A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sleep Sack Tutorial (PICTURE OVERLOAD!)  (Read 11767 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AbbyRose
« on: October 03, 2008 11:00:56 AM »

This is my first tutorial so be gentle Smiley

Take a sleeper of the same size you want your sleep sack to be and draw an outline around it to get the right size and shape. Sketch out the straps for your snaps (or buttons) as well. Mine are about 3" long.

Cut out one back and one front piece out of the lining fabric and the outer fabric.

Place the back pieces and the front pieces good sides together and stitch where I've marked in the pictures, from 'x' to 'x'.

Turn right side out and press.

Place the front and back pieces together and flip up the outer fabric.

Sew up the sides of the lining fabric starting where the outer and lining fabric meet.

Sew all the way up the side and around the corner, stopping a couple of inches in at the bottom, leaving a hole for turning.

Do the other side of the lining and sew the sides of the outer fabric in the same manner, remembering to leave the hole for turning.

Now you will have this:

Reach in through the outer fabric and pull the lining fabric out. This is when I check my stitches to make sure there are no holes.

Stuff the lining back into the sleep sack. Now you will sew up the bottom.

Sew the hole closed at the bottom of the sleep sack, trim the access.

Turn the sleep sack inside-out and sew along the bottom encasing the outer stitches in the seam.

Turn right-side out and mark the position for your snaps (or buttons). I use polyacetal snaps so that's all I have to show you. Add your snaps and you're done!

Phew! I thnk it took me longer to make the tutorial than it did to make the sleep sack! Hope you enjoy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
nemejia
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 11:07:39 AM »

just a thought...

It might be handy to have the bottom open-able and close-able, like with snaps or something for those middle of the night diaper changes. It would be hard to keep a sleeping baby asleep while trying to get them out of this.

I'm just remembering those cold nights when you hate to wake the baby because you know that their diaper is so wet it just might explode!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AbbyRose
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008 11:11:06 AM »

Good thought! Not difficult to do either. Just pin up the hole with the inner front to the outer front and the inner back to the outer back, stitch it up and add 3 or 4 snaps. Thanks for the idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008 02:26:04 PM »

Wow cute and simple. This is on my list of things to make for a baby shower coming soon. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
BibbleBabble
Never gets diaper rash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008 02:33:58 PM »

I lub this. They're so functional. I think I'm going to load up on cute flannels and get to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lorchick
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008 10:09:57 PM »

another option for material is polarfleece... then you don't need to line it! and if you're into that, you can blanket stitch... I find if I buy 1m of polarfleece I can make two sleeper sacs big enough to fit 12-18mos generously. Also, if you have a fighter (oh, do i have a fighter) when it comes to bedtime, if you skip the buckles and just make the neck opening big enough to fit them in, and then sew in a generous chunk of soft knit ribbing, you can pop them in before they see you coming and then the ribbing keeps them snug as a bug in a ... sac! haha. (i also put ribbing in the armholes... but I live in Winnipeg so there you go. brr! lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
michellesangel
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008 10:19:43 PM »

i don't know why, but the pics don't load for me Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesangel
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008 04:47:26 AM »

ok, so now the pics work  Roll Eyes very cute sleep sack and thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Munora
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008 06:17:25 PM »

Great idea. I think I might try it. I'll probably sneak a few snaps in the side up top . Just to make it easier to get him in and out. Or maybe Velcro. That real soft kind. Does anyone know what that's called?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
AbbyRose
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008 07:26:40 PM »

Great idea. I think I might try it. I'll probably sneak a few snaps in the side up top . Just to make it easier to get him in and out. Or maybe Velcro. That real soft kind. Does anyone know what that's called?

The kind often used on cloth diapers? Applix. I think you can only order it online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Almond Yogurt Waffles and Strawberry Milkshake Recipe
How to Make Pork and Black Bean Chili
Red Beans and Rice Recipe
How to Make Fudge: Homemade Holiday Recipe
BBQ Baked Beans Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...