able to use it for laundry detergent!

I was wondering the same thing about Dr. Bronner's!  Someone else mentioned they used a different brand of castille soap, so it seems like it would probably work. 

I'm so excited to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momma2FIVEgirls

Still creating the ever growing to do list........

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008 08:21:46 AM »

We use a very similar receipe for our laundry soap. We use the liquid version because that's easier for me to mix up. My husband has severe exzema and we have to be very careful about what we use. I have tried many different soaps and I usually use the same soap he washes with, Dove Sensitive Skin. This works well for us, and we have 5 munchkins to test it with.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008 08:37:56 AM »

This looks great.  Thanks for the recipe and instructions. 

A few questions though:

1. Is it safe to make this in appliances/dishes that will be used with food once washed?

2.  Could Sunlight cake soap be used as the soap?

Thanks so much, I love the idea of making your own laundry detergent. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
tivaclare
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008 08:51:42 AM »

Thanks for sharing this! I've seen this idea/similar recipe elsewhere and was wondering when it'd be on craftster.

I hope this is allowed, if not mods, please delete or edit. But for those who don't have access to a food processor to grind the ingredients, there is also a liquid recipe. I haven't made it yet, but plan to this weekend. I've heard good things about it from others who have used it. The ingredients are cheap and you can get a huge bucket at Walmart (only store we have) in the paint section for under $4.

http://christianhomekeeper.blogspot.com/2007/02/homemade-laundry-detergent.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008 09:20:56 AM »

If you are doing the gel version you don't need to worry about the food processer, you can chop or shred the soap up since it is going to be melted down anyways. You can use pretty much any real soap, it is better if it is unscented, and if it cp/hp soap that you make it is good to be unscented, uncolored, and 0% superfatted, you don't want extra oils floating around in your laundry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
MirthFairy
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008 09:42:23 AM »

I was wondering the same thing about Dr. Bronner's!  Someone else mentioned they used a different brand of castille soap, so it seems like it would probably work. 

No you can't. Fels-Naptha isn't a soap - it's a detergent, which is different.
(http://www.algebralab.org/passage/passage.aspx?file=Chemistry_Soaps.xml for a science lesson Cheesy)

On the other hand, I do seriously recommend a book called Clean House, Clean Planet by Karen Logan, which has a bunch of cleaners that do use Dr. Bronners. I use her Alice's Wonder Spray for everything. It smells lovely (which is to say it smells like whatever you scent it with), cleans wonderfully, and is really cheap to make.

BTW - I've been using this detergent for a while and have never heard of adding grapefruit. What's it supposed to do?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008 09:45:45 AM by MirthFairy - Reason: edited to add question » THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008 10:04:07 AM »

I only added the grapefruit because you have to have some edible part to the challenge.  It doesn't add anything.  You can't even smell it over the fels-naptha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008 10:15:23 AM »

I used this recipe for about a year (in a front loading washer) and realized one major problem...

I started to notice that my clothes were losing their shape and becoming *literally* threadbare. My lint trap (after every load) could have been spun into a small blanket.
after a ton of research I discovered that these ingredients need HOT water in order to dissolve properly and not beat up your clothes like sand would.
Then I started making it into a gel formula. This is slightly more time consuming, but the result is much better. (for me, anyway)
You can find that recipe at
http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Keep in mind, you have to stir the gel before every use or it settles.

Hope this was useful!

Oh, and about trying other soaps, anything glycerin based didn't work for me, but I was grating the soap by hand <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008 10:50:53 AM »

Snips and Snails- thanks so much for that tip!!!  I have a kit to make laundry soap at home, and I always wash in cold water!  I haven't made the soap yet, and I'm glad I read your comment before using it.  Off to check out your gel recipe...  Seriously, I owe you one  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Beef Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Ginger-Scallion Chicken Wings Recipe
Beef and Pineapple Red Curry Recipe
Pork and Veggie Dumplings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...