A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 303,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with pirate costumes.  (Read 790 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 01, 2008 02:11:33 PM »

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
I have 13 bucks to my name and about a week left to get something piratey together.
My fiance already has his head gear but needs ways to come up with pirate pants and shirt, he has a good bit more money then i do so his wont be as hard to find and he has most of his stuff together.

My problem is that I have nothing more then a shirt and a corset piratey looking belt. So Any cheap ideas for head gear and bottoms would be wonderful. I thank you from now XD in case I forget.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008 03:30:22 PM »

See if you have any black yoga pants - you know the kind that have really wide legs? If not, do you have a long black skirt? You can make yourself a girlie pirate. Here is some examples.

See if you can find a scarf or a wrap that you can tie around your head. If not, borrow from a friend or take a trip to Walmart. They have some cheap ones in the women's section. Add some cheap hoop earings - also at Walmart.

Do you have any boots or can borrow some from a friend? If not, you can wear tights with black shoes to give the look of boots.

The key part is the eye patch - take some black string or ribbon and make one of out of fabric. You can paint a skull on it using paint or even white out.

The best thing about Pirates is they are not suppose to the Disney perfect stereotype. Pirates are a jumble of everything and that is what makes them pirates! See if you can raid your friends closets or thrift store and put together something. Oh and be sure to rock the pirate lingo too!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008 05:41:42 PM »

get thee to the Goodwill! Grin

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008 07:42:54 AM »

I agree that gaucho or culotte pants are your best bet.  Visit the dollar store and get a pirate kit - they usually include an earring, eyepatch, and hook - then grab a bandana while you're there.  Last year I was Oprah for Halloween and painted my face with dark foundation, but I didn't like how my hair turned out so I just changed into my default pirate costume halfway through.  Well, my blotchy dark face looked amazing for a pirate - like I'd been swabbing decks all summer long.  So I highly recommend doing that.  I got my foundation at the dollar store too.  Have your fiance get a cheap red & white striped shirt and some black sweatpants that you can either cut off the bottoms of or tuck into some black boots.  And he should get a bandana kit too, plus a sword.  Seriously check out the dollar store for all accessories, though.

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Technological Demi-Goddess

Eat Your Heart Out, Clint

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008 09:41:55 AM »

For the pants- there's a tutorial floating around for making yoga pants from really oversized t-shirts. You cna probably get a huge discount black or striped t-shirt for cheap and make your pirate pants. As a variation, instead of leaving them loose, tie them tightly at the knee (or wherever they end) and make then like balloon pants.

Find the hidden in the obvious.
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008 09:54:29 AM »

baggy linen trousers are on sale loads of places as they try to clear summer stock, and they're really good pirate pants, but i've seen people pull it off with tattered old jeans
headgear = bandana, you can buy one, or a square of fabric, or if it comes to it, a triangular bandage does a fab job, and you can dye them any colour you like

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint a Realistic Eye
How to Draw a Cap, Creating the Illusion of 3D
How to Draw a Sphere
How to Draw a Water Drop
Everyone Wants Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...