A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reversible jumpers and a (melodramatic) farewell of sorts  (Read 4852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008 08:11:40 PM »

The jumpers are lovely and, as usual, brillant fabrics. 

I also have benefitted greatly from craftster stirring up this great well of creativity in myself which has seen me through some nasty times.  In fact, I started teaching myself how to sew after discovering this website.  It's not craftster, though, of course, it's you.  Even if you aren't sewing, there are millions of ways to get that crafty lift. 

Too bad about the kids not wanting to share... mine have to share too when the little guy gets big enough.  I never thought it might not work (gulp!)

ps, me again, I just remembered what I did when my kids where small.
I sat inside the playpen, a large old wooden one, with my sewing machine, while they played on the outside in the main room.
Looked truly odd, but worked a treat!
S

Okay, if you don't have pics, somebody has to recreate this scene and take shots.  It's inspired and funny as hell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilgamesh
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008 08:17:59 PM »

the dresses are adorable! Lol I was so confused for a minute, cos where I live a jumper means a woollen sweater, and I was like  Huh  But you have not only shown me the cutest kid clothes ever but also expanded my vocabulary today!!

I'm sad you're giving up something you love! If it makes you happy, you should keep at it! How about getting a roll-top desk? I dunno if they're an American thing - they have a top that rolls up and down to cover whatever is sitting on the desk, or you can get ones that have a top that folds down - that way you can cover your seing machine until you're using it.
Good luck!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa: "You've fallen through the cracks of our quick-fix, one-hour photo, instant oatmeal society!"
faithsmama
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008 09:14:32 PM »

okay, i think it's official. kitsch, you're quite simply not allowed to stop sewing or posting. we have consensus here even Wink i adore your posts, these jumpers are just so sweet, i want to make a dozen for my monster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
string theory
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008 12:16:10 AM »

You know, I am having this same problem currently... Although it is still going to happen in the future. We have a two bedroom condo and my DD is 15 months old and is living in the walk in closet in our bedroom ( it is plenty of room for a crib and all of her necessary objects). I am terrified of her moving in with her brother (3 years old)  which will happen soon since she is a climber and doesn't think of consequences before she acts... we will have them in the same room before I really want. Since my hubby is in school right now (getting his masters in architecture) and we have no means to move out of our current living situation... I have set up a sewing area in the living room that is literally  4 feet squared... only my sewing table... no extras... but, it works pretty well for what I must do. It is in the corner between the other two couches so that I can easily segregate the space from the kids. they know that they can't go back there... even my baby (15 mo. old) knows that she can't go there... I still can really only get anything done until they go to sleep, but that is better than nothing!
   so in other words, there is hope!  set yourself up an area that is separate from the rest of the living space...
  I am still terrified of the merging of the rooms... I am hoping that it can be put off until DS is old enough to not take a nap at least
 (that will make it easier)!!! Hopefully DD won't decide that she can climb over the railing of her crib too soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitschyCoo
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008 03:03:23 AM »

Well, all these amazing posts has just confirmed to me that Craftster is the best place in the world!  Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.  Like vegbee, I didn't start sewing until I found this site.  Teaching myself to sew would have been impossible without all the resources and support here, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't have even tried!  I was creative / crafty when I was young, but it kinda got it drummed out of me through academics and career, so to find a place that showed crafting in such a positive light and that it was worthwhile was liberating.

Although sewing for the kids is my absolute favourite thing to do and I do it as much as I can, I also make a (small) living from it, enough that I am able to stay home with them when they are little and not go back to the big, bad corporate world and never see them.  So the loss of the room became the loss of a career and the fear of having to find a job outside the home.  And the fact the 'real' people around me saw the end of my sewing no big deal ('so what, the kids will be in school in a couple of years and you can start again'), made me feel even more disheartened and that it wasn't worth it.

But thanks to y'all, I'm going to keep going even if the sewing machine is stored in the oven and serger in the freezer.  It's so important for me to stay home with the kids, I have to make it work.  I'll shall be sticking my fingers in my ears and singing 'la la la' whenever anyone tells me it's time to get a 'real' job.

Biggest, most genuine thank you ever, I knew you would understand.  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008 07:18:16 AM »

But thanks to y'all, I'm going to keep going even if the sewing machine is stored in the oven and serger in the freezer.

Haha!!! That made me burst out lauging (doesn't happen often)!

Three cheers for KitschyCoo! And three more cheers for Craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
pixiepurls
Knitting, Spinning & Podcasting

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008 07:58:37 AM »

I'm so sorry you lost your room. Could you find some sort of cabinet to hide it in, in your bedroom? I found a small but tall cabinet at walmart that looks like a tall and narrow china cabinet, but it's made to hide a sewing machine and could fit some fabric too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blog:          http://www.pixiepurls.com
Knitting Podcast:     http://podcast.pixiepurls.com
deeredone2
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008 08:31:45 AM »

CUTE!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008 09:22:03 AM »

And the fact the 'real' people around me saw the end of my sewing no big deal ('so what, the kids will be in school in a couple of years and you can start again'), made me feel even more disheartened and that it wasn't worth it.

Pffffttt to real people is what I say  Wink

Us fake people are so much better, Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008 09:50:55 AM »

And the fact the 'real' people around me saw the end of my sewing no big deal ('so what, the kids will be in school in a couple of years and you can start again'), made me feel even more disheartened and that it wasn't worth it.

Pffffttt to real people is what I say  Wink

Us fake people are so much better, Wink Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I agree with Jayneysews! Pfffffftttt to real people!:) Unless they are supportive, then YAY to real people:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Messy Bun and Freshen Up Your Hair
How to Curl African American Hair Naturally
How to Get Soft and Shiny Hair With Oil Treatments
A Banging New Hair Salon
Hot Hair Trend: Celebs Darken Up Their Locks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...