A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hoodies for cats!  (Read 15292 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , pet_bed , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zanthess
« on: October 01, 2008 11:31:21 PM »

So there are two reasons why I found it so difficult to find any type of outfit for cats.

One: Most cats don't need the extra insulation, and will feign death or go on a rampage when you try to put the outfit on, resulting in blood loss.
Two: You get permanently branded as the "creepy cat lady"

Well, luckily, I don't fit in either. My mom has had a Sphynx (hairless) cat for about 6 months, and now that it's getting cooler, has remembered how bone-chilling cold my stepdad keeps the house (to save money).

Worried as she is about her kitty, we found a few XS dog patterns (McCalls M5544). The XS was still twice her size, but we were able to shorten it a bit, and now have a pattern made just for cats!

This is my first clothing project, so any suggestions are welcome! What do you guys think?

My mom thought it would be funny to pull the hood over her head. Instead of freaking out, she curled up and went to sleep! This cat is weird...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
YammaY
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008 12:02:12 AM »

Aww! I love it! Its super cute:) And so is the kitty.. Hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008 12:09:21 AM »

haha! The whole picture is just great. I love the sweater (that fabric just screams 'cat sweater!' Wink) but the cat's body language really makes the outfit.
I haven't seen a sphinx in a long time. It's like seeing a naked cat! Second only to seeing a naked guinea pig, or 'skinny pig.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
librarylass
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 12:12:34 AM »

Looking at that kitty, I just want to make him a tail warmer, because I imagine in a cool house, paws and tails would FREEZE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a wist!
http://wists.com/Bookybabe
So I up and decided to do the whole blog thing...
http://ballysaxter.blogspot.com

I do personal swaps!
jilltheimpossible
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 05:06:52 AM »

aww you have a cute cat! i love the little outfit. if a cat's paws werent so sensitive i would recommend making little booties for him. but he would probably hate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008 05:39:02 AM »

Aww, how sweet!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

livelavish

[keep it trill]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008 05:43:59 AM »

Great fabric choice!  The pictures are awesome on so many levels.  Hooray for "naked"  pets! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008 06:24:53 AM »

Really cool outfit. Unfortunately, since both my cats have plenty of natural inspiration, I'll just have to look at yours and wish.  Neither would let the first paw through a sleeve, let alone a whole sweet skully jacket. Hmph. 

I love the thought that ANY cat would be calm enough to stay under the hood and sleep! I bet it is nice and warm in there!

Great job, and sweet of you to think of the kitty's comfort!

(Ooh...what about a kitty corn heating pad for it to cuddle with? We use those in the shop for our outdoor cats when the temps drop below 20 degrees. We just cover the microwaved corn bag with some towels or something so they're not right on the very warm corn. My husband is hinky about letting them play with electrical corded items, or they'd be on REAL all-night-long heating pads.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008 06:36:45 AM »

Really cool outfit. Unfortunately, since both my cats have plenty of natural inspiration, I'll just have to look at yours and wish.  Neither would let the first paw through a sleeve, let alone a whole sweet skully jacket. Hmph. 

I love the thought that ANY cat would be calm enough to stay under the hood and sleep! I bet it is nice and warm in there!

Great job, and sweet of you to think of the kitty's comfort!

(Ooh...what about a kitty corn heating pad for it to cuddle with? We use those in the shop for our outdoor cats when the temps drop below 20 degrees. We just cover the microwaved corn bag with some towels or something so they're not right on the very warm corn. My husband is hinky about letting them play with electrical corded items, or they'd be on REAL all-night-long heating pads.)

For an inside kitty it could be taken a step further, maker the kitty a cuddly bed (there's a tut on here somewhere) with a pocket to slip the heating pack into. I bet that would keep it nice and toasty!

This is so cute If I ever get a fifth kitty I want a Spinx they are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008 06:38:26 AM »

my cat would kiiiiiilllll me if I tried that Wink

http://www.meankitty.com/Gallery1/hankstank.htm

awesome hoodie, I may try to make one, but I'll need a few of you to provide backup while I try to put it on (bring Kevlar)..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sam Harris Talks About The Moral Landscape
Meet Authors Robin and Michael Mastro
Roz Chast Talks About Too Busy Marco
Dr. Oz Talks About YOU: Raising Your Child
David Rabe Talks About Girl by the Road at Night
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...