A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Measuring Tape Cozy made from felt  (Read 5698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2008 08:30:09 PM »

First, give credit where credit is due: Thanks to Graced for the wonderful Tute here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=231569.0
Thanks also to monkeythumb for listening to my confusion and giving me advice.

I finished my first one. This one will be kept by me, since it's horribly ugly and I got blood on it. But I did this one just to see if I could and I can. I'll be making about six of these as christmas gifts this year, so I'm glad it woked out. Go easy on me....

Any idea what I'm doing wrong with the button pull, it looks messier than it should. I know the stiching is messy too, and I'm working on that.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Grin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 04:35:52 AM by daina » THIS ROCKS   Logged
brensue68
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008 08:58:27 PM »

Very nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008 06:48:26 AM »

oh it's so cute! i love that you embroidered the side, i am far too lazy to add so much detail myself. i'm tempted though because it looks so nice Wink.

here are my pointers:
1~ i put the button that you push to retract the tape on the side that doesn't get embellished, on the back like. keeps whatever design you stitch or add more flat, kwim?
2~ for the ribbon on the pull make it a little longer and you must use a fray check or dilluted white glue on the cut edge (not too much) or something to keep it from, well, fraying! but other than that your button placement and such look terrific.

wonderful job, excellent first try. i give it an A+!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 07:20:40 AM »

Tee hee!

I haven't been on craftster much lately...just lucked into your lovely post today! Thanks for the "credit!"

You did a beautiful job!

I like your embroidery on the side. Did you freehand/make up the design?

I tried to use some new stitches (from a library book)...got totally frustrated at my inability to do more than three stitches in a row without having to look back at the diagrams. I tore out the green/yellow one below so much it looked fuzzy and I was ashamed to give it to my friend!

I grow old, I grow old....

My last two:

I agree with the fabulous MonkeyThumb about the glue/fraycheck. I think the blue ribbon above needs a bit more....

I still put the sewn-on button on top of the push-to-retract button, but I like her thinking on it. I may try it on the next one.

I've begun to pad mine--make it a scant 1/4" larger, add a layer of fleece batting. Just a little more lush, you know? When (if?!) I finish one, I'll share the photo!

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
daina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008 07:30:46 AM »

Thanks Ladies for the advice and the compliments. I may try another one today if my hands cooperate:)

I just eyed the distance between the lazy dazy stitches and added a french knot. This was my first time using wool felt instead of the cheap stuff and I wanted to practice stitching on it. They aren't perfect, but you def get the idea:)

I didn't add any design to the bottom, but I'm thinking on the gifts I will use their names on the bottom....

I will def find my all-too-large stash of fray check and poor the bottle on the ribbon(j/k, but you know)

Please post more pics when you make them. I love seeing examples to copy Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008 09:12:33 AM »

oh man, you just gave me the BEST idea about adding stuffing. why not make the top a pincushion? you could do so many amazing designs, like a mushroom, a house, the leaning tower of pisa, etc etc etc while the button on the bottom would keep the tape measure functioning.
i'm doing it! i'll show you what i come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008 09:20:36 AM »

oh man, you just gave me the BEST idea about adding stuffing. why not make the top a pincushion? you could do so many amazing designs, like a mushroom, a house, the leaning tower of pisa, etc etc etc while the button on the bottom would keep the tape measure functioning.
i'm doing it! i'll show you what i come up with.

Why not???That's a great idea!!!! a lady bug?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008 01:03:14 PM »

Daina,  your embroidery is beautiful. I used to embroider while watching TV, but now, even with glasses, I can see one or the other, but not both. Sigh.

Your use of the good felt, real wool, must explain those awesomely vivid colors. I just haven't found any where I live, and since I have a stack about 12" deep of the cheapo stuff, I hate to start randomly ordering off the web. Somehow, I have to find a use for all the yuk so I can justify buying me some nice felt!

MonkeyThumb...I didn't pad mine too much, just that 1/8" piece of fleece. I bet you could make it a square, or a great big circle, or whatever! I love the thought of a red mushroom!

I tried making a pincushion one but I put the pouf on top, and it gets hard to push the button while avoiding pins, you know? I want to see what YOU get from the idea, because I'm sure it'll work better than my poufy-topped disaster! Anything you make with felt is way cute, so please hurry and make one we can all copy for Christmas!  Cheesy

So's you can improve on what I couldn't get to work:  Imagine a donut-looking thing, with a button where the hold should be. I  indented the sewn-on button on the top, sort of like on a cushion, and made it about 1/2" thick poufy in a ring around it. Again, my sewn-on button was over the top of the push-to-retract button, so probably your push-on-the-bottom idea would work better? I don't even know where the disaster got to, or I'd send you a picture to dissect!

I wanna see!!! Wink
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008 01:59:46 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008 01:35:41 PM »

i'm working on it tonight, hopefully pics by tomorrow.

i have a three foot stack of craft felt. seriously, every colour i could find and then some. i have a problem i think Roll Eyes.
but i've been making little monsters out of it so that's alright!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008 02:01:11 PM »

Ooh, sweet MonkeyThumb, I was KIDDING! Don't go out of your way...!

Well, unless you WANT to, in which case I'll be delighted to see what you come up with. Cheesy

Monsters? What monsters? Did I miss something while I was digging out from the hurricanes?! I'll have to see if I can find some MonkeyThumb monster photos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Reuse Old Business Cards
How to Sharpen Scissors
How to Strip Wood
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Bag
How to Turn a Hoodie Into a Laptop Bag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...