A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
621 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slightly Demented Slip-Stitch Cardigan (now with TUTORIAL)  (Read 4922 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisascenic
« on: February 27, 2005 03:55:01 PM »

I just realized that I never shared this project.  I designed this one for my one-year-old niece, using the slip stitch technique for colored knitting.  In this technique, you only are knitting one color at a time, but you slip colors from previous rows that you want to appear on your current row.  The slipping of stiches creates a subtle curve in the rows...  I used Barbara Walker's books to teach myself this method of knitting.  Very clever woman, that Barbara! 

The sweater was knit with alternating rows of variegated German sock yarn and some Debbie Bliss yarn.

Please don't ask for a pattern.  I winged this one, and the sweater was given away at xmas, so I can't reverse-engineer a pattern.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 09:15:41 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

monstergirl
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005 04:10:08 PM »

Ha! I've been eyeing your avatar for quite a while...I had hoped it was something you created! That is an absolutely fantastic sweater! One of my personal goals this year is to learn mosaic knitting (aka slip stitch), and seeing that sweater makes me think that I, too, can make something as wonderous!

BTW, was this your first try at slip stitch? And, does it make more sense as you move along? I've tried following the quasi-directions at knitty.com but all I did was frustrate myself. (mental note: check out that book mentioned!)

peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suki
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005 06:25:00 PM »

That is beautiful!  Do you think mosaic knitting is easier than fair isle?  I'll have to learn more about it - I want to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005 07:31:25 PM »

Thanks for your nice words!

For me, both fair isle and slip stich colorwork are about the same level of easiness (or difficulty).  The traditional geometric patterns have a sort of structural logic, so once you have the pattern in your head, the knitting is pretty straight forward.  More pictoral images can be a bitch, because you're glued to your chart.

I believe that fair isle knitting uses twice as much yarn as slip stitch.  You're using both yarns on every row on fair isle, and only one color per row on slip stitch.  Fair isle comes out a lot thicker, so a fair isle garment will be a lot warmer, and less drapey.   Slip stitch knitting distorts the fabric you're making, because you're pulling your stitches up over three rows of knitting.  This is not a flaw, rather part of the "look" of the knitted fabric you're creating.  (See how my rows look a littled rounded.  That's typical.)

I hadn't tried slip stitch prior to this, and liked the pattern, so figured I would teach myself. I drew a chart in color, because I'm a very visual person.  I found it really easy, once I did a few rows. 

The book in question is A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara Walker.  Hundreds and hundreds of knitting patterns.  Loads of inspiration.  I've knitted dozens of her patterns, and have never, ever found a mistake.  The pattern I used was the Fretwork Pattern.

You can find this book at:
http://www.schoolhousepress.com/Books/General_Knowledge/general_knowledge.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tere
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005 05:03:54 AM »

Thats so impressive! I've never even heard of such a method for colour knitting. The effect is so interesting, and you did a really great job--looks so professional.
Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005 06:50:19 AM »

I know! I love that avatar thing too! Everytime I see it , I say to myself "whoah she's GOOD! And I must say, I am just blown away by that sweater!!! It looks really intricate! It's beeeeauteeeeeful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005 07:19:44 AM »

I love that slip stitch pattern!  I saw that in my reader's digest stitch library book and thought it would make a great purse.  I have some left over pink and cream linen that would would work great.  Its nice to see what it looks like done.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
lisascenic
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005 08:32:15 AM »

Wow, thanks y'all!  I had so much fun making this one.  It was a treat to see the patterns form as I worked.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005 10:33:14 PM by lisascenic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005 09:47:44 AM »

Wow!  I've been wondering about your pic also!  That looks really great. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
lisascenic
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005 06:29:14 PM »

haykin -- before you dive in with your linen slip stitch, I would swatch the pattern.  I don't know if a non-stretchy fiber like linen would work well, or not.  I'm really curious to hear about it if you do.

I have to say that I thought knitting with linen was a lot like knitting with cardboard.  Another demented project -- a nine-foot long lace shawl.  As sexy as it is, and as much as I love it now that it is finished, I don't need to do one of those again any time real son!

Well, it certainly doesn't take long for me to learn that I'm talking crap, once again!  I just got back from one of my s-n-b groups, and one of the members had just finished an excellent mosaic knit/slip stitch colorwork project in hemp.  It looked great!  Hemp is every bit as un-elastic as linen. 

So ignore my useless -- if well-meaning -- advice and knit on!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005 10:47:06 PM by lisascenic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smokey Eye Cat Makeup and Hair Tutorial
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredients TEA, DEA, MEA
Learn About Toxic Beauty Ingredient DMDM Hydantoin
How to Curl Hair With a Can
Tips on Using a Hair Straightener Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...